Julian Cope Album by Album by Single by EP by Pseudonym Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Summer of Malcontent, May 29, 2017.

1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident Thread Starter

THE NOTORIOUS THIRD ALBUM

The sessions for the band’s third album ended in psychedelic, and some might say psychotic, chaos. An EP was cobbled together from the sessions in 1983, and an album eventually followed in 1990.

[​IMG]

THE TEARDROP EXPLODES EP (1983)

Side One: You Disappear From View / Suffocate (new version)
    Side Two: Ouch Monkeys / Soft Enough For You / The In-Psychlopedia

‘You Disappear From View’ is the same as the 1990 album mix.
    ‘Suffocate’ is a completely new recording with strings, not the version from the US edition of Kilimanjaro. It’s available on The Greatest Hit CD.
    The remaining three tracks are all different mixes from the 1990 album (some very different). These mixes are available on the expanded Wilder CDs.

This release also appeared as a ‘You Disappear from View’ 7” and double 7”:

[​IMG]
    You Disappear From View / Suffocate 7” (1982)

[​IMG]
    You Disappear From View / Suffocate // Ouch Monkeys / Soft Enough For You / The In-Psychlopedia double 7” (1982)

Every different version of this release had a different cover.
    The two 7” editions feature the original, Kilimanjaro version of ‘Suffocate’, technically as a double A-side.

[​IMG]

EVERYBODY WANTS TO SHAG. . . THE TEARDROP EXPLODES (1990)

Side One: Ouch Monkeys (remix) / Serious Danger / Metranil Vavin / Count to Ten and Run for Cover / In-Psychlopedia (remix) / Soft Enough For You (remix)
    Side Two: You Disappear from View / The Challenger / Not My Only Friend / Sex (Pussyface) / Terrorist / Strange House in the Snow

‘Strange House in the Snow’ is taken from the b-side of ‘Reward’ (and has nothing to do with these sessions!)

EasterEverywhere and van1 like this.
  2. Summer of Malcontent

THE EVERYBODY WANTS TO SHAG. . . SINGLES

[​IMG]
    Serious Danger (LP version) / Sleeping Gas (LP version) 7” (1990)
    Serious Danger (long version) / Sleeping Gas (LP version) / Seven Views of Jerusalem (LP version) 12” (1990)
    Serious Danger (LP version) / Sleeping Gas (LP version) / Seven Views of Jerusalem (LP version) CD (1990)

The long version of ‘Serious Danger’ runs 4.23, including an extra verse, and is uncredited on the sleeve and label. Some, but not all, copies of the CD single also include this longer version.

[​IMG]
    Count to Ten and Run for Cover (LP version) / Reward 7” (1990)
    Count to Ten and Run for Cover (LP version) / Poppies (LP version) / Like Leila Khaled Said (LP version) / Reward 12” and CD (1990)

3. Summer of Malcontent

There's almost another Wilder here. There isn't as big a stylistic leap between albums as there was between the first two, but it was still startling how modern the electronic / dance influence sounded when the album came out in 1990. There were even grumblings that the tapes had been tarted up to introduce shades of acid house, but as Julian said, at the time they were just trying to sound like Sylvester.

The album's weaknesses are, for me, mostly on the second side. 'Challenger' is one of the most generic songs the band ever released; 'Terrorist' is a nondescript instrumental that sounds like it would have been better assigned to a b-side; and 'Strange House in the Snow' just doesn't belong. (I replaced it with the dramatic, string-driven rerecording of 'Suffocate' on my bespoke version.)

On the other hand, the resurrected EP tracks are all terrific. 'In-Psychlopedia' is the most improved from the scrappy original mix; 'Ouch Monkeys' is a fantastic soundscape enveloping a very good song; 'Soft Enough for You' is lush and bouncy; and 'You Disappear from View' is a perfect pop song with a perfect pop production - though the other released versions show that it was such a strong song that it also worked as forbidding industrial krautrock or moody folk (a style the band rarely employed - 'Use Me' is the other example I can think of - but were really good at). 'Metranil Vavin' and 'Pussyface' were much improved for Cope's first solo album (and 'Pussyface' was further improved on the single remix), but they were already excellent.

Of the remaining new tracks, 'Serious Danger' is great, 'Count to Ten and Run for Cover' is fine, and probably the closest to the classic Teardrops sound, and 'Not My Only Friend' is a gorgeous ballad, though maybe not as fine as the two that close Wilder. All in all, a top drawer album considering how famous a shambles the sessions were.

sparkmeister likes this.
  4. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Thanks for your great work so far. I have kili (1 cd with bonus tracks), wilder (2 cd) and 'everybody wants...'. I'd like to hear more on cd but i think the only other real options are the 3 cd kili and the bbc sessions which are both out of print.

Still, with the bonus tracks there's enough music for 4 albums.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  5. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Yeah, I think this is a decent album. Lots of interesting moments. I really like "The Ouch Monkeys", "Soft Enough for You", "You Disappear from View", and "Strange House in the Snow". The others are okay-to-good.

If there's one thing I don't like it's that sometimes Cope sounds detached from the music, like he's singing while reading the lyrics sheet, as if the song were a demo or something. Also, some of the songs sound like they don't have much [real] bass on them. The first song with some real "oomph" is "Count to Ten and Run for Cover", which sounds like something off of "My Nation Underground".

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

"Scratchy production"? Son, noooo. :unhunh:

Piano was assembled from needledrops as the master tapes were missing. You're listening to vinyl there!

7. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Yeah, by "production" I am meaning the production of the CD, not the production of the original tapes.

I suppose "scratchy mastering" would be a better word choice. Sorry about that!

Ben Adams likes this.
  8. Summer of Malcontent

Further to this, 'Just Like Leila Khaled Said' was rerecorded (by Black Sheep) as 'Leila Khaled' on Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse (both versions), and 'Sleeping Gas' was rerecorded in the early 90s as 'Sleeping Gas 90', which was ultimately released on Floored Genius 4.

Apart from unreleased songs (the two third album songs rerecorded for World Shut Your Mouth, 'Screaming Secrets'), I think these are the only subsequent rerecordings of Teardrop Explodes tracks by Cope, though there are probably a few live performances, like the 1991 'Passionate Friend' on Floored Genius 2.

9. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Yeah, I couldn't find any other studio re-recordings either. (I looked after your post)

10. Summer of Malcontent

THE TEARDROP EXPLODES COMPILATIONS

Wrapping up the Teardrop Explodes years with the significant compilations and loose ends, before plunging into the psychedelic glory of the Mercury solo albums.

[​IMG]
    PIANO (1990)

All the Zoo singles, plus the three tracks from To the Shores of Lake Placid.

[​IMG]
    THE GREATEST HIT (2001)

Standard best of, but with a few rarities:

Ha Ha I’m Drowning – single remix / edit
    Suffocate (previously unreleased strings) – not previously unreleased, but it’s the version from The Teardrop Explodes EP for the first (only?) time on CD
    When I Dream – a unique edit running 3.45
    Christ vs. Warhol – first CD appearance of this b-side. Now available on the 2013 Wilder CD.

And the opening fanfare of ‘Reward’ (re)appears as a brief hidden track after ‘The Great Dominions’.

I have to say, that cover image is a great way of summing up the Teardrop Explodes sound!

[​IMG]
    ZOOLOGY (2004)

Previously unreleased rarities and outtakes (and uncredited BBC sessions), released by Julian Cope on his Head Heritage label. Sources identified on the basis of the (unreliable) liner notes and [in square brackets] subsequent information. Corrections and additions VERY gratefully accepted.

From Five Miles Up – MVCU, December 1978
    Camera Camera – ‘What’s On’ TV performance, January 1979
    Brave Boys Keep Their Promises – Cargo Studios, Summer 1979
    Nobody Knows This Is Everywhere – Alan Gill’s Studio [BBC Session, currently available on Kilimanjaro 3CD reissue]
    When I Dream – early version, April 1980, previously released on To the Shores of Lake Placid
    Screaming Secrets – Bear Shank Lodge
    Books – early version by the pre-Teardrops A Shallow Madness, demo, June 1978
    The Culture Bunker – live in New York, WLIR broadcast [Live, BBC In Concert]
    I’m Not the Loving Kind – The Producer’s Workshop [BBC Session, currently available on Wilder 2CD reissue]
    Log Cabin – third album demo
    Tiny Children – The Producer’s Workshop
    You Disappear from View –early version, The Producer’s Workshop
    . . . And the Fighting Takes Over – Warner Brothers demo [BBC Session, currently available on Wilder 2CD reissue]
    Sleeping Gas – [Live, BBC In Concert]
    The Tunnel – live at Eric’s Club, late 1978
    Ritchie Blofeld – Yorkie’s, summer 1978
    Untitled Track – documentary excerpt, not by the band

[​IMG]
    PEEL SESSIONS PLUS (2007)

Largely superceded by the inclusion of various BBC tracks on the Kilimanjaro and Wilder reissues, but the last three tracks haven’t been released elsewhere:

Jensen Session 27/6/82: Log Cabin / Buchanan / You Disappear From View.

Plus two random compilations:

LIVERPOOL CULT CLASSICS: UNEARTHED VOLUME 1 (2001): Straight Rain

Previously unreleased track, credited to A Shallow Madness. It’s a brief, moody post-punk instrumental. Could have been a b-side, but it’s no lost classic.

I have no idea if this is an authorised release or not!

LIVERPOOL CULT CLASSICS: UNEARTHED VOLUME 2 (2001): Camera Camera (live)

Likewise!

This is an okay audience recording of what sounds like a small club performance.

These two releases are available on iTunes if you just want to get the Teardrops tracks. The first volume also has a great early version of The La’s ‘Knock Me Down’ (called ‘Don’t Lock Me Out’).

Forlornicus likes this.
  11. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

The only one I have out of that lot is Peel Sessions Plus and I love it. It makes a nice refreshing change from the original versions and it's nice to have them all together in one set. It gets quite abut if air time in my house. A vinyl release would have been nice though.

ralphb likes this.
  12. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

There was also something called "Screaming Secrets", which was a mix of demos, live tracks, and alt versions. I'm not sure where (or whether) it was officially released, but it apparently came out in 1989 or 1990. I think I have a tape of it somewhere.

I've seen different track listings for "Screaming Secrets" in the past. Here's a couple:

01 You Better Scream
    02 Make That Move, Baby
    03 ...and the Fighting Takes Over
    04 You Disappear From View
    05 The Loving Kind
    06 For Years
    07 The Great Dominions [1981-01-20 Skinner]
    08 S.P.Q.R. [live]
    09 Suffocate [1981-05 live]
    10 Screaming Secrets [1981-05 live]
    11 The Butcher's Tale
    12 Suffocate
    13 Tiny Children
    14 Blaze Star
    15 Log Cabin
    16 Flipped Out on LSD
    17 My Indifference
    18 Ha Ha I'm Drowning
    19 ... or "I Could Strangle Pete Wylie"

01 Larceny (Acapulco version)
    02 Blaze Star (instrumental demo)
    03 Flipped Out on LSD (excerpt)
    04 Ha Ha I'm Drowning (Peel Session, 2 Oct. 1979)
    05 Hanging Around for Years (Skinner Session, 20 Nov. 1981)
    06 Log Cabin (demo)
    07 My Indifference (Jensen Session, 8 July 1982)
    08 Screaming Secrets (live, May 1981)
    09 Straight Rain (I Could Strangle Pete Wylie) (live, 17 Sept. 1979)
    10 Suffocate (live, May 1981)
    11 Suffocate (alt. version)
    12 The Butcher's Tale (instrumental demo)
    13 The Great Dominions (Skinner Session, 20 Nov. 1981)
    14 The Loving Kind (Skinner Session, 6 May 81)
    15 Tiny Children (demo)
    16 You Better Scream (Skinner Session, 17 Aug. 1981)
    17 You Disappear From View (Jensen Session, 8 July 1982)

I also have heard a tape of demos, from around 1982.

Some of these tracks may have made their way to CD but others didn't. Perhaps someday we'll see a "Zoology 2" which collects these and possibly other "missing" Teardrop Explodes tracks onto CD? I'd buy it in an instant!

13. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Peel Sessions Plus and Zoology are both great. The Peels Sessions CD is more consistent in production and performance quality; Zoology has more peaks and valleys.

Whenever I hear their live tracks (especially "Sleeping Gas") it really strikes me how awesome the band was. It's too bad they couldn't hold it together longer, because the Teardrops (especially live) had a really cool post-punky sound which Cope never quite duplicated again. Not that duplication was his goal, however. But when the Teardrops split, something really cool was lost forever.

14. Summer of Malcontent

There was a live Teardrops video released way back in the 80s, which I have. . . somewhere. Even if I can find it, I don't know if I can scare up a working VHS player, or if it would even play after all this time.

Edit: I should have known that even so ancient an artifact would leave some kind of trace on the internet.

This is the tape:
    [​IMG]

And this, apparently, is the setlist:
    Books / Passionate Friends / Ha Ha I'm Drowning / Just Like Leila Khaled Said / Poppies in the Field / Suffocate / Treason

sparkmeister likes this.
  15. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Is this it (from 1981)?

Here's a later gig, sounding a lot less tight:

Teardrop Explodes, Live on the OGWT, full show, 1982 (1982 Old Grey Whistle Test)

Man, they were on fire in that 1981 gig. Contrast that to the 1982 show, where they look and sound so subdued and out of it...

Huge contrast!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    oldturkey likes this.
  16. Summer of Malcontent

That looks like it!

17. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

Is this a good time to discuss Head On, since it covers the Teardrop Explodes days?

18. Summer of Malcontent

Why not? I wasn't planning on slotting his books into the discography, so we might as well discuss them whenever they seem most relevant.

19. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

You should do, they're great!

20. Summer of Malcontent

I think that'd be stepping onto the slippery slope where discography ends up as full-blown biography!

21. Summer of Malcontent

Here we go, into the solo years:

[​IMG]
    WORLD SHUT YOUR MOUTH (1984)

Side One: Bandy’s First Jump / Metranil Vavin / Strasbourg / An Elegant Chaos / Quizmaster / Kolly Kibber’s Birthday
    Side Two: Sunshine Playroom / Head Hang Low / Pussyface / Greatness and Perfection / Lunatic and Fire-Pistol

Later CD reissues add previously released single tracks and BBC Sessions.

THE WORLD SHUT YOUR MOUTH SINGLES

[​IMG]
    Sunshine Playroom / Hey High Class Butcher 7” (1983)
    Sunshine Playroom / Wreck My Car / Hey High Class Butcher / Eat the Poor 12” (1983)

[​IMG]
    The Greatness and Perfection of Love (remix) / 24A Velocity Crescent 7” (1984)
    The Greatness and Perfection of Love (remix) / 24A Velocity Crescent / Pussyface (remix) 12” (1984)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  22. Summer of Malcontent

For me, this is one of the greatest albums of the 1980s. Julian roars out of the gate of his solo career with a superb collection of songs in an array of neo-psychedelic styles. Cope never had much trouble coming up with killer pop hooks (when he felt like doing so), but this album is ridiculously overendowed with them, and the rock-solid songwriting allows him to segue gracefully from muscular romanticism ('Strasbourg') to fey pastoral ('An Elegant Chaos') to fizzy pop ('Quizmaster') to clanging industrial psych with no small debt to Joy Division ('Kolly Kibber's Birthday' - quite likely my favourite thing he's ever done). Then next up is the debut single, 'Sunshine Playroom', which somehow finesses just as many mood swings into a single song. I love the middle eight that sounds like the theme tune to some long-forgotten Supermarionation show, and how the whole song at one point dissolves into kindergarten playground ambience before kicking back in. Cope even includes a Perfect Pop Song ('Greatness and Perfection'), and it's almost lost in the crowd on this album. In my opinion, if this album actually included its iconic title track, it would be one of its weaker songs. A stone-cold classic.

23. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Agree with your assessment. and second the fact the Kolly Kibber's Birthday is a fantastic song.

oldturkey likes this.
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Oh that's nice!

You're so right about this LP. It's astonishing how much this LP is bursting with hooks and ideas. Agree with you about KKB too, and Quizmaster/Strasbourg. How much attack and attitude is there on these tracks?
    Brandy's First Jump (a Baa Baa Baa song as he calls them) is such a great way to start an album - powerful from the off and never lets up. That's a Teardrop Explodes vocal but to be honest it tops the Teardrops. Metranil Vavin is SO much better than on "Shags" . Strasbourg - what a fantastic lyric - "Always fighting with yourself - be something - be happy. If I were France and you were Germany" etc. Top drawer.

Some of these tracks really repay playing at volume - Quizmaster (spitting out lyrics like he has so much to say and Kolly Kibber's Birthday especially - the drum machine on that is like having aural nails hammered into your head but it's great - same with Brandy's drums.
    The whole album is so good it's like something he'd been saving up for a while - this sort of thing is how I rationalise why a lot of artist's debut LPs are full of great songs compared to their second (it's not true of Cope though).

I really love this LP - BUT I really cannot listen to Elegant Chaos and I don't really like Greatness and Perfection. I know everyone loves it, Julian always plays it live but for me it's the track I'll skip on this LP. Too clever trying to be a no 1 single and just too overplayed. I expect everyone to disagree with me so I'll put on my tin hat.

I'll have another listen to this tomorrow and add any more thoughts if I have any. Have to talk about Hey High Class Butcher. Who does the female sampled vocal on Metranil Vavin?
    You should also mention Christ vs Warhol on "Revell" with the great demos on it, and I have a Tamworth Demos bootleg with more demos on it, some repeated.
    I have the 2004 Japanese cd UICY-3410 with the Pussyface Remix - and the UK 2CD with Peel sessions.

The rear sleeve photograph looks like Ian MacCulloch imo.

25. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Happy (and a bit surprised) to see so much love for "Kolly Kibber's Birthday". I have put that song on many mix tapes/cd's for people over the years. If it's not my absolute favorite Cope song, it's 2nd, after maybe "Safesurfer". Maybe it's a tie.