Justified: Premiere on FX Tonight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aaronfirebrand, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

It's available now.

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Craig likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's too bad, but six seasons is a good run. Wish Deadwood had gone on so long.

jriems likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Everything ends eventually. Thanks for the info.

7. Graham Yost and his writers were running the show and are responsible for the scripts. While Elmore's work provided the Inspiration, it's not like they didn't have a lot of talent other than Elmore working on the show.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Justified failed to grab me after first season. Now glued to The Sopranos easily 10/10 rating. I had seen a few episodes real time .. but not the whole series per se.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree. It's been a very solid show all around--strong writing and performances--but I think six seasons is plenty. I'm enjoying the new episodes, but so far, it has yet to really wow me like last season did. Better to quit while they're ahead than to run it into the ground.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree that the story line this season, so far, hasn't been as compelling.

But I like Amy Smart more than Natalie Zea :)

11. agentalbert

I wonder if the series will end with Art (or someone) having to take Raylan down for some of the things he's done. They could be setting up his involvement in the death of Theo Tonin at the end of season 4 as that event.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Take him down? As in, following the trail and ultimately making him resign at the end of the show? I could see that. It would be a bittersweet end, where he was "forced" into something better in retirement.

But if you mean take him down as in sending him to prison? No way. He's ultimately a good guy who sometimes uses bad judgment. He's not going to be sent to prison.

13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Here's hoping for a Dewey Crowe spin-off!

jdrueke likes this.
  14. agentalbert

Probably not, but maybe he'll do something else worse. Maybe he'll seriously cross the line in protecting his ex-wife or baby or someone else and get a heroic sacrificial death. Art's been varying levels of uncomfortable with Raylan for quite some time. I like it better when they're on good terms, but it wouldn't be true to Art's character to just keep looking the other way.

That guy is pure comedy gold. Praying to God and promising to change his ways if the big guy will just help him out wrapping up this execution was hilarious.

15. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

That was Nicky Augustine, Theo Tonin's still alive and could well play a part in things going forward. Agree that this season hasn't been as gripping - could use less of the Latvian wife plotline. Don't tease us with a Boyd/Duffy team-up and then spend the next three episodes on a Boyd/'Character we don't care about' team-up.

Regardless, I'm on board with everything else they're developing (Art, Crowes, Johnny), and less-than-stellar Justified is still great TV.

16. agentalbert

You're right. Nicky Augustine was gunned down on the tarmac. Have we met Theo Tonin? His son Sammy was the idiot that got killed at the beginning of this season. I had to look up Theo and he's played by Adam Arkin and has appeared in two episodes, so we have seen him a few times.

I don't have any problem with anything so far this season. I think its been as entertaining as ever.

17. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Yeah, I got the sense that maybe Theo was intended to be the "big bad" in Season 4, but Adam Arkin's schedule was too hectic. Thus, they created the character of Nicky Augustine - good thing too, Mike O'Malley was great.

Amen, it's always extremely entertaining. Still the best show going, in my mind. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc. are all great for their "holy ****!" scenes that it typically takes an episode or two or five to arrive at, but for me, Justified routinely achieves the same thrill through a typical dialogue exchange. It's amazing how casually those writers and actors pull this off. Why do we learn more about Kendall Crowe in one scene than we knew about T-Dawg in 3 seasons of The Walkind Dead?! AND it still has those "holy ****" moments of action to back them up. Good stuff.

jriems likes this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It's a great series. I am finding this season less intense than previous seasons, however. The storylines aren't as life-and-death for the most part - at least so far. That said, I think the dialogue is exceptional, and that it's the most laid-back and humorous that it's ever been. I'm enjoying that, but I do also think there's a danger that approach can be taken too far.

Justified does an amazing job of balancing the dramatic and humorous aspects of the show. It's that balance that keeps me coming back.

SPOILER

I really do miss Arlo Givens this season, though!

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

And I wish Boyd's wife wasn't in jail. I miss her in those backwoods halter-tops..

jriems likes this.
  20. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Anyone else notice how bad last night's episode was? Writing, most of the acting.... this series has really fallen apart.

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I certainly wouldn't go that far. Last night's ep was a bit of a yawner, but Goggins and Olyphant could read the phone book and it would interest me. There are still plenty of good story opportunities that can be explored before the end of the season, and I just hope they explore them.

I am pretty tired of Ava's storyline, though. They kind of wrote that one into a corner, and I'm quite uninterested at this point.

22. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I agree about Goggins but Olyphant really seems to be kinda relying on the usual bag of tricks this season. The prison storyline is tired and cliche and Michael Rappaport and his sister are trying to compensate for bad dialogue by "quirkying" up their accents. I thought the season started off great but it's really tailing off into predictability.

23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think Michael Rapaport's accent has been horrendous from jump, so I'm with you there.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This season, so far, has been by far the weakest IMHO. I mean, even bad Justified is better than 99% of what's out there. But I keep waiting for the season to kick into high gear and, for me, it hasn't.

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I will admit, it's the weakest season so far. In that regard, I agree with both you and mindblanking. I doubt very seriously it's going to turn out "Dexter Season 8" bad, though. Like you said, bad Justified is better than 99% of what's out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.