Justin Hayward - guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member Thread Starter

What are you feelings about Justin Hayward's playing throughout his long
    studio career?
    I'm rediscovering his playing as strikingly understated, and skillfully restrained,
    yet much more soulful than given credit for.
    Well worth the trip back folks.
    -mike

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always thought he could be one of the very best if he had wanted. There are a couple of riffs in "Dawning Is The Day" that sound impossible.

Great guitarist, great band ...

darerock and Groundhog713 like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think he's a great player. One one of the most underrated players in rock IMO. Great tone and taste throughout his entire career . The only reason I can think of for his guitar playing being mostly ignored is the profile of the band. The Moody Blues have chosen a mostly MOR approach the last twenty years or so or more. which doesn't lead other younger guitar players to check them/him out.

His tone is as identifiable to me as Santana or anyone else who you can recognize right away.
    If the Moody Blues had chosen to record more material like "Ride My See Saw" maybe Justin would be better known, but in the context of the material he has played on, he's one of my favorites.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Great example. I aways wondered if he played those in real time or had the tape sped up.

5. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Brilliant guitarist, imo. Very unique sound/tone. Love his solos on "It's Up To You", "Higher & Higher", "You & Me", "My Song", among many others.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

He's a fine guitarist with a distinctive style - I love his playing.

Groundhog713 and Thomas Lane like this.
  7. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Diddley,

I can't say it any better than you already have. I love Jus! I even bought a 335 (see my avatar), because it is his axe of choice.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  8. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

Great guitarist! One of the first riffs I learned when I started playing was "The Story in Your Eyes"

9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Justin's solo in 'The Story In Your Eyes' is a killer! And the lovely subdued solo in 'New Horizons'.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Agree with everyone here.
    In concert he opens up a bit which can be a good or a bad thing. Always enjoyed his leads. I always wanted to hear some acoustic guitar though in concert.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  11. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

He stands out as a orignal sound. I am talking about the 7 classic Lps. Noone had his sound.

Groundhog713 and willy like this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Love his sound - he's quite capable indeed. One track that sticks out in my mind is the opener to the BLUE JAYS album - not only is that a perfect song IMO, but his guitar sound and performance has a lot to do with that judgment.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Jus is first-rate. A great fingerstyle player, no doubt influenced by the folk revival which went on in the Sixties; and a very distinctive electric player. He also achieves a very unique sound, with an attack I've not heard anyone else get - and I've tried! Listen to the dual lead guitars in "You And Me" on Seventh Sojourn for a good example of what I mean. There's guitar heroes, which is okay (think Stevie Rave On, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, etc.); Justin belongs in a different group - players like George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Joey Molland, Neil Finn, etc. whose parts on record exist largely to serve the song itself. I hate the appellation "tasteful", but Justin is certainly that. Not that he never whips it out - the guitar soloing in "Higher & Higher" would give even Steve Howe pause.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  14. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member Thread Starter

Thomas Lane likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

One of most criminally underrated guitarists ever. There are so many great solos along the way...here's just three "under the radar" tracks worth seeking out:

Driftwood
    It May be a Fire
    In My World

Thomas Lane likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd buy the 335 and AC-30 of anybody who'll guarantee that I'll be able to get the "It's Up To You" guitar sound with it! That's probably my fave pop guitar tone ever - simultaneously Brit Invasion and heavy.

Justin is my hero.

Thomas Lane likes this.
  17. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Justin is ace. The fact that you don't see him get his due all that often is a crime.

My fave moment - the guitar solos in New Horizons. Absolutely PERFECT.

bhazen and Thomas Lane like this.
  18. Glenn Christense

I think Justin is still playing his original ES-335 from back in the era, unless he has purchased a clone along the way.

Yep, that tone is great. My favorite song on "Question of Balance" .

Thomas Lane likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Justin Hayward used to be a very talented and original musician.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  20. Glenn Christense

I think he's STILL a great guitar player and writer , I just wish they would kick it up a notch, at least occasionally.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  21. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

bhazen,

There was once a section on Jus' website, where fans could ask him questions, and someone asked him how he got his "Bees Buzzing" (fan's term) sound. I think I recall some sort of pedal being involved, but I can't remember anything else.

Too bad no one has come out with a Justin Hayward 'pod'!

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

One of the very best IMO, as stated above, his playing serves the song while being utterly distinctive. lovely soulful feel, like his singing.
    A really nice guy too I believe, a couple that I know came across him by chance in a little country pub somewhere in England, can't remember exactly where. Anyway, he invited them to join him and they spent the evening chatting. Respect.

willy and Thomas Lane like this.
  23. Glenn Christense

You can't beat that, huh ? It's so refreshing to hear when a hero is really nice.

zobalob likes this.
  24. rushed again

rushed again Senior Member

He's one of my favorite guitarists. Great voice and songwriter. A class act.

Thomas Lane likes this.
  25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

His playing on the fast part of "Question" seems a bit unreal--something like ten hits per second on the guitar strings. Was the tape on that sped up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.