Johnny Thunders - "L.A.M.F." remaster - Nov 2017 + "So Alone" reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB on Mars

BB on Mars Forum Resident

Speaking of Thunders, LAMF, Walter Lure...etc. ...I recently found out that Walter Lure had a cd release last year.... He recorded an album as a band member in a band called the Last Ditches and the album is titled “Spilt Milk” . It features Walter Lure on guitar & vocals, Binky Phillips on guitar & vocals(Binky was in the Planets), Randy Pratt on bass (the Lizards), & rounding out the line-up is drummer Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow, Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult,the Lizards...etc). It’s a decent album but Lure should have sang all the songs instead of 4 or 5. They cover I Wanna be Loved but it’s not as good as the Heartbeakers

Hep Alien, DTK and DME1061 like this.
  2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

two of the greatest albums of all time. can't wait to buy these.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What? "LA" and "MF"? :biglaugh:

Jimmy B. and PJayBe like this.
  4. Neonbeam

After I just saw "L.A.M.F." Definite at a record store I thought it was time for a decision. So last night I confronted myself with "Sandinista!" in it's entirety - I enjoyed it - and tonight will see me listen to both UK and German originals of "L.A.M.F.". To establish if I actually need a triple deluxe release of this album. How is the new vinyl edition? 25€ is a great price but was it done properly????

DTK likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't pick up the new vinyl, but enjoy they bounty! :righton:

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nothing lacklustre about Motorhead's debut. Rock 'n' Roll!

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have one and I find it varies with whatever cartridge / stylus I am using whether it tracks properly. I get the impression that it's a problem with the cut rather than the mastering. I've never known another LP like it! When it tracks well, it sounds great.

DTK and Neonbeam like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Bizarre. I have just finished the UK Track and it sounds massive, very robust and crankable with great bouncing drums and cutting guitars. The exception is "Going Steady" which sounds substantially different to all other tracks, muffled, distant, if the whole album was like that it would suck but I guess I can tolerate it for one song. Given "L.A.M.F."'s reputation:cop:

Based on that alone I'm seeing no reason to buy the reissue. And I've even got the German Track to evaluate next. But not before a short..... break:idea:

DTK and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Been a few years since I've played mine. I don't have any intention of buying it again. There's something special about having the original pressing! I also have the Chinese Rocks / Born To Lose 45.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

My impression too, Going Steady sounds trebly and really sticks out, like what were they doing there.

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

German copy is over and guess what: "Going Steady" also sticks out and doesn't sound especially good.

The rest of the German Track tames the UK's cool archaic qualities, this loss of control/ edge of your seat moment, resulting in a more balanced sound. Which - I guess - must have sounded more modern, more contemporary for 1977. While the Porky rather highlights an archaic Dolls 1974 quality. If you played the German "L.A.M.F." to strangers they most likely wouldn't complain about sound.

Now I'm sure that I don't need another "L.A.M.F" - except for free or 5$:angel:- because I somewhat expect the "unmuddied" new versions to be rather similar to the 1977 German edition. Even though I'd like to know how "Going Steady" sounds there.

DTK likes this.
  12. Junior44F

Junior44F Active Member

About a reissue of So alone in 2018:
    Ola Junior!

MOJO didn't seem to understand that Remarquable Records is NOT releasing a deluxe edition of 'So Alone' on CD, but we are releasing a companion album called 'So Alonesome' on LP and CD which features 10 previously unreleased recordings from 1978. The LP is due in April and the CD in May. We will announce full release details in February.

Remarquable is only allowed to release the special edition of 'So Alone' on LP which came out last year, we do not have the rights to release a CD of the 'So Alone' album tracks.

Hope that helps.

Ciao mein!

Remarquable Records

Lost In The Flood, Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  13. Junior44F

Junior44F Active Member

I ask Remarkable records about the reissue of So alone in 2018:
    Ola Junior!

MOJO didn't seem to understand that Remarquable Records is NOT releasing a deluxe edition of 'So Alone' on CD, but we are releasing a companion album called 'So Alonesome' on LP and CD which features 10 previously unreleased recordings from 1978. The LP is due in April and the CD in May. We will announce full release details in February.

Remarquable is only allowed to release the special edition of 'So Alone' on LP which came out last year, we do not have the rights to release a CD of the 'So Alone' album tracks.

Hope that helps.
    Ciao mein!

Remarquable Records

keef00, WarEagleRK and Purple Jim like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

"10 previously unreleased recordings from 1978" :goodie::righton:

Many thanks for clearing that up! Looking forward to this release.

DTK and Junior44F like this.
  15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm not sure. I watched the Ramones documentary End Of The Century and Looking for Johnny the same weekend and they kind of blur together.

The shot of Dee Dee walking out of the Hall Of Fame cocktail party was heartbreaking.

19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Did he look horrible? I haven't had a chance to watch that documentary yet.

20. gottogo99

gottogo99 Forum Resident

I watched Looking for Johnny last night. Overall, it was ok. Glad I watched it but wouldn't watch it again. It's mostly talking heads from the present day. There isn't a lot of Johnny talking, and there isn't much in the way of performances either. Notably absent was David Johansen. Highlights for me were Sylvain Sylvain and Walter Lure, two of his band members from what I consider his peak period, who were both lucid and engaging. Sadly, Billy Rath (RIP) looked and sounded terrible and was only on camera briefly. I would recommend this for fans but it's probably not going to win anyone over who's not familiar with Johnny's work.

Lonecat and DTK like this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Make it a priority. One of the best......and most tense.......rock documentaries ever made. The segment with Johnny asked about Joey's death is something.

jmczaja and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  22. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

It's a decent overview. It doesn't help that ( I'm guessing)the director couldn't get the rights to use LAMF and So Alone's music. I haven't his Clash film but his Sid Vicious documentary Sad Vacation is pretty good. Of course he has the the benefit of focusing on a much smaller time period .

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I was underwhelmed by a Looking For Johnny.
    The old Lech Kowalski Born To Lose movie (with Dee Dee etc.) is a mess but more interesting.
    Very much looking forward to the So Alone outtakes. One of my fave albums all categories, and Johnny's very best solo platter.

24. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

not at all , sweet and dignified and witty

Electric Sydney likes this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Some years ago, I got a d/l of the LAMF Cassette edition, it sounds alright but as I never had the lp or any of the CD editions, I've no idea how much better it sounds, let alone which of the 'remix' editions match closest to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.