Just got a preamp PrimaLuna ProLogue 3. I have some questions please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romerovm, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I just got a PrimaLuna ProLogue 3 preamp, and this is how I have my setup so far:

Turntable to "Aux 2" (phonoboard is installed on it) on the PrimaLuna. From the PrimaLuna "Tape Out" to my RR2150 Outlaw receiver "Tape in".

I assume I am using the phono stage of the PrimaLuna since the phono stage on the receiver is unplugged. However, I thought I was going to be able to use the volume knob from the PrimaLuna, but the receiver is still the one I have to use.

Is this the recommended setup, and I am getting the best possible sound this way?

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Set up this way, the PL is basically acting just as a phono preamp, volume control is bypassed. Use your receiver as usual.

Not sure what you are gaining by doing this though. Get an actual amp, use the correct outputs and the PL will function as it should.

3. Romerovm

Oh hey Steve! :)

Right. I have not been able to tell a big difference in sound, so I knew something was wrong. So what should I change with the setup to optimize the sound? I don't hear the tubes yet. :sigh:

4. Steve Hoffman

Probably all bypassed, you're using the tape section.

Your amp is a receiver? Has no phono section?

The way you have it set up, you are just using the phono of the PL. No tubes.

5. Romerovm

I do have a phono section on my receiver. It is a RR2150 Outlaw integrated. So the PL and the RR both have phono sections. How do I set it up to get the tubes? I figured I was bypassing it.

6. Steve Hoffman

Yikes. Not sure what you need the PL for.

I guess you could use the main outs of the PL into AUX of the receiver and deal with two volume controls. Could be a total mismatch.

Who advised you to do this in the first place?

7. Romerovm

I wanted to get the tubes sound. Several friends have integrated receivers with this preamp for the tubes. I don't really care where the volume is controlled, but I want the tubes.

8. Steve Hoffman

First of all, the PL has no tube sound to speak of. I have one. It's totally neutral. Even when I swap NOS tubes for Chinese, I hear no tube sound. For some this is good, for others, it's too boring or clinical.

If you want to hear tube sound as I think I understand your meaning, you need a VINTAGE preamp like a McIntosh MX-110 or something like that. A PL isn't going to make any difference IMO.

However, it's a good preamp and needs a nice amplifier to go with it.

The way you have it set up it's not going to give you anything you want. Even if you use the main outs it isn't going to meet your expectations...

9. Romerovm

I have Phono, Video, CD, Tape In, Tape Out, External Processor In, External Processor Out on my integrated receiver. A friend just advised me to use one of the preamp outputs to avoid the fixed volume issue with Tape Out. Where do I plug it on the receiver? There is a Pre Out and Main In with jumpers on it as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. Romerovm

So, I removed the jumpers and plugged the preamp output to Main In. Now the volume from the RR2150 is disabled and I am using the one from the PL. Is this the correct setup not to bypass the tubes?

11. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Yes, now you're using the Outlaw as the amplifier, and you're now using the PrimaLuna as it's intended.

12. Romerovm

Oh okay, thanks. What is annoying is that everything is disabled. Even the bass and treble features.

13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

On tour PrimaLuna? They shouldn't be disabled if you're just using the power section of the Outlaw.

14. Romerovm

I don' get what I am doing wrong then. Output Amp to Main In is what I have it on right now.

15. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

The tone controls on the outlaw are bypassed when you use the main in along with all preamp sections with in.

16. Romerovm

Oh, I read this again. The Outlaw is disabled. The PL isn't. I think you misunderstood thinking it was the other way around.

17. Romerovm

And that's what I want it to do correct?

utahusker likes this.
  18. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

Yes. That is how the PL3 should be used.

utahusker and Romerovm like this.
  19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

^^^^This^^^^^

20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Then what's annoying about everything being disabled on your Outlaw? You have all of the controls on your pre-amp.:confused:

21. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

There are no tone controls on the PL is my guess what his gripe is.

Romerovm likes this.
  22. Romerovm

That's right. No controls like balance, bass, treble... blah blah.

23. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

You won't be able to utilize any tone controls when you have the Primaluna as your preamp going into the Outlaw.

Having at one time owned both an RR2150 and a Primaluna Prologue 3, IMO the latter is a significant step up the audio ladder (not that the Outlaw is a slouch, it's a very nice entry into the world of better sound).

Live with the PL going into the Outlaw for a while. Get used to its sound. Then disconnect the PL entirely and listen to the Outlaw. Do you prefer one over the other?
    Keep the one you like better. If it's the PL, get a tubed amp to go with it if you want. If you have the space, and the funds, keep both the Outlaw for a 2nd system and the PL plus an amp for your main system. But listen carefully first and see what you prefer.

BigE likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You need a tube amp if you want the tube sound. I had the PrimaLuna PL3 and hot-rodded Dynaco Mark III monoblocks and it was pretty killer. The Outlaw is a great piece but you would lose all those inputs if you ditch it.

Romerovm likes this.
  25. Romerovm

Thanks for the feedback. Which tube amp would you recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.