John Marks of Stereophile attacked for article on Norah Jones SACD. Defends himself.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Recall that the November issue of Stereophile has an article by John Marks wherein he states that the stereo SACD track on Norah Jones Come Away With Me was prepared from the 16/44.1 PCM master used to produce the CD. Marks used his own comparisons of the CD and SACD tracks and comments from Blue Note as the basis of his article. John Atkinson of Stereophile supported Marks' assertions by analyzing data from the CD and SACD. Marks came under fire on another forum for his assertions, among other things, and is now firing back. Read this:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=hirez&m=191931

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'd just like to know who the sources were. Managers? PR hacks? Engineers who actually mastered the SACD? You can still hint at this in journalism without naming names.

3. KeithH

I was thinking this too. I can understand why Marks would not reveal his sources, but he could lend some credence to his assertions by providing the roles of the individuals involved.

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

(After reading the thread on AA)

Man, and I thought we were anal around here...

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wow! One black mark for the SACD boys. One thing, there is no place (that I ever remember seeing) that states the sampling rate or source on an SACD. How does the buyer know just what they are getting? Is it implied, or is it a crap shoot?

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it's a good thing that an industry person is speaking up about this. Other people of some prominence when audio BS is foisted upon us should do so as well, instead of indifference or :eek: praise (ex. Paul Seydor in TAS re the Norberg Sinatra CD's, and whoever that was in Stereophile with Let It Be...Naked).

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Rudy, you don't trust anyone. Marks is an honourable man.

9. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

AA, home of the "fan boys". When you get attacked over there you would expect the "Mod" to stop the attacks....no, he joins in. It is funny to see members of the AA over here on SH. Most of them would be banned if they posted the same posts here. Thank God for SH fourm!!!!

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They are both excellent forums, each in their own way.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

But that would effectively reveal his sources to anyone associated with the release. Presumably he has strong reasons to protect these people.

Personally, I would round up the guilty parties and make them listen to white noise (in 16/44.1 of course) for all eternity - but that's just me :).

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Wow, some serious doodoo on that forum. I can't say personally it's my cup of tea. Seems to take the fun out of music.

13. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Sense hinting wouldn't provide a specific name, which means you wouldn't be able to verify anything, what would hinting accomplish from a credibility standpoint? Nothing in my opinion. Common sense would tell you that even hinting would make it easy for those in the know, to figure out who was giving information to him and could cause all kinds of problems. You either choose to believe him or you don't. You can do that with the facts and statements he presented in the article.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah.

15. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I agree with you. Plus he makes some great sounding recordings too.

16. KeithH

That's fair. I'd be happy to help in any way possible. :)

17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Between this, Ashlee Simpson bombing, and the Yankees losing this is a GREAT week. :D

I'm truly disappointed there seems to be no panic over which other SACD's are sourced from 16-bit PCM. ;)

18. KeithH

Oh, I'm wondering this myself. Perhaps Stereophile will dedicate a section of each issue to a hi-rez watchdog report. That would be very interesting, though depressing at the same time. :sigh:

19. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That sound is you hitting the nail on the head. :cry:

I'm getting to the point where I don't wanna know certain things anymore...

20. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Another case in point is that very few of the Sony/Legacy jazz reissues on SACD are direct analog-to-DSD transfers. Almost all of them are, in fact, sourced from the same 20- or 24-bit/48kHz or 88.2kHz SBM PCM digital transfers used in the 1996-2003 remastered CDs. So, why weren't some of those SACDs criticized?

21. KeithH

Where did you read this? If you are correct, then those SACDs should be criticized. I have a number of these jazz SACDs, and I think they sound excellent. However, maybe they aren't as good as they could be. I had always thought that Sony went analog to DSD and then downconverted the DSD masters to 16/44.1 for the CDs. Sony originally developed DSD for archival purposes, so I assumed that they made DSD masters of the jazz titles first. Furthermore, I thought Sony's SBM (Super-Bit Mapping) process had a DSD step in the mastering chain.

22. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Okay, if ProTools or any audio editing program is used in the transferring process, as is the case with many of those titles, then PCM is involved. And what that does is convert analog to PCM first, then PCM to DSD.

SBM is, in fact, a PCM-based noise-shaping alogarithm.

Oh, by the way, those Legacy jazz titles in question are sourced from those PCM masters that were prepared before any downconversion to Redbook CD was made.

23. KeithH

I wasn't aware that ProTools was used either. Thanks for the info. As I said, I like the jazz SACDs from Sony that I have. It seems like they could have made them better, though. In time, I fear we will find many instances where the major record labels did not master their SACDs as they should have. It's not like we haven't been through this before. The big labels have been using nth-generation tapes as sources for CD releases for years. They just don't learn from their mistakes...or they just don't care. :(

24. markl

markl Senior Member

If SACD/DSD was originally developed as Sony's means of archiving their own aging tape catalogs, seems like those jazz titles they actually own would be done from the original analog master tapes, would it not? :confused:

25. KeithH

That's what I was saying. Why would Sony bother making PCM masters from the analog tapes, even hi-rez PCM masters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.