Karen Carpenter gone 35 years tomorrow - I feel old

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

bob60, ccbarr, John Adam and 2 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just got the audiophile release of Carpenters Singles 1969-1973 this past week.

How wonderful was that voice. Could have been the best pop voice ever.

3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm more of a rock n roll guy but goddam she had a voice. Tragic what happened to her.

longdist01, Jayseph, ccbarr and 3 others like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not really my kind of music, but she was a great talent. She suffered for too long and was gone too soon. RIP.

5. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I still remember my sister calling that day telling me that Karen Carpenter was dead. I couldn't believe it. Such a loss at such an early age....
    Little did I know then about eating disorders and how tragic they often end.
    Anyway in my life the Carpenters' music has always been around and always will be.

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I remember my mother coming into my room to tell me Karen (her favourite singer) had died. It would be just after 10pm that night (I’m in the UK). I was shocked, even though by then Karen’s anorexia was often spoken about in the press. I didn’t realise people could die from it.

It certainly doesn’t seem like 35 years ago. It’s quite fresh in some ways. I’m sad to think of all the things Karen missed. I’d seen recent-ish interviews where, although she was clearly very ill, she still had big plans for her life and career. A few months after she died, Richard, when asked if he thought there’d be another singer like Karen out there someday, said he doubted it. He was right.

7. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

She's been dead now longer than she lived. That is even scarier!
    Plus it's rather sad that a singer as natural and as beautiful as Karen Carpenter has become the poster-girl for anorexia nervosa.
    I just hope it's scared some people enough to get help.

8. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Karen's death was the first I recall hearing of anorexia nervosa. But in the UK people who were fans of one-time child star Lena Zavaroni had heard of it several years earlier, as Lena developed it as a teenager in the late 1970s.

And for me personally....my dad was dying of cancer at the same time Karen died. In fact part of the last conversation I had with him was me telling him she'd died. He was shocked to say the least....and was gone himself late that evening.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Makes me sad-eating disorders are no joke. I had one and wouldn't wish it on anybody.

10. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Sad... I've got a really nice Best of, actually two versions, and it's hard not to get a bit choked up during some of those songs. Was a closet fan in the 70's when I was in my teens, but doesn't she just have the perfect voice.

jeffd7030, BeatleStair and ccbarr like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't feel old ( yet ) but is a reminder of how fast 35 years goes by.

longdist01, BeatleStair and ccbarr like this.
  12. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I got into the Carpenters music recently through a member on this forum. I had always thought they were muzak fluff, but man was I wrong. Karen's vocals are so smooth, and it always feels like she's singing right to me, what a talent. She seemed like such a kind soul, such a shame she had to live in such agony. Her music will live on, and she will never be forgotten.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and thankfully we have a her beautiful amazing voice that will live on...a tragedy beyond words...

longdist01 and ccbarr like this.
  14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

I have recently re-connected with Carpenters music .... it sends me straight back to my early 70s childhood, and the sad songs get the tears flowing for real ....

And then there's "Calling Occupants Of Interstellar Craft" .... my god, what a mind-blowing masterpiece ! Makes me expect the clouds to part and the mothership to reveal itself .... awesome...... Karen, 'We are your friends' indeed.

Luxury_Liner likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wish every insecure kid with a mental eating disorder, could look at themselves in a mirror, and instead of seeing they need to lose weight, would really see themselves, and what they're doing right.

Ya know, it took me years of insecurity to be able to look at myself, smile, and like what I'm looking at.

Even odder, that I'm not all that great looking now-!

But I can focus on that smiling face looking back at me, and not see fear, or worry, or inferiority, and - dare I say it - have a nice day. I can't wait to see who looks back at me in the mirror tomorrow!

Karen's issues started me thinking like that in the first place.

And here I was grateful, just to hear her sing.

Hey Vinyl Man and BeatleStair like this.
  16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Best female singing voice that I have ever heard. :righton:

musicfan37 and BeatleStair like this.
  17. Michael

SAD...it all could have been avoided...she straightened out too late. : (

longdist01 and BeatleStair like this.
  18. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

This is a beauty:

Nightfly68 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

That’s a great song. Underrated too.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I don’t think she did ‘straighten out’ did she? At the end she’d gained some weight but only because she’d been force fed in hospital. The last pictures I saw of her from about 3 weeks before she died showed her looking very ill.

21. Michael

supposedly she was making a concerted effort...

22. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I just saw a TV report about her life and it appears her brother and mother had such controlling personalities she couldn't breath.
    Her brother especially didn't want to loose his meal ticket.He would say we love Karen, we this and that, never I love, which made
    it the family, ie her against her mother, much like Brian Wilson dealing with his Dad. She needed a friend, he brother didn't get it.
    Such a sad and unhappy life for someone with so much talent and love to sing. I was never a fan the likes that bought her music
    but I always thought she was a wonderful singer with a voice that was one in a generation. I think she could have been a very big
    star, the kind that lasts for decades. It's a very sad story, I recommend the documentary to anyone that's a fan of her work.

23. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.