*Justin Bieber breaks both The Beatles and Drake chart records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Whenever I feel the need for some constancy and predictability in my life, I click on a thread about a current pop star on this forum.

Diamond Dog, Jasonb and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I don't know who drake is either. Who cares who drake is or about hip hop ????

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I was wondering when The End Of Days would ever get here...

[​IMG]

manicpopthrill and Tristero like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Millions of people who are actually in touch with what's going on in music these days.

5. Behold, a pale horse!

Raunchnroll and gd0 like this.
  6. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

But will he ever break Slim Whitman's record? Actually Bryan Adams did but the Beatles couldn't beat Slim.

Maybe one of these days I'll try listening to Bieber and Drake.

EVOLVIST and Jerry like this.
  7. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Bieber and Kayne should record a duet for charity, the money should be given to somebody to burn down the studio while there in it, that would count as charity.

Rubber65 likes this.
  8. Somehow, though, this doesn't fill me with patriotic fervour.

tootull likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Top 40 kind of matters because of the historical importance of Casey Kasem's show. But at least in my day, it didn't take any sales to reach the lower half of the top 40. Just a decent amount of radio play would get you to the 30's without any real sales. Think of McCartney singles like "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Give Ireland back to the Irish" and "Girls School", all of which charted in the U.S., but actually sold very few copies.

At least, that's my thinking. It wasn't really a serious comment.

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am going to go out in a limb that Drake doesn't know who you are either or cares what some anonymous hip hop troll on the internet thinks about him.

noahjld and eddiel like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Too bad that was your impression because it is mistaken. I was being facetious.

In that other post, you said that your aim was to gauge the board's response and that
    A-a-a-a-a...:tsk: don't change what I wrote. I did not say I expected to "stir up negative reactions".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Boomers don't control the media. Area 51 maybe....but not the media.
    Charles Dolan, Anne Chambers, Amos Hostetter, Phoebe Hearst Cook, Ted Turner etc. of the news & cable empires -- too old to be boomers.
    The newer crop: Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Steve Case...and on and on - they're all younger than boomers.

13. Grant

No. Record labels really do tell some artists what to record. And if they don't, they can ruin them.

14. Grant

When you think about it, even though Billboard constantly changes the rules, in the older days, the charts were still questionable because of payola, and other types of cheating.

eddiel likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Let the boy rock and roll. :D

16. maybe god is a belieber

17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The preponderance of western culture music fans are Beatles fans. This forum is just a reflection of that.

18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ah! Well that's different. Geez...certain bands (not just The Beatles) could have had the run of the entire Top 20 if each individual track could chart.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is a good point; if Beatlemania had occurred in an era with the internet, streaming, iTunes, and over 7 billion people, then I imagine that they could have had 30+ songs charting.

As you say, it is apples and oranges in any case, with streaming and Youtube views now coming into affect.

I have nothing against Bieber in any case (I don't really know anything about him and I have never heard his music) and I am happy for him, and I don't think that there is any reason to get angry; first of all it was said that the DC5 might be bigger than the Beatles, then it was the Bay City Rollers, then it was the Knack, then Oasis, then One Direction, etc.

We will know that someone is bigger than them when the sentence 'bigger than the Beatles' is no longer in use.

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

[​IMG]

greenwichsteve likes this.
  22. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Heard a song by him yesterday on CBC (segment on success of Canadian artists) and actually it wasn't bad.

Not to my taste, but anyone who can have success in the industry these days deserves some measure of respect.

It's not as easy as some here would make out.

noahjld and Grant like this.
  24. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Indeed. And the music industry wonders why it struggles....................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.