Kef 104-2 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audioloco1946, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audioloco1946

Audioloco1946 New Member Thread Starter

I have the ability to to restore any speaker system. I' a tech. I repair any audio equipment.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Audioloco1946

Yes in deed. Very good and excellent customer service.

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes they do and no other manufacturer was able to recreate its special soundstage at least for the same price.

4. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Glad to hear you were able to restore them. I was fortunate to buy a fully-restored pair as I do not have the technical skills (or patience) as you...paid quite a bit more and am extremely happy with them. The crossovers have been rebuilt, new donuts, new tweeters, etc., and the rosewood cabinets and grills were in NM condition. They just seem to do everything right: from top to bottom they sound well balanced. I do not have the Kube, but in my room they have more than enough bass output for me. I also put them on Herbie's Big Fat Dots (instead of spikes...I have laminate floors over concrete) and it really helped to clean up and focus everything. I keep thinking about upgrading them, but with every tweak or upgrade I make to my system, they just sound better and better. I'm sure there are many modern speakers that would outperform them, but I haven't had the opportunity to try many. Best of luck to you; I hope you get as much enjoyment from your's as I do mine!

For those of you with the 104/2, if you did decide to upgrade (or have upgraded), what would/did you choose? Just curious? Cheers!

5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Magneplanar MG1.6. Next step could be Harbeth HL5plus.

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I paid $300 for a nonrestored pair in pretty good condition.The donut foams have begun to crumble.Like I said they are really good speakers but about three hundred seems to be the going rate for a original pair needing work.

7. ronm

ronm audiofreak

At least thats what I remember two years ago when I bought mine.Vintage rates are going up.People are paying $500+ for those Pioneer CS speakers and HPM from the 70s which to me is crazy because I don't think they sound that good.

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Somewhere along the way I bought a pair of Focal 706Vs. Great speakers. They sounded so good I thought I'd try a pair of Focal 826Vs. Great speakers.

But my main preference is still the Kefs. Enjoy them every day all day. :)

stay crunchy likes this.
  10. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Funny you bring that up. I too have a pair of Focals: the 714Vs...great speakers. They a more crisp and...detailed?...than the KEFs. I switched them out with the KEFs not long ago to see how well they would perform with some changes I made. Sounded great for being much smaller, but the highs were a bit bright for me. Moved them all over the room, but they just seemed to be missing something (it wasn't bass). Within a few days, the KEFs were back and everything just sounded "right" again. I've considered moving up to the Arias, but there's a lot of other choices out there as well. For the time being, my wallet and I are content with the 104.2s.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Audioloco1946

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.