John Lennon: 1990 Boxset Plastic Ono Band revelation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Today I decided to volume match the 'Plastic Ono Band' songs found on the 1990 Lennon Boxset with the current 2010 same remasters, to my surprise after believing that noise reduction was used in the 1990 boxset from posts here on SHTV, i found no difference to the current 2010 remaster, this means either the 1990 Lennon boxset DOES NOT use no-noise as I believe, or the current remasters do?

What do you think, opinions please and please point out how you can detect the noise reduction used?

I Found Out (Disc One Lennon, 1990 CDP 7952212. LC 0299)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c5x75l

Mother (Disc One Lennon, 1990 CDP 7952212. LC 0299)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hkbkmx

Working Class Here (Disc One Lennon, 1990 CDP 7952212. LC 0299)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jjjsod

Love (Disc One Lennon, 1990 CDP 7952212. LC 0299)

2. Maidenpriest

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I read somewhere (probably on this forum years ago) that early UK pressings of the 1990 box do not have NR.

4. 905

905 Senior Member

5. I haven't listened to your samples, but the US Capitol disc and the Lennon box set I have are awash in NR. Just listen to the opening bells on Mother for a nasty dose of the "blanket over the speakers" effect. Compare it to the LP and it's not there.

6. Just listened to your Mother clip. Wow, that has more hiss (and other noise) than my US LP.

7. Maidenpriest

So i guess the USA version had No Noise and the UK version not, this is a major revelation because it is thought here on SHTV that there is no version of 'Plastic Ono Band' on Cd before 2010 without noise reduction:goodie::righton:

8. 905

905 Senior Member

I wonder how rare your Lennon box is, R2.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

wow!

a revelation indeed!!!!

10. The initial pressings of "POB" had no noise reduction in the UK--I don't know if later ones did or not however both "POB" and "Imagine" in the UK DID have noise reduction applied to both of them (IIRC--I no longer have the US editions of either).

11. Maidenpriest

Not that rare I would have thought, i bought it when it first came out in 1990, there must be plenty of them out there ?

12. 905

905 Senior Member

I read that only the early pressings are without NR, but I have no idea.

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

14. 905

905 Senior Member

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=949859#post949859
    Here is the full thread... I may have read it wrong and the poster may have been talking about Lennon CDs in general.
    But every Lennon box I have seen is full of NR... just the other day at my local used CD shop I saw one.

15. Mike D'Aversa

Well, now I'm really confused.

I thought it has been well established for many years here, that POB was the one Lennon cd that was never released without NR?

16. Mike D'Aversa

Even in context, that reads to me like he's talking about the late 80's Lennon solo cds in general, and not specifically the box set.

Though that, obviously, doesn't invalidate R2's box as being without NR...

17. Maidenpriest

Have a listen to my samples for the UK version ?:goodie::righton:

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The initial batch of LENNON 4-CD boxed sets that were sold in the United States were, in fact, European imports. I don't know how many were imported here by Capitol Records (mine, for instance, is indeed an import). I'm assuming that means Capitol (U.S.) subsequently pressed some copies, but I know not how many or if they introduced NR to the set or not.

19. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I remember getting the boxset on the day of release here in Australia, Nov 1990 (it was an early Chrissy pressy from the g/f). Discs all state "Made in W Germany". Sounds exactly like the OP's. Extended "I Found Out" (not sure if the US release has that as well?).

It's hissy, but not as hissy as the 2010 remasters.

20. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I purchased the Lennon box on the day it was released in the U.S. My copy is missing the word "Imagine" in the track listing on the outside of the box. There's just a blank space there. I remember at the time thinking that maybe we were expected to imagine that it was there! Anyway, they corrected the error on subsequent releases. Is this a way to determine an early pressing? I'll have to re-listen to check the sound quality, but I seem to remember NR, especially on the later discs.

yesstiles likes this.
  21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yeah, and now we have a new remaster without NR anyway.

22. Maidenpriest

Yep, mine are made in W Germany!

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The 1990 boxset does not use master tapes for many songs (either MIA at the time, or carelessness on the part of the compilers). Sometimes hiss ISN'T a good thing, especially if the source is second or third generation. I don't find the POB material here sounding all that good. MUCH more hiss than need be... the session tapes (released and unreleased are practically hiss-free). I DO like the sound of the new remasters though. Certainly better than the remixed version. Ron

24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

25. Maidenpriest

What is your source for this info Ron, and IMO the POB sounds better on this non-noise reduced UK set than the current remaster, I have doen extensive A&Bing today hence my samples and this revelation, please compare my samples with the current 2010 remaster ? :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.