John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I was 13 and had only just started listening to my Mum's copy of the Sergeant Pepper album. I had only the vaguest idea of who John Lennon was and couldn't tell him apart from the other Beatles on the cover. The only one I recognised was Paul McCartney.

2. I've been to NYC several times, but I only once stood in that archway where Lennon was shot. I never want to stand there again.

It was so sad to actually be at the scene.

fortherecord, forthlin and CCrider92 like this.
  3. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

woke up this morning thinking of John> I remember the day my father told me the news, woke me up with the news he did.

sean

fortherecord likes this.
  4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

5. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I wish I could skip this day. It's always so painful. I too wonder what he would have thought of us, of what we've become. He had an openness and brutal candor about him, that we not only need, but we lack. I'll play my Absolute Elsewhere, the Vigotone Mind Games Sessions, and lose myself today.

ajsmith, forthlin and AndyNicks like this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Listening to the White Album Unplugged.

Nice to listen to while being snowed in on a mountainside.

Remembering John and the gang.

[​IMG]

padesu, Al Kuenster and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Love you Johnny always and forever.

Dave G. likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Man, to think he could still be here, that he could've had that late period resurrection like the others did. That he could've voiced his thoughts on this or that. That he could've repaired his relationship with Julian. Or George for that matter. Forget the Beatles reunion, just to know that he could've enjoyed his legacy and achievements is the saddest thing.

9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

37 years, man where does the time go? As always RIP John.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  10. Price.pittsburgh

11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

In three years he will have been gone as long as he was here. Imagine.

Thanks for the music.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was six when John Lennon died. I knew of The Beatles but was too young to understand or know John Lennon's name. I was into Adam and the Ants (I still am) and I remember John Lennon being all over the news. I also remember John Lennon getting to number one above Antmusic which I wasn't happy about and didn't understand! Of course I soon found out. A couple of years later my Dad bought The Beatles 20 Greatest Hits on tape in 1982. I loved it. I also remember watching The Compleat Beatles film when I was very young. It wasn't long before I was a fan. Since then I never tire of hearing The Beatles. I cried the first time I saw the Imagine film.

RIP John.

Favourite John album - A Hard Day's Night.

joejoe, teag and Drifter like this.
  13. Ronjo1

Ronjo1 Well-Known Member

Hi there, first post, been viewing for a couple of years. I was 16 and I can remember getting out early from school that day (in Australia) Getting home and switching on the tv about 3.30pm nothing else was on so i was watching the Waltons. After about 10 minutes there was a news break that said John had been shot, nothing else was mentioned. At about 3.55pm a further newsbreak this time that John had been taken to Rooseveldt hospital and had been pronounced dead on arrival. About a minute later a friend of mine called and asked me if i'd heard the news and if i was upset I can still remember saying 'its not like i knew him or anything.' i guess i was just dumfounded. I also remember thinking it was weird because i been dreaming about them that morning - i think i was talking to them in record store. I also remember that the next day at school no-one mentioned it at all which is bit strange when I think about it. I was known for being into music. I went and bought shaved fish the next day and the guy in the local record store who new me didnt say a word about it either, thinking about it now, I think a lot people had no idea what to say. I did have a cassette of one of the radio specials from that day but i ended up throwing it away a few years ago as found it too depressing to listen to. I try to remember the good times.

14. Price.pittsburgh

John Lennon will never die.
    No madman, no government and no hater can ever rid the world of the genius and significance of
    John Winston Ono Lennon

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I had just turned 6 when he was murdered, I don't have any memory of it at all.
    What a terrible loss.

16. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Sad day and one I will never forget. I was 9 when it happened. My Mom told me about it the next morning before school and she had to calm me down. I was so upset and couldn't understand why somebody would do this to him. I still don't.
    His music, humour and spirit have been a part of my entire life and I still enjoy it all today. Gone but never forgotten. Thanks John.

Drifter and fortherecord like this.
  17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Dang, he's been gone almost as long as he was here.

ajsmith likes this.
  18. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I heard it from Howard Cosell. I was watching Monday Night Football while talking on the phone with a girlfriend. A sad time.

19. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Although I wasn't born then (17 years later) it's still shocking for me every year and it makes me sad thinking about that one sicko killed him and there won't be any new music of him. The fact that he was murdered is probably the reason why it's so shocking. George Harrison's passing was sad too but the public knew that he had health problems and it was expected. But John died very sudden and without being expected. Just horrible!
    It's depressing to know that he planned a tour for 1981 that sadly never took place.
    I watched the movie "Chapter 27" tonight and I must admit that Jared Leto played his role so damm well that you could think HE's the murder himself.
    I'm planning to visit the Strawberry Fields memorial and the Dakota building one day but I don't know exactly when. That's something I wanted to do for years but never could fulfill as New York isn't cheap and not very close to Europe.

The Beatles were my first "love" in music and will always be my biggest favorite band.

R.I.P John Lennon

kronning likes this.
  20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'll never forget the morning of December 9. Bad news on the doorstep.

pseudopod and fortherecord like this.
  21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I was putting my promo copy of "Double Fantasy" away when the news broadcast that John was longer with us.I wept.I thought it was over for me when the Beatles broke apart.I eventually got over that pain but this lose I will never get over.Today Dec.8,2017 I wept.Happy Xmas-War Is Over(If You Want It).Peace.

Drifter, fortherecord and teag like this.
  22. Price.pittsburgh

Because of John Lennon we have The Beatles.
    Because we have the Beatles we have every other Rock and Roll band who decided to write their own songs and to make the album a more artistic expression and not just filler to surround a hit or two.
    Because of The Beatles the door was opened for major artists to play stadiums and not just arenas.
    The Beatles saved Rock and Roll and reinvented it twice.
    Because of John Lennon it became acceptable for celebrities to speak out and become activists for social and political issues.
    Because of John Lennon Rock artists were taken seriously by the non Rock community.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

It was a tough night to say the least. He never really played the game. Sometimes I wonder if that’s why....

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John's passing seems so long ago and with each year that passes he seems to have died younger...

25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Because of The Beatles other non American bands could break into America

ajsmith and Price.pittsburgh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.