Kanye West announces two new albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

7 song solo album drops June 1 and a colab album with Kid Cudi on June 8. Check his twitter for details.

Of course he's said a lot of things on twitter (and elsewhere), but fingers crossed this actually happens.

And it's nice that some of you can't stand the guy for whatever reason and are not looking forward to what he has coming out, but let's try to keep the discussion somewhat positive and on track.

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Pitchfork 11/10

Like all his albums I'll give it a listen, although nothing but hyperbole since MBDTF

New albums will no doubt be paired with new $15,000 trainers (sneakers if you will) and a fashion range and show. What happened to the videogame?

3. inaptitude

I appreciate MBDTF but find the albums after it much more interesting. Pablo is my personal favourite, but not a bad album across his discography if you ask me.

4. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Exciting news! I'm hoping limiting his solo album to 7 tracks means that it'll be a focused, consistently high-quality effort. Pablo was a bit long and uneven for me.

englishbob likes this.
  5. englishbob

He has just become this enigma now whereby the actual man's output comes secondary to the horsehockey that goes around it. A bit like a Kardashian. Famous for having a high profile dadddy, and that seems enough to base an entire career of "stuff" from now.

In a time before time he wasn't exactly regarded as a very good rapper. Yet he completely circumvented that by releasing "808's and Heartbreaks" and progressing, before (IMO) what is his worst period of Yezus and Pablo. Lets not even go there with the Paul McCartney thing

Vinyl_Blues and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I was never a big Cudi fan but am interested to see how this full collaboration goes. However, all of the Kanye tracks that Cudi is featured on I really enjoy.

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Yeah I still think Fantasy is the most overrated album of modern times. In more ways than that, I kinda feel it's the Sgt Pepper of hip-hop, though I like both records.

I'll always check out whatever Kanye's doing but he hasn't impressed me much with his last few releases.

8. englishbob

Lol - I was hoping the "Sgt Peppers" of hip hop was something from the 80's or 90's!

9. Mr. Grieves

There are plenty of hip hop albums that you could make that proclamation about really lol

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

:biglaugh:

Fullbug and theMess like this.
  11. maxman

maxman Forum Resident

Congratulations.

12. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Good for you.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

How are you enjoying your first day on the internet? :D

crispi, Fullbug, Zomvid and 7 others like this.
  14. uzn007

Just like a Swiss watch.

15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Wonder if there will be a CD release for either of these. Pablo didn't get one...

Astralweeks likes this.
  16. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

IMO the Sgt Pepper Of hip Hop is Beastie Boys’ Pauls Boutique album.

17. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Hard pass.

YMC4 likes this.
  18. Mr. Grieves

That's a good choice. Reason I said fantasy was, was because:

1.) A lot of anticipation for a new project from an artist that was very popular coming back from potentially career ending scandal (bigger than Jesus/Taylor Swift incident)

2.) Beatles stopped touring/Kanye Went into hiding in Hawaii & both were pretty quiet leading many to think both were past their peaks/done until Good Friday releases/strawberry feilds/penny lane single

3.) Unanimous praise from critics, fans, contemporary artists & quickly considered one of the greatest albums ever

4.) Lots of emphasis on grand/ambitious production

5.) Though neither were the first great album in their generes, many consider them to be the ultimate defining statement.

I like em both well enough, but neither are in my top 50, or probably 100 & I think both artists delivered better albums. I can't say the same of Pauls Boutique, personally.

19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

or 3 Feet High And Rising by De La

misterbozz, Zomvid, moople72 and 2 others like this.
  20. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I think "Paul's Boutique" is more like "Pet Sounds". Soft sales on release, in the pantheon years later.

crispi, ModernDayWarrior and uzn007 like this.
  21. uzn007

And 3 Feet High and Rising would be like the debut album of some band you never heard of before who blew everyone away in 1967... Jimi Hendrix Experience, maybe? There's probably a more obvious choice that I'm not thinking of. Anyway, thread is drifting...

daveidmarx and mschrist like this.
  22. englishbob

Get your money ready then, as I'll assume it's going to be locked behind the Tidal paywall

If I recall correctly Pablo was around £19 to download.

Pablo was the greatest album of all time, of all time, so what's this one going to be?

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Honestly, I hate hip hop. Never listen to it. Maybe 1% of the time to keep up. But I started calling "The Life of Pablo" the Sgt. Pepper of hip hop after falling in love with that Kanye West album while auditioning a pair of Epicures. That's a pretty inventive album. Downright brilliant at times. It came out at the same time as the Miley Cyrus album written by the Flaming Lips and those were both killer albums, even for a moptop. And, if I'm not mistaken, "The Life of Pablo" was never officially released?

24. inaptitude

If we want to go down the Beatles comparison route, I actually consider Pablo more akin to the White Album. Both have some of their best, most developed songs, interspersed with more off the cuff and experimental stuff. I consider Graduation more like Sgt. Pepper as it really kind of pushed his sound into a different area than the previous albums. If we allow solo album comparisons, I guess Yeezus could be his Plastic Ono Band album.

jfeldt and uzn007 like this.
  25. Mr. Grieves

Graduation foreshadowed Fantasy like Revolver did Peppers. So I see it as his Revolver, plus it was an album where the production really progressed for the first time, also like Revolver lol

inaptitude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.