JRiver ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J_D__, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m playing songs through JRiver.
    My monitor screen in the upper left corner shows its playing as an MP3. Where can I adjust this for the higher quality music? Thanks in advance:)

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Is the source higher quality than mp3?

You can control output format via:

Tools>Options>Audio>DSP & output format

I have it set for no encoding, so JRiver plays whatever the source quality is.

You can check what is happening via:

Player>Audio Path

or mousing over the circular icon in the top right corner by the Repeat and Shuffle controls.

3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

How are you playing it? Via a direct connection to DAC or receiver or are you playing it over your LAN?

4. J_D__

Thank you. I’m playing from my lab top computer. I go to Tools, options, audio and get configure audio using media center > add or configure DLNA servers. Player, audio path says not using JRiver audio engine

5. J_D__

Thank you. I’m playing from a lab top with a wireless connection.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A wireless connection to what? What is the DAC and device that is decoding the music?

The DAC or device that is decoding the music is going to be the DLNA client or renderer. You need to go into the configuration settings for the client and set it to not convert the audio format it gets. It seems from what you're describing is that the client is telling the server device that it can only handle MP3 files. So all streams sent to the client will first be converted to MP3. The solution there is to configure the client to prefer a lossless format or to configure the client to tell the server to not convert to a different format and just stream the files as they are.

In JRiver you can also go into:
    Tools >> Options... >> Media Network >> Client Options (when connected to a Library Server) >> Audio Conversion
    and set the conversion to "Don't convert audio"
    and encoding to PCM 16 bit, or to PCM 24 bit depending on whether the device supports 24 bit or not or what works

Then see if that setting to "Don't convert audio" gets the other device to play without converting to MP3

DLNA gets confusing trying to keep track of what is the server, what is the client, where is the rendering being done, etc.
    I often get things backwards and have to re-figure things out each time I try to set it up
    I probably have some of this explanation backwards in regards to what is the client and what is the server

edit:
    Here is a JRiver wiki page on DLNA that kinda explains some of this and how JRiver can have separate server settings for each device:
    DLNA - JRiverWiki

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  7. J_D__

Thank you

I have a Denon AVR X4300H. I changed that setting to PCM 24-bit. I had initially lost my connection to the AVR but, checked DLNA in the Media Network. Still showing MP3. Any thoughts?

8. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

In media network, make sure format conversion is set to no conversion and note the name of the dlna server. In your denon, make sure you select the server with that name as your source.

9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

JRiver is both a media server, a media library manager and a media player. You need to check the settings for the media server and client player when you use a client that is either not a JRiver player and/or not installed on the same PC as the media server . Otherwise JRiver will use its default settings and will most likely transcode the audio to MP3.

10. J_D__

Thank you. I made the format conversion. My Denon shows up twice on my network. One I named and the other saw “Playing from Denon”... I’m using the one I named. Do I need to add my songs to the library?

11. J_D__

Thank you.

I went to the player and then playback options. And get “Configure audio using Options> Media network > add or configure DLNA servers” . I’m not sure where to go for the Media Server?

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Tools>Media Network>Client Options>Audio Conversion

Default setting is 'MP3 high bandwidth'.

Select Conversion if you want to turn conversion off, or select Encoder if you want to change to 16- or 24-bit PCM.

13. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

just for the record, JRiver has an Interact Forum where JRiver techs or other expert users will answer any question.

14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

The player options won't help you because it defines how the JRiver media player on the PC will behave when it connects to a remote JRiver Library/Media server . This is useful when there are several JRiver installations in a house that access and shares the same media library. From your explanations you are not using JRiver as the client/media player but a Denon receiver so these settings are irrelevant in your case. What you are looking for is to configure the behavior of the JRiver media server when it connects to an DLNA external client. It's a concept that is not very intuitive to grasp and therefore it's not easy to find. Go to (Menu) Tools -> Media Network ->Add or configure DLNA servers. Select your DLNA server from the new window and go to Audio -> Mode. Select "Original" from the list and this will ensure that the Jriver DLNA media server will not transcode the media file to MP3 when it sends it to an external client. Please refer to the screen capture below for more details.

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  15. J_D__

Thank you, I do have it set this way.

16. J_D__

Thank you. That corrected it.

I’m average tech savvy at best. I really appreciate everyone’s advice:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.