Johnny Depp's 'Mortdecai'---yikes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

blasphemy!!!!

to even suggest it.

Monosterio likes this.
  2. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I'll be seeing it this weekend for my local TV reviewing duties.

3. Currently 27% at Metacritic - the AV Club review is the highest by a 20 point margin.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I have one of these original posters on my wall.

[​IMG]

Yovra and bekayne like this.
  5. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Depp needs a new agent or then again, maybe he just doesn't care?
    At some point, you have to stop the bleeding.

Tristero likes this.
  6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I'm sure Depp doesn't care. When I went to Disneyland, the animatronic characters on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride were all cartoonish, except for the Jack Sparrow character and drawings which looked like Johnny Depp. As long as his paycheck keep coming in from Disney, he's doing more than fine.

Chad

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I found his performance uneven in the role.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, you see, that's what's gonna make this NEXT movie..... hopefully.
    Unlike the R-rated 'horror' of "TUSK". this next film should be a bit funny, with 'the girls' being the lead characters.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I hope his acting is better. He seemed to be really into character one minute and out of character the next. I wasn't the only one who commented on it at the screening.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

From that review, the concluding line:

It’s exactly the sort of oddball trifle, like Hudson Hawk, that tends to attract the ire of baffled audiences and grumpy critics. It’s also the sort of oddball trifle that, like Hudson Hawk, will put certain aficionados of silliness in a pretty good mood

...is probably right. Judging by the trailer, I'm definitely leaning in the 'pretty good mood' camp. It will be good to see another Clouseau-esque movie after all this time.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I don't know what it is, but sometimes slapstick leaves me cold. Almost all the silent masters I like, Sellers of course, but I never liked Chevy Chase's schtick or Steve Martin's Clouseau. I can take some of Johnny's schtick in Pirates, but there's obviously more than schtick in those movies.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

When I think Clouseau, I think Peter Sellers. Did you like Sellers in that role, or say in The Party?

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

After seeing Transendence, I put Johnny Depp on the same level as Keanu Reeves.
    Terrible.

Blair G. likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Party, not so much. Even Panther outtakes make me laugh.

Yovra likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Johnny Depp’s ‘Mortdecai’ Mortifies Critics:
    8 Terrible Reviews That Will Make You Understand Why

http://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depps...le-reviews-that-will-make-you-understand-why/

Johnny Depp’s ‘Mortdecai’ Flopping for His 5th Straight Box-Office Bomb
    http://www.thewrap.com/johnny-depps-mortdecai-flopping-for-his-5th-straight-box-office-bombs/

Johnny Depp's Career Crossroads: Actor Facing Third Box-Office Flop in a Row
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-depps-career-crossroads-actor-765262

Yikes, indeed...

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sorry but I am over reviews since they loaded up the guns and killed The Lone Ranger ! I will go and see this film and make my own mind up! I think people are not liking him at the moment because he is too Successful! I see the same people loading up their guns and are ready to pounce on Robert Downey Jnr !

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yup, it sure feels like groupthink.

Hawklord likes this.
  18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sorry ! I was not talking about the people on here! I am talking about the paid critics who are paid to kill movies off!

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Okay, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference with the majority of the opinions expressed here.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I just don't think he's a very good actor.

21. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

His obsession with playing characters with heavy makeup and/or British accents is at a pathological level.

He says he doesn't even watch his own movies.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I got jumped on when I wrote this four years ago:

I'm sorry, I like Johnny Depp. But I think he always comes across like Johnny Depp play acting some new character. Each one of these characters you mention has this whimsical/camp element that's always a part of Depp's performances - except when he's trying to be deeply serious as in Donny Brasco (probably his best performance). The only thing really separating the performances you mention is appearance, and that's not acting, that's costuming.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

The last film that I liked him in was "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", a favorite of mine.

24. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Names?

25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I've never seen more chemistry onscreen than between Depp and Angelina Jolie in The Tourist. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.