John Kay/Steppenwolf's last gig this Sunday 10/14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les26, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Les26

Les26 Steppenwolf fanatic Thread Starter

I know that we heard back in 2007 that John Kay was retiring but he kept up playing limited shows each year to support him and his wife's Maue Kay foundation that helps people and animals, but after their show this upcoming Sunday in Baxter Springs, Kansas that's it, he is done and as he says after that gig "the Wolf is gonna fade into the hills and be no more", and I got verification from their tour manager Charlie Wolf that it is definite this time, so even though we know that one day this day will come for ALL of our favorite acts it still makes me sad, but like John also says "50 years is enough" and I have a tremendous amount of respect for all the touring and living the life of a rock and roller and "road warrior", I'm sure it is quite the different lifestyle for sure. But I could write many things on here but I think the best thing I could say would just be:

"Thank you, John, for the music and being a HUGE part of my life, good luck with your endeavors and God Bless...." :) :righton: :tiphat:

2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I heard about this, and I happen to be alone in the house on Sunday (wife will be out of the house that afternoon for a work obligation) so I plan on kicking back and blasting some Steppenwolf on Sunday afternoon, as a salute and a sendoff. It really is the end of an era, of sorts.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Funny, I had Steppenwolf playing in the car this week.
    Happy retirement Mr. Cool.

Crimson Witch, Matthew Tate and Les26 like this.
  4. Bummed as I never got the chance to see him, but hey, we all need to retire at some point (and kudos to him for his charity work!) and yeah, 50 years is a long time. Good for him.

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Too bad his name wasn't Stefan Wolf... :)

6. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

7 was an album I discovered when I was around 11 or 12 and has continued to be a favorite through the years. Even though I never explored their entire catalog, other than Greatest Hits and some streaming playlists, this one album was a big influence on my early listening.

Classy way to retire. Best wishes for the road ahead.

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Happy Retirement, John.
    Come back and visit the old neighborhood and Gothic Avenue.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Wow. 50 years is a lot of time. I've been listening that long - who could ever forget hearing Born To Be Wild in 1968? It carved through the radio airwaves like a line of panheads. For decades I've regularly played all the classic Steppenwolf albums -- and John Kay's solos -- easily in my top 10 or 15 favorite acts. I would have loved to have seen him but alas, it appears. A well earned retirement. Thanks for everything you've given if you read this John.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Crimson Witch, sjaca, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  9. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

"Like a line of panheads"...well said!

Crimson Witch, clhboa and Les26 like this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Is there a significance to the location? I've lived more of my life in Kansas that I'd have liked to and had to search to find Baxter Springs. Just curious.:)

Crimson Witch and Les26 like this.
  11. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

"Today I have good news...and I have bad news."

12. Les26

None that I am aware of!

Crimson Witch and forthlin like this.
  13. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

One of my top 10 albums to this day...…
    After years of searching I finally got the Japanese picture disc brand new......plays like a brand new lp!!

[​IMG]

14. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade, '70-'71, a couple of my buddies and I loved Steppenwolf. At the time, my parents belonged to a Record Club, and 8-tracks were all the rage. They would let me order one for myself from time to time. I wanted the first Steppenwolf album on 8-track really badly, but my Mom wouldn't let me get it because it had "The Pusher" on it. She did NOT like that song, for obvious reasons. I got a TDN tape instead, which I really wanted also. I couldn't stop thinking about the Steppenwolf tape, but I had no way to get it, without her knowing. Sometime later my parents went on a trip together, and hired a young couple from the church to stay with me for a week. When they came over, I noticed they had an 8-track tape case. After a couple of days getting to know them, I asked if I could look at their tapes, and lo and behold they had the Steppenwolf tape. I told them that my Mom wouldn't let me have that one, and I guess they felt sorry for me, so they gave it to me. I was really excited. When my parents got home, I would hide it in my room, and only listen to it on headphones. She never did know that I had it. Thank you John Kay for the great music and memories.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    D.B., beatsurrender, Fullbug and 12 others like this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

According to their official website, John Kay & Steppenwolf have a concert date booked in California for June 23, 2019. Perhaps the aforementioned retirement was temporary?

John Kay & Steppenwolf Tour Dates

quicksrt likes this.
  16. Les26

Those are solo dates for John only, not the band.

Crimson Witch and melstapler like this.
  17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The music lives on around the world. In April I was in Paris (yes, I know!) and I heard a student brass band in front of the Opera. They played "Born To Be Wild."

18. varispeed

varispeed what if?

So what part's retiring? His sunglasses? The ric guitar? His vocal affectation?

That would be mind-blowing...go to a solo show to find John singing like Lou Christie or something. Definitely "the wolf has left the building stuff".

19. 9la

9la Forum Resident

I purchased 3 different Steppenwolf hits compilations until I found a great sounding one: "All Time Greatest Hits" (1999; a little weak), "Legends of Rock" (2009; terrible!), and finally "16 Greatest Hits" (1985). They were all official MCA releases. Now I always start with the earliest compilation CD.

"Monster", "7" and "Slow Flux" all deserved more respect than they received: AllMusic gave them 2 freaking stars, but the User Reviews were all 4 to 5 stars.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw him and Steppenwolf in I think 1980, and he could bash out the intro to BTBW on a strat just like it sounds on record, which none of the other Steppenwolf bands, or former guitarists could do. It's a special recipe and technique to get it to explode just right. Cool iconic song and sound.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's pretty much been a solo thing for 47 years now anyway.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because it is a brand new LP. What year do they claim this was pressed up and knocked out?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

maybe he needs the cash?

melstapler and ARK like this.
  24. Les26

John never played the intro part to "Born to be wild", it was always the lead guitarist and if this was 1980 it was Michael Palmer who was/is a helluva guitarist and I don't know why he isn't more well known as he is awesome!

25. Les26

He is doing some solo things, playing acoustic guitar, dobro etc. just like he did when he first started back in the mid 60's, so he has come full circle. If you look on Youtube you can see some of the things he is doing as there are several recent songs posted on there. You just had a feeling that he couldn't give it up all the way yet, right?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.