Keith Richards disses the Beatles...again

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Nah, I don't have the English vocabulary to explain too much. It would be a mess and take the whole night. Maybe I just used a stupid word. :crazy:

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

Oh God, make it stop.... fifty bloody years of this contrived tribal slap-fight instigated to shift merchandise. Buy both lunchboxes and let... it... go....

D.D.

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Hey....on an old Led Zeppelin board I was on...there were threads about LZ fighting hand-to-hand with other bands...and who'd win ?

Talk about silly stuff !

I think the best matchup for the Beatles vs. The Stones woulda been Ringo tussling with Brian Jones. I think they'd have opted for a round of tiddlywinks.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know what Keith Richards is whining about. After a certain point in the 60s, they became two completely different bands. And, The Beatles broke up in 1971, and his band is still together. Get over it Kefie!

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

He's "whining" about a new book, CD, etc.

Seems to think it's an effective form of advertising, I guess.

Dave Hoos and Grant like this.
  6. Carl Swanson

No worries; generally, we use "bashing" as a term for personal attacks unrelated to an issue. It comes down from practices like "gay-bashing," which refers to actual physical attacks.

7. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

TRISTERO: I'm sure the Beatles didn't care how they were perceived at their break up. ...whether they were quitting while they were on top etc.
    I bet they were just sick of working together and needed to get away.

that's all it takes.

this thread just proves that you can't talk about 60s music without taking the Beatles and Stones together.
    Two sides of the same coin.
    Brothers from diffeent mothers.

they're joined at the hip.

8. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

9. Carl Swanson

Yeah, Jeez, can't you see his heart is breaking??

[​IMG]

theMess, dee and johnaltman like this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Well, talk about interpretation. You have now posted an incredible large number of answers in this thread, and it's only you who goes on and on about that Richards are 'advertising'. He is asked in an interview to give his opinion about The Beatles' function as a live-act and gives a straight answer. There is nothing to 'advertise'. That the magazine then choose to make it a headline is not Keith Richards' fault. He was asked and he gave an answer.

Haven't you guessed it yet? The Beatles are this forums biggest sacred cow. You can't critizise them, unless you want to be bombed with 'definitive answers' from the disicipels...

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Apparently, you are not reading any posts but mine. Lots of people have said the same thing on this thread . . . and on every other thread where KR says something stupid.

12. Greyrat

Greyrat Forum Resident

I still love ya Keith!

13. MHP

“Musically, The Beatles had a lovely sound and great songs. But the live thing? They were never quite there.”

-It's an opinion. Even an appreciation of them.
    You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but if that quote is 'stupid', we have reached new heights in being sensitive.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, nearly 500 posts in five days on this Forum alone - there might be some more coming. The new album and tour announcement are probably a month away. Maybe more Beatles, or Mick or maybe something new like Adele. I think the father's ashes thing only works once.

15. Carl Swanson

It's stupid because it's wrong.

In my sensitive opinion, of course.

16. Carl Swanson

Shoot, let's go for an even thousand!

17. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Zep. Because Peter Grant. And Satan. Sort of the same thing really, though...

D.D.

18. MHP

As I said, we have reached a new high.
    I'm outta here.

19. Carl Swanson

Not because you're "sensitive," of course . . . ;)

20. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

But you're wrong, sir, it is a fact: The Beatles quit and the Rolling Stones carried on decade after decade re-inventing themselves and increasing in popularity: this isn't an opinion, unlike all the stuff you talk about: it is an undisputed fact! You can say the Stones descended into mediocrity until you are blue in the face, but album and ticket sales decade after decade after decade shatter your argument and tell the true story.

bababooey and Fullbug like this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Album and ticket sales do not define virtuosity or talent. You are merely redefining the word "fact" to support your viewpoint. Of course, it is in no way an "undisputed" fact, since we are herein disputing it.

liquidatedher and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

He's stating his opinion. No amount of ticket sales, or popularity can make the Stones later music objectivity good. It is to you, and that's great, but it doesn't mean it's a fact that they did improve. Nothing can shatter an opinion stating they did devolve into mediocrity

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The Beatles split up because they were moving in different directions and they were tired of each other. They wanted to move on to new things. That doesn't make them "quitters" as you derisively put it. Sometimes it takes guts and wisdom to walk away when something has had its day, rather than clinging to your old security blanket. Lots of bands stick together for years and years, milking the brand name for all its worth long after the inspiration has waned, maybe because they're unsure that they can cut it on their own. And you are correct, I offered my opinion about the decline of the Stones in their later years. I suppose I should have included an IMO in there, but it is a pretty widely held view among fans.

Zeki, Dave Hoos, Mr. Grieves and 2 others like this.
  24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Which once again decreases Keith Richards credibility.

25. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Well from what I've heard, Paul McCartney didn't want the Beatles to end and was very depressed for quite a while after the Beatles split, so if this is the case, then the split wasn't a decision on all sides. Also: Lennon stated in 1980 that The Beatles would eventually get back together again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.