John Boorman's Queen and Country

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It is hardly getting any distribution at all. It is not playing anywhere in Chicago, but is at the Tivoli in Kansas City. I'm going to catch it this afternoon. Boorman is 82 and says this is his last film.

"Pink! Pink! Pink! What are all the PINK bits?"
    "The British Empire, Miss."
    "Right now there are men fighting and dying to save all the PINK bits for you ungrateful little twerps!"

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Please write back, Chris. I'm sad that this is being left to die on the vine by the studio. After Boorman's long career, that's pretty brutal.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Fantastic director. What a shame his career appears to be ending like this

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have been asked to relay this message from BBC America.

...it is most definitely NOT being dumped just a more traditional slow rollout. Already played NY, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, Boston ETC as opposed to a quickie theatrical release in a few cities and streaming DVD the next week. ( DVD will be in the summer)

Playing in 16 US markets this week ( 3 are holdovers) from San Diego to Philadelphia

Chicago IS coming but not till May. You can check out dates on website www.queenandcountrythefilm.com but we are adding them almost daily ( Chicago will be a Gene Siskel Film Center but waiting for exact date but will be a week in May). We are also opening Canada today ( Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria)

6. Chris DeVoe

Well, that is just silly. They are pretending that they are shipping a handful of prints around the country, when in fact they are files sitting on a server. I could see it if they were sending the director around to open it in different cities, but at 83 I doubt John Boorman is up for that.

I realize that it is hard to catch the publics attention in these "opening weekend" obsessed days, but their rollout is also about as relevant as zeppelin races.

7. Chris DeVoe

OK, I did manage to see it, by the way, and loved it. I caught it in Kansas City at the Tivoli, with half a dozen other people at the 4:30 PM matinee. I do with he had the energy to make one last film about his entry into the film business, but if this is his swan song, it is a beautiful one.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One heck of a director..

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm a big fan of his and look forward to seeing this film. Another recent one that went under the radar is The Tiger's Tail with Brendan Gleeson, it recently aired on one of the HBO channels. Lukewarm reviews but I really liked it, def worth seeing.

11. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

A great film-maker, more in line with the likes of Herzog, Scorcese, Bresson, and Kurasawa than most of his compatriots, many of whom essentially produce television for the big screen rather than films.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

Can we now have "Hope & Glory" on Blu-ray as a result of this! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.