KEF LS50's on sale for $899 a pair..... anyone tempted?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

If you liked these at $1299, some out there have to love them at $899! I must admit, I have always wanted to hear what all the fuss is about with these speaks, and tempted by this sale.

Also often wondered how these would compare to the likes of some of the more economical bookshelf options -- like the $200 NHT 2.1's for example. Anyone ever heard / auditioned these side by side? I almost pulled the trigger on the 2.1's a few times, just from some of the endorsements alone here on this forum.... have read a lot of very positive feedback on the 2.1's....... but of course like everything, it's all relative.

SandAndGlass and bluemooze like this.
  2. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Just purchased a pair to serve as a sound bar substitute. Breaking them in with a McIntosh C22/MC 275VI. They sound wonderful. In small to average rooms you simply cannot go wrong at anywhere near that price. You can’t listen to and compare everything so to my mind these are as close to a safe bet as it gets. Brilliant.

3. TheVinylAddict

Very cool, congrats!

Agreed - can't compare everything - but just out of curiosity, DID you compare these to anything else, or what was your point of reference or what did you upgrade from??

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've owned the LS50s and still have a pair of NHT Superzero 2.1s. I never did a direct comparison between them, but I'm sure I would've preferred the LS50s if I had. The Superone 2.1s, which I'm sure you're referring to would be a more fair comparison. The Superones are $194 on Amazon with free shipping for Prime. That is one tempting deal.

I suggest you get both and let us know.;):D

WapatoWolf likes this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve had a pair for two years and can’t be happier with them. I recently demoed and purchased the related 8 inch cube, which takes them up another level.

6. TheVinylAddict

Yes, the Superone's are the model I was referring to....... thanks for clarifying.

As for the comparison, no way a $200 speaker can compete with a $1300 speaker......... I mean, right? In audio, if you pay more don't you always get more???
    You know me too well :) that very well could happen!

timind likes this.
  7. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I imagine they're pretty hard to beat at $899. Wonderful speakers.

8. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

I believe that original list price for these was $1499.99. $899.00 is larceny.

timind likes this.
  9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Amazon may be selling the NHT SuperOnes for $200.00/pair, but they normally retail for $350.00/pair (both the original version from the 90s and the revived versions).

If you add a quality sub to the NHTs, I think you may be surprised at how much fun you can have with an inexpensive, but good sounding, system.

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I'm very interested as I now live full-time in a apartment and am looking to reduce space. How much bass is one sacrificing with these things?

I've been using floor-standing Energy e:xl 25s but the room is only 12.5 feet wide (by 29), with the speakers facing the opposite short wall, about a foot out from the wall.

The KEFs are supposed to be among the best of their size in the under-$2000 market, but I haven't used bookshelf speakers in a couple of decades. Will they sound better, worse, or just different than my Energy 25s? I do need to get rid of the floorstanders in any event and am in the market for smaller speakers.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Who? :)

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

Most anywhere they are sold, including KEF direct!

LS50 Mini Monitor Speaker Pair | KEF Direct

https://www.amazon.com/KEF-LS50-Mini-Monitor-Gloss/dp/B00EPDMDZ8

KEF LS50 (High Gloss Piano Black) Bookshelf speakers at Crutchfield

13. TheVinylAddict

Haha, yeah, I guess if I were one who paid $1299 for them (or $1499 as they were originally) --- maybe I wouldn't LOVE them at $899. On the flipside I'd probably be a little PO'd :)

But if I were looking / thinking of buying them and thought I liked them at $1299---- THEN I would LOVE them at $899!

14. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Omg...it lives! :yikes:

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Whoops, I blew that to pieces. :oops:

What I meant was "Who is selling the speakers for that price?" I didn't carefully read what I quoted. Sorry about that. :)

16. TheVinylAddict

Ha! Reports of my demise were grossly exaggerated!

Hope all is well old friend!! (heading out the door for a couple of hours, so if you reply I won't see it for a while! )

17. TheVinylAddict

Ah. No worries. I think I answered that above with the links though................

bluemooze likes this.
  18. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

The SuperOne is rated down to 56 Hz, the KEF down to 47 Hz. I imagine the LS50s would have more dynamic capability. I do get enough bass with my NHTs in my tv system.

19. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

:DBeen there. Done that. Looking at R11’s now :D

20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I can't speak to the KEFs as I've never seen them in person and only heard them through YT and playing through my speakers. That said, I am so happy with the NHT SuperOne 2.1's that I haven't really looked at any other small speakers the past few years.

21. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Has anybody compared these KEFs with the Harbeth P3ESR?

22. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I paid $1200 for mine.... Tempted to get another pair for surround speakers at this price....

bru87tr and TheVinylAddict like this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

i thought the bass that they did have was good and they played lower than I expected given their size, but I don't think I could live with LS50's long term without a sub...at least not for the music I listen to.

24. TheVinylAddict

Or how about compare with the Monitor Gold 100?

The Harbeth is one nice speaker, something tells me that the Harbeth would win that side by side, but not by a landslide.............. but that is just MHO basedon reputation / feedback I have heard on the Harbeths. I haven't had the pleasure to critically listen side by side.

This comment from Atkinson at Stereophile in 2010 resonates with me: "I love the Harbeth P3ESR. I think it's the best iteration yet from any manufacturer of the BBC LS3/5A minimonitor concept." In a world where audio reviews have a lot of flowery, hyperbolic statements, that is a statement that I believe the author was being concise, truthful and meant exactly what they said.

Harbeth makes great speakers. So does KEF. A side by side would be fun to do.

25. TheVinylAddict

I've read your thoughts a few times on the SuperOnes in other threads........ probably safe to conclude you really like the value / performance of this speaker!!! That's cool, contentment is so hard to find in this hobby.

I also have read a lot of great feedback from Warren J on the NHT's..... he is one who has sampled speakers at all price points, and to endorse NHT as strongly as he does is a great testament and says something...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.