Keith on reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

This is from Monday's Boston Herald (9/2/02)
    It's an entertaining question and answer thing as The Rolling Stones get ready for this week's shows.

Q. What did you think of the recent ABKCO reissues of the early Stones albums?

A. ``I was amazed,'' Richards said. ``When I heard these new mixes and new mastering, I was hearing little things that we put in there that you can't really hear on the originals so they've actually enhanced them. This is amazing stuff because some of that stuff is 40 years old and tape doesn't last forever. But they managed to pull it out and from that point of view I was very impressed by the system, it was another leap in audio excellence.''

(Do you think he really meant to say "new mixes?" or is that just such a commonly misused term these days to describe a reissue. I know that some of this stuff WAS remixed but it hasn't been widely reported.)

Mike

2. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

Let him play guitar, do not follow what he talks ...

Well, he's just Keith Richards. I do not think he knows what he's talking about. I bet he doesn't remember most the stuff he did in the 60s.
    They played some stuff for him and he agreed : It sounds marvelous !!!

He does not care that much . It just sounded better - It's state-of the-art SACD technology after all, newly remastered and with nice packaging.

He just kindly replied to the answer. Maybe he would even admit he likes Klein after all these years. Just PR blah blah.

Isn't it so ?!?!?!?

Tomek

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Nah, Keith KNOWS. I would think that one of the things he listened to would be the hit packages (like Hot Rocks or Hits/Darkly) and he heard a new mix.

It may not be as widly reported, but them's new mixes on the disc(s). Interesting stuff....

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The only context for "new mixes" that they have owned up to is the use of different mixes (stereo/mono, "corrected", etc.) on a some tracks, not the creation of any new mixes from multi-tracks. In that sense, some mixes are "new" to CD. I would not read too much into it.

Then there's the "different" stereo mixes of "Satisfaction" and "Ruby Tuesday" :sigh:

edited for spelling
    Regards,

5. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Well put, Ken!

But I wonder: in the case of "Satisfaction," this is a stereo remix that has been issued and known before. But in the case of "Ruby Tuesday," it doesn't seem likely that in looking at a bunch of reels (all presumably marked MASTER) the engineers hit upon a working tape of some kind, that only differed from the final mix in one respect. I do wonder if some remixing wasn't performed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.