Just talked to a guy who was ashamed to tell me what his stereo system was!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

It would take a lot of money to upgrade the sound quality I get from my Music Angel Integrated tube amp( YC-808MK). It uses a quad of KT88's for power. As you stated the price/performance is ridiculous. I couldn't buy a similar US made chasis for the total cost of the amp. Some day I'll upgrade, but this amp is so good, I am in no hurry. Never be embarrased, you can only work with what you have to work with.

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I have an almost embarrassing confession.

Since I keep my thermostat at 45 in the winter (that's NOT the embarrassing part)...oftentimes, for many days on end, the temperature in my place doesn't go above 55. That's the cutoff point for my playing my music thru my main speakers.

So.....I play my music thru this little system...

[​IMG]

The cube speakers are about 3 inches square and I bought this tiny set for $39 about 2003. I got it for my computer then.

Doesn't sound too bad for 45 degrees ! ;)

Hey...it IS Cambridge Soundworks by Henry Kloss ! :D Simply stunning !!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    jlykos, Dino and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

My system has improved significantly in the last few years. I love it, but guess what? The great music was still great and appreciated on my more modest setup. Having bigger money systems is a luxury and nice, but nobody ought to be ashamed of enjoying tunes on the best thing they can afford!

TS582 and Six String like this.
  4. barno

barno Active Member

Ok.. I have read all of you guy's posts and of course, NONE of you should feel ashamed... It is just I, that feels utterly ashamed to know the lot of you!!!!........... Just kidding....:)

5. barno

barno Active Member

I have had some decent pieces of gear ever since my first system as a teen... Including my car stereo systems as well... However, When , I lived overseas in England, I just had a TON of fun for years with my Pioneer NS-7 system... Still have it and wont part with it.. It just has so many multiple uses and applications.... I would use it to wind down after a long week with some spanish cava and would end up

turning up the volume more and more and would eventually max out the damn thing (LOUD, I may add).... Did that MANY, MANY saturdays.. It could handle playing at max volume..I eventually fried some parts on 2 occasions which was understandable because I would push that little thing SOOO hard for hours... I would just take it to a great technician who would order the parts and fix it all up for me good as new...

I even had him replace the case shell of the unit I loved it that much... He came to love it for its engineering and SQ as well, for what it was.. (humble little "lifestyle system" )... I think there is just "something" about either overachieving or the great value we get in components that didnt cost us a stressful fortune...

I have some pieces that were quite expensive for me to get and I LOVE them dearly , BUT, that little Pioneer NS-7 just makes me smile and light up thinking about it and the GREAT times I had with it.... There is just something about an overachieving component that really doesnt cost you anything to own.......

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  6. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I have never heard a Henry Kloss design that I did not enjoy to listening to. To pull that off at the prices of his products (Advent and Cambridge Soundworks) made him somewhat of a hero to me.

Six String likes this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

That is seriously dangerous. Such low temperatures can kill you or at least make you seriously ill. Why would you do that?

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I had the great fortune of developing a dialogue with Barry Diament when I was reconfiguring my studio. From construction notes and sound treatment to advice on front-end, speakers and interconnects he was a wealth of inspiration and knowledge.

He cautioned me more than once that the more revealing my system was, the more I would notice the quality of recording, mixing and mastering of my favorite albums. In some cases this would be a wonderful experience but it could also be an unpleasant surprise. He was exactly right. The thing is, once I heard these issues I couldn't un-hear them, even on smaller less revealing systems. A fancy system is great to have but there is a potential down side where music you love could actually be not as much fun to listen to.

If you are happy with how music sounds your system, don't be ashamed of it and certainly don't feel like you should upgrade just to meet the status quo. Satisfaction is not guaranteed.

barno and Dino like this.
  9. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

When I was a kid, my dad always had the thermostat set at 52°F in the winter, and I survived somehow. :)

Grant likes this.
  10. OnTheRoad

What ?

I dress warmly and have plenty of covers on my bed so I stay comfortable. I've spent lots of time in my life out in very cold temperatures skiing and snowshoeing and never had ill effects. It's not the temperature that hurts one...it's germs and viruses. 45 is not dangerous in the least unless you have no clothing and/or are wet.

I haven't been 'sick' in a long time. Can't even remember when I've had a fever due to some sort of infection or sickness either.

It's no different than outdoor camping in the fall with a roof and walls.

As far as my speakers...I don't use them until a satisfactory 'room temperature' of 55+.

Another witness ! :)

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Absolutely! The human body can adapt to climate.

12. The germs will be shiverin'!

Dino likes this.
  13. OnTheRoad

Benefits to cold are that it keeps both the spiders and snakes away ! :D

They may be hiding in the walls..and that's OK. Out of sight, out of mind !

Ratsnakes in the walls are good. I need to find something that'll eat Brown Recluse spiders in the summer though. o_O

14. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

Ditto. Still rockin' my Smaller Advents after more than 35 years. And a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Model Sixes await in the wings. What more could I ever need?

Dino likes this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

My first listening system was simply a little transistor radio with a single ear plug that my folks bought me in 1965 for my 14th birthday. I thought it was THE coolest thing on earth. Since then I've had all kinds of gear- never really anything high end but I've never been ashamed of any of it because the alternative is to have nothing to listen to. I'm always happy to upgrade when and where I can but if for some crazy reason all I had right now was my little transistor radio (I wish I had kept it!) I would be thankful for it and not ashamed to say, "Here's my stuff!"

And then I'd start to work it back up, of course!

rxcory likes this.
  16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Oh, and yes I do remember Pacific Stereo. I used to go into the one in Mountain View all the time. Great store. I wish there were stores like that today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.