Joni Mitchell nixed biopic - Taylor Swift was cast as the singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lightbulb, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I have a super cheap mass market paperbound version of the book in my stack since Borders bellied up.I keep thinking that there's problems between those pages.But the idea of Taylor Swift portraying Joni Mitchell is like Adam Sandler subbing for DeNiro to portray Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull.Maybe Lifetime will screw up the subject without use of the book material.There's a Disney Channel full of empty vessels that would make Swift look like Sissy Spacek in comparison.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Good for her-they can turn out to be pretty lame. Straight biography with original source film and interviews much better but probably less profitable to creators-hence less interest.

Regandron and lightbulb like this.
  4. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Yet ANOTHER reason why I love Joni Mitchell!

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tis a pity ..

zebop and lightbulb like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Surprised she green lit the movie adaption in the first place.

Guess we have to wait until her passing for archive releases and a biopic etc...

lightbulb likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Good for her. Swift would have been completely out of her depth.

3rd Uncle Bob and lightbulb like this.
  8. lightbulb

I never read the book, but evidently from what Mitchell states, much of of it seems superficial gossip...and there's no way she'd ever let something close to that on the big screen. One shudders what some movie exec would consider passable talent to depict Joni.
    Is there any actress out there you'd consider worthy?

9. lightbulb

I Agree. I'd rather see the real thing...inimitable.
    I liked the doc that had great footage, Woman of Heart and Mind.

10. lightbulb

True - she really is as strong and independent as ever. After being extremely hurt and stung previously by the media, it seems she won't tolerate any misrepresentation anymore if she has any say in the matter.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. lightbulb

I hope we don't have to wait for a comprehensive archives collection (like her co-patriot, Neil Young's). Hopefully she'll realize the artistic value of her unreleased material...

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I agree! I have yet to see a Hollywood movie that accurately captures the vibe of rock artists. They are usually over dramatized and corny. The same thing with surfing movies. They just don't get it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

I was going to post this here two days ago, but I didn't think people would be interested in reading it.

--

Anyway, I agree with her. I like Taylor, but she wouldn't have done a good job in the role. She's a weak vocalist.

sunspot42 and lightbulb like this.
  14. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

the really unfortunate part is that the weakest part of swift's vocal range is the upper register that joni visited so much in early years. i am cringing now thinking of the results.
    not to bash taylor whom i have great respect for overall.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I am glad Joni Mitchell nixed this idea...Only if Taylor Swift was a good actress could this possibly work. Taylor should not be allowed to sing as Joni, but they should use Joni's vocals... Taylor Swift should be quite good at lip syncing.... Taylor Swift can not sing live....

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Supposedly she is writing her autobiography so maybe that is why she didn't want it coming out before that happens. I really hope it comes through and it's like 1000 pages long. She has lived a very interesting life.

Hey Vinyl Man and Bruno Republic like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm surprised Taylor would agree to play a part that would require constantly smoking cigarettes. I have no idea if Taylor Swift smokes or not, but she's famous for trying to set a good example for her fans.

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

There is a God out there after all...

Bill and Sill Nyro like this.
  19. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Thank goodness.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  20. How would Mitchell be able to block the movie? The article isn't clear. Denial of music rights? Or the producers just didn't want to get on her bad side, but could go ahead if they really wanted to?

21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not such a fan of Taylor's music but acting wise she has promise - was in an episode of CSI and was pretty good.

zebop and ralph7109 like this.
  22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Maybe she Ok'd the movie if she had approval over the lead actress.

23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I would think her problem was more with the source material.

Music movies are made all the time with people who can neither play instruments nor sing. At least Taylor Swift has singing experience. The question is whether she can act? And this again is not something I'm convinced Joni has any ability to judge. Taylor simply hasn't been in enough to form an opinion one way or another.

24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Being that the book was unauthorized from Joni's perspective (and I don't believe Carly gave it her blessings either), I don't see why she would have any say in the casting of the movie version!

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  25. And besides, I don't think she has a legal leg to stand on with respect to stopping production, unless the producers signed some sort of special deal with her - which, as you indicate, would appear unlikely. I suspect it might be a sync rights issue, although I have no idea whether she controls her publishing.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.