John Lennon - Imagine French 2nd Pressing 1972

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Not a debate about the new remaster, but just thought I'd tell you all that this weekend I took delivery of an original French Pathe Marconi 2nd pressing of Imagine

Matrix / Runout (Side A stamped on Runout): 04914 A 21 M6 281359
    Matrix / Runout (Side B stamped on Runout): 04914 B 21 M6 281360

The only thing I can find wrong with the record is a seam split in the inner sleeve which isn't an issue as I always use poly lined sleeves anyway, other than that the record and sleeve are in near mint condition. There are hairline sleeve removal scratches from where the record has been removed from the sleeve over the years, but obviously these don't affect the sound. There are no actual scratches on this record and it plays perfectly. No surface noise, and save for a slight bit of crackle on the run in grooves on side A (needs to be cleaned on a machine) is a brilliant find. It also came with a pristine (albeit off white) poster, and post card.

This cost me just £7 more than the remaster (and that included shipping shipping from France). For that I have a record which is truly all analogue, not a digital transfer. Does it sound as good as the remaster.... Not sure as I've not heard the remaster, but I'll stick with this I think, I'm more than happy with it. I have an original UK pressing in not as good condition and just judging the sound reproduction I can say I think this French pressing is a tad better. Certainly quieter vinyl noise floor wise. Maybe just better quality plastic used back then. Has the Pathe Marconi pressing plant got a good reputation? I've never bought anything pressed by them before, and if I'm honest I'm impressed.

Has anyone else got this pressing, and if so what is your opinion. Have you managed to compare it to the the new remaster, and if so what was your opinion. Oh, and I bought this on a recommendation from a work colleague, and also after reading a couple of reviews on the interweb, one of which was on this very forum.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    DK Pete and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A friend has The White Album and I have Deep Purple - Machine Head both pressed by Pathe Marconi for the UK around 1972. They both sound amazing.

For a short while around that time EMI records were being pressed in France for the UK, so they have UK sleeves and catalogue numbers. I think it was due to a workers strike at the UK plant.

3. bettsaj

I have to admit..... I'm really impressed with this albums quality.

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I have some 80's (I think) French pressings of some Beatles 45's that I thought sounded really good.

5. bettsaj

I'm now wondering what the French pressing of Plastic Ono Band is like........ That's the next one on my radar as I don't have that album. I used to have an originalUK pressing of that, and have been tossing up between buying the new remaster, or trying to find an original near mint UK original. Now I have the French Imagine I'm wondering if I should give the UK pressing a miss.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've passed up this copy about a dozen times at one of my local record stores; I have over half a dozen vinyl pressings of the album and for some unexplainable reason, I haven't had the urge to "take" this particular one. Should I (considering it's not gone)???

7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I've got the French edition of Lennon's 1972 "Sometime in NYC" 2-LP set. Maybe it's from that batch of albums pressed in France for the UK? How can I be sure?

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The ones pressed for the UK have the UK catalogue number on the labels & tend to be in UK printed sleeves.

This is the White Album one that my friend has.
    The Beatles - The Beatles

My friends copy is signed by McCartney on the inner gatefold!

9. bettsaj

It's totally down to whether you want yet another copy. I was drawn to it from this post on this very forum about 3 years ago...

John Lennon Imagine - best vinyl pressing

After reading this, I downloaded a "needle drop" flac file of this record and I was surprised even as a digital file how good sounding it was. I discussed it with a colleague at work a year or so ago and he had a UK original and the French Pathe Marconi pressing, and he said the French one was better pressing quality wise. I don't have any intention on buying the new remaster, I think I have a good pressing that's as good as the new remaster. At least it's all analogue, and it's quiet which is all important.

DK Pete likes this.
  10. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Paging @muffmasterh

Henry, was there a POB and STINYC made in France like the Imagine mentioned?

11. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I have a 1st French press, £7 that I picked up in London. I remember the seller telling me "you know this is a French press?" (i did), he somewhat looked down his nose at it.

Sounds great.

12. bettsaj

Plastic Ono Band had a French pressing, according to Discogs. John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band* - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band

As did Sometime In New York City John & Yoko* / The Plastic Ono Band - Some Time In New York City

All pressed at Pathe Marconi. Whether these were specifically pressed for the UK market i don't know.... But definitely for the French market, yes.

13. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yes those are French pressings for the French market hence the BIEM or SACEM publishing rights organisation boxes on the label.

Pathe Marconi def. made records for the UK EMI when EMI moved in 1972 to a different address (still in Hayes)

All the parts except the pressed record were UK sourced but the label says Made in France by Pathe Marconi as well as Mfd in the UK

Thats where your Imagine comes in as well as a complete series of the Beatles issues

The Beatles Collection » 16. Beatles for Import – Pathé Marconi contract pressings.

[​IMG]

I think it was that EMI was operational but not fully and the larger run pressings were outsourced

Also on discogs I cant find POB or STINYC "made in France for the UK market" pressings so there may not have been any.

Spadeygrove and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.