Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Going tonight right after work.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife is off seeing it right now in IMAX at Navy Pier.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I saw it last night. Joaquin was amazing as Joker. It reminds me of Taxi Driver a lot, but more brutal. Great film! ;)

George P, serj, Ghostworld and 3 others like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I need to see this tonight.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

I just talked to my wife. She loved it, but said it is incredibly dark and heavy. She wants to see it again, but will have to wait a few days before seeing it again (and this is the woman who sat through all 9 hours of Shoah in a single day.)

6. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This guy was right. I should have listened to him. More so, I should have taken the $50+ I spent on 3 tickets and donated it to a charity. In fact, I am going to find a charity for the holidays and make sure this is my *minimum* donation.

Oh yeah, @ Todd Phillips, you owe me fifty bucks. Plus fees.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Seeing it Friday afternoon.

8. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

saw it tonight... wow.. mesmerizing

i don't know what's more shocking.. the movie, or the fact that it exists in our PC 2019 culture. very gutsy to put this out.

10. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

It's a spectacular film, you and your wife definitely should see it again, sir! I was wondering.. Wow, I think this is what people feel when they saw Taxi Driver in 1976!

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I haven't seen it. I'm in Kansas City at the moment, while she is home in Chicago.

She has memberships in both AMC A*List and Regal's Unlimited and her original plan was to see it in IMAX at Navy Pier, and then to see it a second time at the Regal City North 14. The film was so heavy that she changed her mind, and is seeing a Chinese film as her second of the evening.

Umbari likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Well, just got out and I have to say, it’s quite a damn good movie, but Jesus, it’s almost unrelentingly dark and heavy. Todd Phillips made a rather good scummy recreation of 80’s New York (though it’s supposed to be Gotham). The movie has obvious nods to Scorcese and Taxi Driver and The King Of Comedy, but also 21st century films like Drive.
    There’s a rather bold tweaking to the Bat-mythos and I wonder if it will be followed up on or if this is just a one-off film as I’ve heard—also this is the upteenth onscreen murder of Bruce Wayne’s parents

Phoenix is amazing in the role (and has to carry the film, appearing in probably every scene) but the other characters aren’t delved into very much and don’t have a lot to do. Not sure this movie needed to be made but I did enjoy it, and it has moments of cruel beauty. 8/10

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  13. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Just got back from it really enjoyed it. Cross between Taxi Driver and the King Of Comedy. No super hero anything for those hate that sort of stuff. Stark portrayal of class struggle and intense mental illness.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Because both were terrible?

Fear of storming the box office for a refund.

Deesky and daca like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Why don’t you ever go with her?

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

He was out of town in Kansas City

(See above)

GodShifter and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

My wife is bizarrely complicated, and I actually live in two cities, with apartments in both Chicago and Kansas City Missouri.

18. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Just quoting a review I saw today. I have no opinion of the film because I have not seen it.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Going to see it sometime tomorrow.

Not sure what to expect.

Joker has been a favorite for years.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Didn't read through this thread but if it's been mentioned already it bares repeating anyway in that I just learned what an "incel" is from all the local news broadcast stations being told by law enforcement to be on the look out for another possible mass shooting in the theater by this hate group spurred on by the Joker movie. They're warning folks to develop a theater exit plan if something like this goes down.

I KID YOU NOT!

WOW! Now that's how to market a movie! Get law enforcement involved!

Heads up on a tip... Don't sit in the middle row theater seats. That's the first place active shooters aim for.

Now I REALLY have to go see this movie. Got my body armor all ready to go.

Here's what an "Incel" is...

What Are Incels? - Involuntary Celibates Believe Women Owe Them Sex

21. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Sooooo.....is the next step to integrate the Phoenix version of Joker into an actual Batman movie?

Not having seen Joker yet...what would a Batman version movie do?.....tone Phoenix down? Make for an edgier Batman plot interaction? Create an energy that is the logical forward motion from what Ledger began?

Or perhaps, it's an impossible jump?

willy likes this.
  22. Tim Lookingbill

Haven't seen it yet but from what I saw from Phoenix's Kimmel interview yesterday, I'm getting a very strong vibe that this isn't a comic book movie.

Stormrider77 and audiomixer like this.
  23. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Yeah, I sense that too.....but where might things go?

24. Tim Lookingbill

Too soon to tell since most here haven't seen it, yet. And really it's almost impossible to speculate without "Spoilers" ruining it for the rest.

25. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Just saw a late evening screening at the AMC.

It should go without saying, given that it is Rated 'R' but this is not a "comic book" movie; it's a movie by and for adults only.

I'm not sure I've seen a more skillfully made (and acted!) mainstream film in at least 4-5 years than JOKER. Granted, I don't go to the cinema nearly as much as I once did but I go enough to know a gem when I see it. Hollywood simply does not make films like this anymore. It is not perfect, but so few films are.

Without getting too deeply into the weeds, I think Todd Phillips wants us to both empathize with and recoil from Arthur; often at the same time. Not unlike another anti-hero such us say, Tony Soprano, do we both revel in the violence he inflicts and at the same time find ourselves as passive bystanders, unable to do a thing about it.

What is JOKER ultimately trying to say? Is it about the eternal question of nature vs. nurture? Is it about a society than can step over the downtrodden or simply not even hold a door for someone but happily fill their lives with the utter meaninglessness that our mass-media culture vomits in our face 24/7? Or is it simply an interesting character study, a twist on the standard comic book narrative? I think maybe it's a little of all of these things.

But what's most impressive about this film is that it doesn't tell you how to process what you've just seen. There's no epilogue that instructs you how to compartmentalize your feelings post viewing. And that... is perhaps its strongest attribute.

JOKER is a very, very great film.

I keep thinking of another film I saw just about 20 years ago at another AMC theater, shortly after moving to Columbus, Ohio. It was by one of my favorite filmmakers; certainly one of his generation's best: David Fincher. The film in question was FIGHT CLUB. I thought about my reaction to that film and how I viewed it at the time. Having not read Chuck Palahniuk's book I can only speak for the screen interpretation. That film so put me off in its' 3rd act with it's almost callous nihilism that left me ice cold. It was almost saying, "oh well, f**k it, let's just blow it up".

It so desperately wanted to be profound in its statement that somehow capitalism and masculinity, or the lusting for some ideal of true masculinity was the underpinning of everything that is wrong with the world. Going into JOKER I was concerned that, based on some of the descriptions of the plot and what I could gather from press junkets, etc, that I was in for that early adolescent profundity all over again.

JOKER is NOT a nihilistic tone poem. If I had to categorize FIGHT CLUB – that's how I would categorize it. No matter how skillful it was, the seediness of its message completely frosted me. JOKER is instead a question not a declarative statement.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. If you enjoy FIGHT CLUB, my sympathies.

:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    yesstiles, thgord, Juan Matus and 8 others like this.