Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

There was never any doubt this was going to be filmed, whether it gets released is another thing.

2. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

That's great news. That's the night I'm there!

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The vibe is utterly different from any rock concert I've ever been to (and I've been to hundreds). The audience was excited as any I've been a part of, but they were also wonderfully respectful. It seems every was fully cognizant of the fact that they were there to be witness to a rare and wonderful thing, and nobody wanted to risk missing it. I pointed out to a friend that a Kate Bush show is a thing that happens roughly twice as often as Haley's Comet.

supernaut, Paul H and sunspot42 like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

And Kate is more spectacular of course.

blackholesun likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Well, the smile she had on her face as she walked out on the stage was much brighter.

6. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Writing about a Kate Bush concert must be like trying to describe seeing a parade of unicorns… so unique and unexpected that you don’t quite know what to make of it all.

Even as a relatively late-coming convert to the cult of Kate, it was a wait of at least five years, six months from booking the tickets to show day, three weeks of diligently avoiding any spoilers, and two hours inside the Apollo before I at last got to lay eyes on the blessed Catherine. Three hours, twenty five songs, seven backing musicians fifteen odd dancers, a journey to the to the middle of the ocean and into the soul of a blackbird later, I walked out into crisp late summers night in Hammersmith knowing that I’ll never see anything like that from a music concert again. It’s still hard to comprehend the experience, so here are a few collected observations from my inexpert point of view…

Was surprised that the first few songs were presented in pretty much a conventional way for a live music show, but then the theatrics kicked in at the end of ‘King Of the Mountain’ and…. wow – a multi-sensory experience like I’ve never had before.

The overall production bought the ‘Ninth Wave’ and ‘Sea of Honey’ suites alive like I’m sure Kate always intended. The blend between the action on the screens and on stage was the best I’ve ever seen and the pacing from the opening songs through to the two theatrical suites to the encore was very well done. I like the way they added extra music and dialogue to both suites, which actually helped them make much more narrative sense than they did on the albums, and the interlude in the shipwrecked living room was hilarious.

The sound was the best I’ve ever heard in that venue. The mix blended the voices and the different instruments well without any one section being overpowered by another or by the reverb of the room. I felt that there were some very strong performances by Omar on drums throughout (the programme notes are right – the drums DO drive the show), and by the bass man on the quitter bits of ‘Sky of Honey’. I also felt that the wandering minstrel staging and arrangement of ‘The Morning Fog’ and ‘Sunset’ were highlights.

I reckon young Bertie might have a good career ahead of him on the stage. A very convincing performance by him as The Painter (just as well that Rolf Harris isn’t available to reprise his role…)

As for Kate…she still seems genuinely chuffed that at the ecstatic response of the audience, even after all these shows. Her voice was clear, full and strong, which lent a new maturity and gravitas even to her more recent songs. Sure, she doesn’t move around like she did at age 20 (who does?!), but she commanded our attention masterfully throughout (although perhaps there was a bit too much empty space on stage for the first few songs. Interesting that her stage outfit has a definite Bollywood influence…

The setlist was identical to that posted here for the first night. Obviously most of the show is so choreographed that most of the set must stay fixed. But, I suppose they could change up the opening and the encore some nights.

Much respect to the crowd for honouring Kate’s request not to take pictures and for turning their damn phones off! You could just sense that everyone was as entranced by the show as I was.

My view from riiiiiiiiight at the back of the circle was surprisingly decent (it was that or one of the super expensive tickets up front. As much as I love Kate’s work, I don’t love it that much, so as far as I was concerned the promoters could stick their £400 hospitality packages-with-a-luxury-picnic-hamper-including-half-a-bottle-of-wine-and-a-spatchcokced-chicken up their ****). What I would say though, is that with the elevated perspective on the stage, the sets and the staging look a lot smaller – and dare I say cheaper - then I’d imagine they do from the stalls up front. Looks like you’ll have to pay that much extra for the true spectacle that you can see from some of the pics in this thread.

Speaking from a strictly personal point of view, I’d have liked to have heard a couple more songs from the earlier albums. The absolute crowning glory would for me would have been ‘The Man With The Child In His Eyes’, which is the song that made me fall in love with that woman’s work.

Yes, I know, I’m ‘that guy’ who is grousing because they didn’t play his favourite songs. Bearing in mind that Kate’s voice is now significantly deeper than it was the seventies and early eighties, those earlier songs might have required some serious re-arranging. Sure, it would have been cool to hear, for example, interesting new versions of for example, songs from The Dreaming album, or something like the steel pans version of Wuthering Heights that was supposed to have been played in rehearsal. But I suppose that Kate, the band and the crew have their hands full with getting staging just perfect, which may not leave much time for rehearsing loads of different songs.

And… in case it’s useful for anyone going to a future show….

Photo IDs WERE being checked, so be prepared.

If you are looking for a last minute ticket, you can try your luck in the 'standby' queue at the front of the venue - which I guess sells any seats that have become free due to no shows or late returns. As per usual, there were a few shady guys touting tickets outside as well (don't ask me how you'd get round the ID requirement with one of those...)

Food and drink inside the Apollo is limited to a fairly small selection of overpriced snacks (similar to what you’d find in a cinema), drinks and booze. Much better to fill up at one of the many fine catering establishments in Hammersmith.

Some of merchandise, like the programme and the posters, looks to be really well made, high quality stuff, and the shirts are beautiful too. No wonder the stalls were doing a roaring trade - I saw people spending hundreds of pounds. The show could have made a profit from merch sales alone!

I hope for the sake of her legions of admirers around the world that this inspires her to do many more great works. Come on Kate, don’t make us wait another 35 years to show us again what’s up your delightful baggy sleeves!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    APH, scobb, NorthNY Mark and 7 others like this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

blind_melon1, theMess and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Hi Five

Hi Five Forum Resident

Hi.

I am seeing Kate in two days time. OMG I can't believe it!

I have a few questions to ask you good people about the gig.

Firstly how big are the queues to get in? Do you need to get there in plenty of time? The show starts at 7:45pm. What time would be a good time to get down?

Secondly, I am wondering about the sound and how loud it is? I have tinnitus and have to wear musical ear plugs that reduce the noise. If the sound level is not excessive then I could get away with wearing the lowest attenuation setting (which would result in better sound).

Thirdly, I take it there is an intermission with it being such a long show?

Lastly, I am after a tour t-shirt. How much are they?

I think I am going to cry on Tuesday night, its going to be emotional - maybe I should take some kleenex!

Man I am getting excited now!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. Chris DeVoe

Lots of people get there plenty early, so I don't think the queue was ever bigger than 150 people either day we were outside. The ones to buy merch were a LOT bigger. If you're not looking to buy either, don't worry too much. I would suggest visiting The Swan pub at the other end of the Hammersmith tube station and going to the back room. It is filled with Kate fans before and after each show - they're staying open until midnight on show nights.

We were in the 6th row, and it was never too loud. It's a state of the art system, very well tuned to the room, everyone in the band is on in-ears, so the system has no reason to be any louder than needed. I hope you're comfortable.

20 minutes.

25 pounds.

Good idea.

TSmithPage, Hi Five and Paul H like this.
  10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Maybe. I thought that Tawny Moon added to the narrative of 'Sky of Honey', and I loved he effect where the painter was splashing stars across the screen.

Oh alright then, yes I'd have rather have had something like 'Pull Out The Pin'

Lots of free advertising from the BBC and press must have helped. As did the offer of £4.99 per album on iTunes. And it was Bank Holiday week, traditionally the slowest week for music sales every year in the UK. Still, to have an entire catalogue in the top 50 can only be called a marketing triumph.

Ah-hah. That might explain her sudden return. I've also heard that, allegedly, she has been having some interesting conversations with the taxman (Cano't remember the source, so it might just well be internet BS).

You never know, she might be persuaded to take her show elsewhere by a wily promoter bearing sackfulls of cash. Especially if she needs to fish one of her houses out of the sea...

Touche! I swear to god that most of the metro is written by a work experience kid cutting and pasting **** off the internet. That 'story' was based on one, probably jokey tweet.

The crowd last night seemed more than happy to go with Kate's artistic vision, or whatever you want to call it. Although it is true to say that a lot of rock crowds do turn up with the attitude of 'here we are now, entertain us', and don't want to be challenged by anything unusual or daring.

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As I was leaving the venue last Saturday a guy walking behind me was complaining about this very thing, and it had to be pointed out to him that the song was sung by Kate's Son, he had no idea!

He still didn't like it though!

theMess likes this.
  12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Listening to a recording of the show, my original opinion of Tawny Moon hasn't changed, it's still terrible. It's the only downside on an otherwise excellent show.

13. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I've heard a couple of shows now, and I didn't like it either. The song itself, isn't bad, but Bertie just can't seem to carry it. I won't judge it too harshly, as I only have the audio to go by. Without the visual element I probably don't have (sorry) the whole story.

14. Hi Five

Hi Five Forum Resident

I appreciate all that. Thanks!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Glad to help. My wife Vickie, whose Hoffman handle is Equipoise, posts a lot on Martin's Kate Bush Facebook Meetup Group. Its a good place to join before your trip.

As for people complaining about Bertie's song - if a tiny amount of motherly indulgence is the price for realizing a life-long dream, I for one, am willing to pay it.

16. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

have heard no recordings of show but seems a pile on of bertie. people endured far more with yoko and it was on disc too.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Absolutely. According to Kate these shows would not be happening if it were not for his help and encouragment, so give him his moment in the spotlight and let's applaud him.

Cloudbuster likes this.
  18. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I'm not bashing Bertie. I just thought he couldn't carry the song, but only having heard the audio from a show which is not just a concert, I withheld any further judgment. I do realize he's only 16 and suddenly deeply involved in a major production with the weight of his mother's legacy behind it. His spoken bit at the beginning of "Watching You Without Me" was fine, and I love the recording of "Snowflake". Sadly, his voice changed since then.
    Believe me, I'm grateful to him for getting his mother back on stage, but it's not like the lad has no future if he can't make a go of this.

19. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Fopp are advertising a new compilation due for release on November 10th.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  20. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I'm sorry but was this completely gratuitous and irrelevant comment really necessary?

It turns out I will be seeing Yoko discussing her new Genesis Publications book in London next Monday, the night before I see Kate perform. Ask me how happy I am to see two artists for whom I've had undying respect for decades up close within a 24-hour timeframe (and who have produced bodies of work of far more lasting value than many of the musicians discussed on these boards in my opinion): the answer is pretty darn (edited for family friendliness) happy.

Plenty of threads on here "appropriate" for that sort of remark. This *wasn't* one of them.

Meanwhile, the Eventim listings for the show is now down to one page - it will all be over too soon. :cry:

*Great* news: a 2-disc set I hope!

D.B. likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

As I said earlier in the thread, I personally know a dozen or more better 16 year old singers - but not one of them came from Kate Bush's womb. I'll give him a pass, especially as he was the principal person responsible for Kate doing these shows in the first place.

theMess, marblesmike and skyjelly like this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just arranged for my ticket to the 9/27 show! A group of 4 had someone drop out so I'll be taking the spare!

CANNOT wait. As an added bonus I found out one of my favorite bands, Anathema, a band that rarely tours the US, is playing in London on 9/26 so I'll be catching two concerts during my weekend trip to London in a couple weeks.

Have I mentioned how excited I am!?!

And again, not to derail this thread too much, but are there any recommendations for best vinyl version of The Dreaming? Without an AF remaster it doesn't seem that there any clear-cut winners.

23. Chris DeVoe

Wonderful!

I hope you enjoy the show. It really was an amazing experience for my wife and myself.

imarcq likes this.
  24. Els opinions

Els opinions Forum Resident

Went to the first night. Amazing and infuriating!

Back down for tomorrow, Tuesdays, show

Can't wait lol

imarcq likes this.
  25. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

just wanted to explain and apologize if i insulted one of your fav's. i respect yoko as an artist. even own the onobox set. but when her work is amended to a john lennon regular release which at very least breaks the flow. that was the comparison of bertie singing (from reports on the board) out of his league and breaking the flow of the show. like chick corea putting a gale moran folk song in the middle of one of his fusion releases maybe. anyway hope i didn't bum out your two once in a life-time upcoming meetings. i envy you on both of them.

D.B. and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.