Judas Priest re-issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wpjs, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Have you listened to the Lp yet?

Queezma likes this.
  2. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I'm sure you've all seen the pending release dates for defenders, ram it down and live?

Queezma likes this.
  3. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Got my copies today!!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

How does Ram It Down and Live sound, I am good with my copy of Defenders, really interested in Live though

5. Nighthawk68

I will sample LIVE tonight and report back. I don’t have an original to compare to. Also, I have a MINT original Ram It Down, so I didn’t get the reissue, I did get Defenders reissue. I will compare to my original.
    In a previous test my Mint British Steel sounded slightly better than the reissue

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Pouchkine, Metalrob and tinnox like this.
  6. Nighthawk68

LIVE is sounding very good, almost done with LP1, dead quiet pressing by MPO.
    Sonics are very good and not over compressed at all. Unfortunately I can’t compare to original as that’s one I do not have.

Up next Defenders, I will compare it to my original 1984 pressing.

Oh and I will be seeing Priest (with Deep Purple) next week on the 25th, can’t wait

Ed

Pouchkine, Metalrob and metalrules like this.
  7. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Does anyone know if these new reissues (represses?) for Live and Defenders are the same as the recent reissues from We Are Vinyl from 2017?

8. Nighthawk68

They were never released last year, they kept getting cancelled. My Amazon pre-orders kept getting release dates moved and eventually they cancelled my order.

Queezma likes this.
  9. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

That's strange. Discogs say they were?

Judas Priest - Priest...Live

10. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Yes they are part of 2017’s “We Are Vinyl” reissue campaign. I work for a music store and these 3 titles never had a confirmed release date when the other titles were released last year. Why I do not know... Maybe in Europe they were released last year with the rest of the priest catalogue? I haven’t picked these 3 up yet but am really looking forward to Defenders.

11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Great thanks! Mine just arrived so am looking forward to spinning both tonight. I have an original Canadian pressing of defenders so am curious how they compare.

Queezma and Pouchkine like this.
  12. Nighthawk68

The copyright date on these are 2017, not 2018. They must have planned them for last year and ran into issues.
    Defenders and Ram It Down are both 2017, I forgot to check Live.
    Decided to get Ram It Down, hoping for a better mix than my original 1988 release. The original is very thin sounding, not much bass... comparison notes to follow.

Queezma likes this.
  13. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Live is 2017 as well.

14. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Really looking forward to your thoughts on Defenders.... I have a First Pressing which sounds fantastic but will still likely get the reissue

15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

On first listen to Defenders I can say it's a lot louder, more "in your face" compared to my original Canadian Press. Sounds great though. Do we know if these were remastered? I'm assuming?

Purple and Queezma like this.
  16. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I know it came up somewhere in this thread but I don’t think it’s been widely discussed as to if they have been remastered, or by whom or if these have been cut from original masters or are digitally sourced. Overall I am quite happy with the ones I do have though.

17. Nighthawk68

Just started listening to Ram It Down... much better than 1988 pressing, it’s louder, but also better sonically, wider sound stage with a little more low end than 1988 release, the original 1988 sounds thin and tinny to me.

johnny q, Queezma and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  18. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I did! Sounds fantastic! Prefer it to the CD! I finally picked up the vinyl reissues of Defenders, British Steel and Screaming but have not broke the seals yet

19. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

:righton:

20. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

As I recall the original Ram it Down was a tinny mess. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the We are Vinyl version from? Amazon only has it for the expensive non-Prime price. Did it just get released?

21. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I didn’t get Ram It Down (my least favorite of theirs so I passed on that title).... but it’s everywhere here at record stores in Toronto Canada ranging from 24-29.99. Ram It Down was just released last month along with Defenders and Priest Live. I see that it’s listed on amazon.ca for 27.99. Good luck!!

808_state likes this.
  22. Nighthawk68

I have seen every We Are Vinyl reissue in several stores across Michigan.

23. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

RID suddenly appeared on Prime and with a promo code they gave for a different order it will cost me $11.

Queezma likes this.
  24. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

So Ram it Down arrived this morning and I didn't get to it til later this evening. The disc is cleanly pressed and flat etc. As for sound, it might have a little more bass than the original but the overall production is just painful to listen to and this incarnation still sounds too thin. Why they ever decided to remove nearly all the natural timbre from their music is beyond me. Maybe they thought it sounded more metal. To my ears though if SFV & Defenders were forged steel this album is diecast aluminum.

Queezma likes this.
  25. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I alway thought the production on this album was very weak. Don’t know what they were going for, but it’s just not their best effort in all aspects (just my opinion). And using a drum machine instead of Dave Holland? Maybe KK’s new book will shine some light on this time period (87-88)

808_state likes this.