Just installed my first outboard DA Converter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! Never have I heard such sounds from my system. The DAC is a Dan Wright modified MBS Link II unit. I am just using my Sony NS500V DVD/SACD player as a transport, connected through a digital coaxial cable to the DAC. I never knew an excellent DAC would make this much difference. At first, I noticed the treble was smoother and not nearly as harsh as the same disc through the analog outputs on the DVD player. Then the bass kicked in! More than I ever heard before. I had to turn down my subwoofer! Then I decided I had to turn OFF my subwoofer! Still tons of bass! I had to cut the bass on my receiver down to flat (I had the bass boosted before). AAAHHHH! The smoothest sound I have ever heard from a redbook CD. This sounded even better than many of my SACD's. I would recommend anyone with a large CD collection to look into getting a better DAC and use their CD player as a transport. You will love the difference!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhhh but there are so may DAC's out there. Hate to dump $1,000.00 on a DAC and be disappointed.

Just the same I'm keeping my eyes peeled!

Enjoy your DAC!

G

3. Chris,

I have a standard MSB Link III with the upsampling chip. It is amazing how much better my system sounds with the MSB DAC. All of the digital "haze" went away. Everything is much smoother. Dis you compare the sound of a standard MSB Link II to a Dan Wright modified Link? Is there a noticable difference?

John

4. rickjames

rickjames New Member

I don't know if your DAC upsamples, but if it does, it's hard to beat for getting real close to that analog sound. I use a Sony SCD-1 for SACD's and a Dodson DAC for all my redbooks. As good as the SCD-1 is all around, the outboard DAC is smoother and more analog sounding for redbooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.