Keith and Zappa??!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John DeAngelis, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

Keith, of "98.6" fame says in the link that Steve H. posted:

"The 70's were awesome!!! My family and I moved to Southern California as I was recruited to sing lead for Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. What a great man and what a great time for me !!! I did that until the mid 70's where at this point I spent most of my time writing and performing locally and at the same time helping to raise a family."

Oh, really?! I've got every FZ album, and there's no Keith there. And for several years in the early seventies, FZ didn't tour because of his getting thrown off a stage in England.
    And I saw FZ regularly before and after the accident. Which leads me to believe that
    Mr. Keefer is telling a fib!

JD

2. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

3. John DeAngelis

Markus sez:
    "He was signed on Zappa's Discreet label for a single, though. Maybe he did some uncredited work for Zappa, who knows."

Didn't know about the Discreet single. I suspect, however, that we have a serious case of resume padding here!

Thanks,
    JD

4. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

No, no resume padding. Keith, aka James Barry Keefer, aka Bazza Keefer, performed with Zappa and band on a few occasions, but never recorded with them.

5. John DeAngelis

Father MacKenzie opines:
    No, no resume padding. Keith, aka James Barry Keefer, aka Bazza Keefer, performed with Zappa and band on a few occasions, but never recorded with them

Hi FM!
    When I say "resume padding, I mean that he takes a few appearances with FZ and makes it sound like he was with him the whole first half of the 1970s.
    Cheers!
    JD

6. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think so. Considering Zappa's style of recording and performing, Frank may just have had Keith hang around for a few years, kept him on a retainer of some sort and used him as he saw fit.

Frank did this with a lot of musicians depending on his own picadillos and cash flow. By picadillos, I mean Frank may have had some plans for Keith, but for various reasons, they didn't work out. I'm assuming here, but I bet Frank saw the usual combination of seriousness and comic potential in using someone like Keith.

I knew Alan Zavod fairly well and he addressed these kind of arrangements with me.

7. John DeAngelis

Father Mackenzie explained:

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think so. Considering Zappa's style of recording and performing, Frank may just have had Keith hang around for a few years, kept him on a retainer of some sort and used him as he saw fit.
    Frank did this with a lot of musicians depending on his own picadillos and cash flow. By picadillos, I mean Frank may have had some plans for Keith, but for various reasons, they didn't work out. I'm assuming here, but I bet Frank saw the usual combination of seriousness and comic potential in using someone like Keith.
    I knew Alan Zavod fairly well and he addressed these kind of arrangements with me

Hi again, FM:
    Thanks for your further comments. This certainly could be the case. Maybe I'm just pessimistic after years of seeing musicians exaggerating their past in interviews.
    I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.