Johnny Rotten on The Police reunion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Maybe 3 members from the popular definate line up, but unfortunatly the least musical, without Lord no Purple IMO!!

2. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

So you think he was "Lord" of Deep Purple. :) They could call themselves Gillan, Glover, Paice, Morse and Airey. But it sounds more like a law firm, and it would be totally unnecessary.

Mike Anthony is no longer in Van Halen. He was a founding member, and a valuable one at that, especially because of his harmonies. Does this mean they can be longer called Van Halen?

3. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I don't have to say it, but I will. The Police rank in my list of top 5 boring bands of all time. The others: The Grateful Dead (painful stuff), The Doors (yawn), Yes (no!), many tied for 5th place.

This could be the start of a new thread: "Top 5 Most Boring Bands of All Time"

Paul

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I doubt the fans of the Pistols got (or liked) Tales from Topographic Oceans at all either. :winkgrin:

6. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

I own and love both:confused:

7. coot

coot Forum Resident

I resemble that remark...:help:

...right on :agree:

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I can see Rotten's joke. The negativity can get a bit tedious, but the comment on Sid showed some sensitivity and thought I think. If Rotten started showing compassion and speaking only nice things about people would it be okay?

"The Power of Positive Thinking" is one book they don't read in punk rock bands. :shrug:

9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

LOL...I know what you mean. Musical anatagonism right there....But I understand that some music is harder to get, lets say like some Jazz, but the skill to be a good jazz musician is to be respected...

Punk rock in general seems like a high energy-low effort music.

10. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Really wrong on all counts with your last statement....(and I love Yes BTW)
    Don't you wonder why Fripp upped and moved to New York to be in the thick of the Punk/New Wave movement?

Because he was turned on by it and found the players invigorating to play with...

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sounds good to me. I prefer that to low energy-high effort music.

12. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I fail to see the commonality between Fripp and the Punk rockers....Maybe its no wonder that there are 3 KC LP's that sound about the same...Discipline, elephant talk, three of a perfect pair, to me are a miss.

Whatever Fripp did, doesnt make Punk good or Bad....what if Fripp said, I am moving to California to get away from the Punk movement.. What then?

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I don't think it was musical antagonism as much as it was politics, actually. You generally don't admit to liking or respecting the regime you're trying to overthrow. But Lydon did admit to liking the Van der Graaf Generator albums and Peter Hammill. If anything, that's even more hardcore prog than Yes. I think the main point of punk was to diss the pretentiousness, spearhead the cultural revolution, and open up the possibilities. It wasn't about disparaging musicianship per se. At least not the more savvy and intelligent side of it, which I think John Lydon represents in some ways. Other groups like Wire, maybe even more so.

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

He didn't do that...he moved closer to it....

Your mind is made up....and you wish to bash punk rock...I like prog and I like punk...and the things that came out of it....

And the commonality was the fact that he saw them doing it themselves as opposed to being washed out through the typical record tour record cycle and monolithic gear situation that many bands were doing......(ie the set for Relayer or Tales) that were great, but for the 19 or 20 year old (roughly the same age as the bands you love at the time of their inception) it was hard to break into that and be on the same par....not musically, but with having the might and force of hundreds of thousands of dollars behind the machine to put them out there on the touring bandwagon....

Plus...many bands had become bloated and had lost touch with their initial creativity....which was bourne in much more modest situations....for example..."Works Vol 1" vs. say...."Tarkus"

See...it has nothing to do with a style of music...it has everything to do with situations...and attitude....

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Good points soundQman...

I think I agree with them...but if you take the punk music out of its context, whats left for it? I dont think its the quality of it.

But look at classical music, so removed from the creative present it was made in, and it still remains relevant and challenging....Punk I guess its like most things pop...they work maybe in its present context..

Or: I am talking out of my butt...which happens once in awhile..:)

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

And the second LP is "Beat" btw...

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have two words for you....

London Calling

'nuff said

18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I never went out and bashed Punk music per say as a true intention...I said to me its high energy-low effort music...like current grundge bands music...or pop music, but the difference is the message it conveys.

Objectively speaking, I cant see why is it bashing calling it low effort...their are songs that are made simple, with lots of raw sound quality to it, as if what they were trying to say was more important than anything else...and if you want to protest pretentiousness, you make things simple.

20. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

That most of Tales From....TO.....isnt it??:D

21. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

If I recall correctly, it was called The Filthy Lucre Tour and it he said it was just for raking in cash.

22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's a great Rock 'n Roll album; what's to get?
    When it came out it was fresh and exciting (and threatening); everything a great and seminal (and classic) record should be.
    It entertained many and influenced many.
    Pretty good credentials I'd say for "classic" status.

23. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

:righton: The album is like a sonic kick to the gonads. The overall package was articulate anger at it's finest. Add the fact that Johnny is one of the funniest people ever in rock'n'roll, (for some reason, I still crack up whenever I hear Bodies, despite the darkness of the song. I guess it's all in his delivery) and you've got a unique listening experience. As serious as some of the songs are, a lot of it is cabaret as well. But cabaret with a sneer and loud guitars. :)

24. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

The Clash, especially with the ambitious London Calling and the sprawling Sandinista could never be accused of "low effort." Same with The Boomtown Rats, Magazine and a lot of the other bands from that period. And hey, let's not forget The Ramones and Generation X. Punk is pretty deceptive overall. It may not sound at first that there's much effort involved, but so many of these bands have such well-crafted pop hooks, that if it doesn't grab you the first time, it'll get you at some point down the line.

And this is coming from a Steve Howe fanatic as well. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.