John Lennon Imagine coming to Universal Bluray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Why is that? (I've never heard it).

2. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Anyone know for sure?

3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I've got the Imagine audio blu-ray and I'm curious about 1970s quad LPs.
    I've never one, were they hard to find (and much more expensive than regular LPs) back then?
    Did you have to buy an expensive sound system with 4 speakers to listen to them?
    How popular/widespread were those albums and sound systems?

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Many countries issued the quad Imagine, in the US it was only on quad 8-track. At the time, they weren't as plentiful as the stereo version but not hard to find either. Yes, you need a 4 channel quad system to hear it as intended, but you can play any quad album on a stereo system for downmixed 2 channel results. A fair amount of people had quad systems but competing quad vinyl formats killed it. Prices were generally $1 more for the quad version.

5th-beatle likes this.
  5. 5th-beatle

Thanks. I wish they had included the quad mix (or a new 5.1 mix) on this blu-ray as a bonus.

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

get the Lennon Legend dvd as it has great surround mixes of all the hits.

5th-beatle and GV1967 like this.
  7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Supposedly, Lennon was not a fan of quad and had that version mixed very tightly. Guess he still had mono on the brain.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  8. 5th-beatle

I've got and it does indeed.

Had he lived, perhaps he would have changed his mind by the time 5.1 mixes became popular on home video and music.

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

The Imagine quad 8-track from the UK is discrete while the US one is a decoded SQ matrix of the quad mix and it's terrible. There was a lot of effort put into the quad mix of Walls and Bridges (for the 10 people who have quad, according to Lennon LOL) and a quad mix of Mind Games was apparently done (along with the Ringo album) but never released. Very weird to have Imagine mixed quad by Mr. Mono himself, Phil Spector. Apparently since Some Time...was such a bomb nobody even thought to mix that one for quad (just as well IMO).

10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Muffled. Strange mixing decisions. Just not a pleasant listening experience. My guess is your first word would be what mine was: What?

11. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I have to do a bit more critical listening, but I was initially underwhelmed by this Blu-ray. It didn't seem much different from the 2010 CD.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That stands to reason, since it's the same mastering. Also, the recording/mix quality probably isn't good enough to begin with to sound better or different in hi-res. I have the Blu-Ray of this, and I didn't really hear an improvement myself.

13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have the Bluray and feel the remix from the early 2000's sounds much better. I also felt the PCM layer sounded the best on the Blu-ray Disc. His whole catalog benefited greatly from the remixes. It doesn't bother me that Hold On has a few seconds tacked on to the beginning of the song on POB. I'm 100% for the remixes. Funny that Only SINYC didn't benefit from the remix. Cold Turkey from disc 2 sounded great though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.