Kate Bush: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In light of her return to the stage after 35(!!!) years, how about a forum album-by-album thread, kicking off with The Kick Inside?

2. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

how bout a petition to get her to release them in 5.1 surround to tie in with all the buzz. i have been having wet dreams thinking of THE DREAMING in 5.1 for a long long long long long

scobb, gd0, carrick doone and 5 others like this.
  3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Kick Inside contains my favorite Kate Bush recording, Wuthering Heights. This is the album that got me into her style of music as soon as I picked up the CD used at my local Goodwill.

DHamilton likes this.
  4. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

"The Kick Inside" was a gorgeous, sensual sounding album. Like melted chocolate for the ears... Though that would be messy. For an artist so young to create such a work still stands up as an impressive achievement.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Kick Inside (1978)

Moving
    The Saxophone Song
    Strange Phenomena
    Kite
    The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    Wuthering Heights
    James And The Cold Gun
    Feel It
    Oh To Be In Love
    L'Amour Looks Something Like You
    Them Heavy People
    Room For The Life
    The Kick Inside

kate-bush-tki-01.jpg kate-bush-tki-02.jpg kate-bush-tki-03.jpg kate-bush-tki-04.jpg

Ortofun, Izozeles, One Louder and 6 others like this.
  6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I bought this as a promo "not for sale" copy when it was brand new. Scott Muni things from England show was playing it out the gate and I have been right there ever since. Quite a remarkable and unique debut. Certainly in the top five, maybe at five though. Love it but she climbed the hill oh so higher

I dislike all the album covers too

bleachershane likes this.
  7. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

This or Never for Ever as her best. Lionheart has improved for me over the years. Don't care for Hounds as much as most Kate fans. 50WFS I find mesmerising and it's number three or four for me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  8. sunspot42

I think the kite cover is quite lovely. Can't say I care for the other cheesecake shots.

After Hounds this is probably my favorite Kate record, swooping vocals and fretless bass and all. Just brilliant songwriting and off-kilter, inspired performances - even more impressive when you consider she was a teen when she penned and recorded much if not most of it. Love its warm organic sound - it's easily the most pleasant listen of her catalog. Not sonically flawless, but always comfortable. Would love to see a proper remaster.

I don't think the UK music industry produced another young woman as inspiringly brilliant until Amy Winehouse came along a quarter century or so later.

PH416156 likes this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I wasn't convinced about it initially. Wuthering Heights sounded like prog, something that punk spent the last year trying to get rid of, and the voice was hard to take. I also remember a scathing one star review in Sounds magazine, but I changed my mind when I heard The Man With The Child In His Eyes. I thought it was a masterpiece, and on the strength of it got the album. I don't think it's a classic by any means; she's still finding her way, and she shows a lot of potential, but it mostly works. The title track has always been a favourite of mine, and I wouldn't mind hearing it live in the upcoming concerts. The cover has always struck me as being misguided. It has a Japanese theme which is totally absent from the music. I never could understand the reason for it, especially since the rest of her album covers are a pretty good representation of the music within.

10. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Regarding the album sleeve: "I look at eye-level, it isn't good enough" ~ Kite

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I love this Promo film for Kick Inside;

the sands and Thurenity like this.
  12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

In 1978, while a lot of the lyrical content was lost on my 13 year old self, the sensuality couldn't help but seep through. There are two vocal moments that to this day induce chills and take me back to those precious early days when music first started to mean something. As one of the first two LPs I owned (the other being Lionheart), it will always be held dear. Joined the fan club, caught the Tour of Life in London (not bad as first gigs go, thanks Dad!) and remain a fan to this day.

KBTKI.jpg

Besides the alternate album cover, Japan went with Moving as the first single with a slightly edited Wuthering Heights on the b-side.
    The Man With The Child In His Eyes was similarly relegated to b-side status, the studio version of Them Heavy People taking the A.

hamholio, Izozeles, jsayers and 7 others like this.
  13. sunspot42

Who were the obvious influences on The Kick Inside? Both early Joni Mitchell as well as Hejira-era Joni seem like influences - the chords, the singing, the bass - and per-Kate both Bowie and Elton were huge influences. Any others? I confess to being rusty on my Kate trivia, although I had a couple of books on her back in the day, long ago stolen =(

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nice idea...unfortunately the "Sonic Youth album by album"-thread occupies me but I might chime in;)

"Kick Inside"...not my favourite album of hers but I like it a lot, it has a charming naive sound. And she's REALLY creative with all these sexual metaphors...wow!

I must have been pulling out myriads of UK pressings in shops, record shows and fleamarkets until I found an excellent first pressing in a bargain bin last year. I've also got the first Japanese pressing because I like the artwork. Understandably KT wasn't amused when EMI used that very photo on London buses for promotion....

bleachershane likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

The latest bio - "Under The Ivy" by Graeme Thomson - is an excellent read. Also it did apparently infuriate Del Palmer;)

16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

What was the reason for the different album covers? It's the only album, to my knowledge, which has alternates.

floyd likes this.
  17. Ray W

Ray W Forum Resident

'The Dreaming' is the album that does it for me. The songs are not necessarily the best she has written, but it has a consistency and an edge about it; it's a really rounded piece of work.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

IIRC, the Japanese "Never for ever" has a slightly different cover

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oh, back to "The kick inside", I fully endorse this post and it could have been written by me

for me, a 5/5 album: not a bad song on it and flawless from beginning to end; love its timeless, dreamy fairytale atmosphere. The leading single is one of my earliest memories as a radio listener and of course, when I was able to listen to the full album, I was blown away.

I'd like to point out that, in addition to his work with his band, the "much thanks and love to Dave Gilmour for rolling the ball in he beginning" quote written on the album should remind us why we should be grateful forever to Mr. Gilmour for what he did.
    :targettiphat:

20. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

How did it infuriate Del Palmer?

21. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I wonder if Dave Gilmour gets "points" on this or any of her other albums. Often the A&R person, who "signs" an artist to a label and he was basically influential in this would get a couple of "points" meaning they'd make a few cents with every purchase.

I wonder if he's been getting a tiny taste of her mighty album sales income on this 1st album, or catalog.

22. Neonbeam

He didn't like the idea of a thoroughly researched book on Kate and started writing anonymous posts to the author where he was raging against the project. Google it;)

dartira likes this.
  23. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

I bought the album after seeing the promo "Wuthering Heights" clip on TV. I loved it then and my wife and I still do. I think it has an unusual mix in that although I like the sound quality generally, it seems that the vocal tracks are slightly out of kilter with the rest of the music in terms of appearing slightly detached from the rest of the mix. Maybe its just Kate's unusual range?

Probably still my favourite Kate Bush record with "Never for Ever" next then "Lionheart" third.

24. blackholesun

blackholesun peace among worlds

The whole album is superb. Plus, it has James And The Cold Gun, one of my favourite Kate songs. I just never get bored with it. There is a great live version of this song on the "On Stage" EP.

Razzle123 likes this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Kick Inside was a remarkable debut and sounded like nothing else before it probably because of Kate's voice and how she layered the vocals. Withering Heights gave me chills when I first heard it. There was an eerie, almost spooky vibe to some of the songs, I wondered if Kate was a witch or a ?wican or whatever they call it - so many of the songs deal with nature and the female sexual and reproductive cycle.

I love the adolescent immature Kate voice - I think it was Rolling Stone that described it as Minnie Mouse on helium. It's so out there but totally unique and unearthly sounding - definitely adds to the effect of the songs.

carrick doone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.