Kelly Clarkson-Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ Phoenix, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

She's touring opening for the Fray this summer ? who books these :confused:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Well well well...

If Kelly opens for the Fray in Concord; I'll be getting home a lot sooner than I expected.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I very much enjoyed the Breakaway album. I have zero problems with her music.

5. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

Nice person, very nice looking, good voice, catchy tunes, have little interest in her music (though if she were on a show I was watchiing as it was broadcast I would watch her perform for the looks and the music).

No offense, just not my thing. And those are my thoughts. It goes to show its quite possible to like and respect someone but not enjoy what they produce. Kid Rock is a huge example of that for me. Really great guy (though I don't appreciate his looks like I do Ms. Clarkson's), I am very impressed with him as a person but if I never heard a song of his again I'd be OK (except I want him to be successful).

Often times I read people personally trash artists whose music (or other modes of expression) they don't enjoy. Totally unnecessary IMHO. Two separate things.

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Such an AWFULL bill , makes no sense to me at all , are the Fray even Popular anymore ?

7. zen

zen Senior Member

The Fray are decently big in their own right. But from your quote, you seem pretty sure that Kelly will be the closer on this tour.

Davidmk5, who do you think would be a GOOD bill ?

By the way, Kelly is finally going to Brazil. She's headlining a Brazilian pop festival (with Jennifer Lopez second on the bill) later in June.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

A great concert last night. Kelly's voice was so good, so strong...it was beyond magical.**
    The show was 70+ minutes long and easily could have been longer with all the gems left out of the set list, but she had to share the bill with the Fray and Carolina Liar.

** A term used by fellow pop star Pink to described Clarkson's voice in 2012.

[​IMG]

Below is a review of last night's show:

Kelly Clarkson delights Concord crowd

By Jim Harrington
    Oakland Tribune

Call it a double shot of "American Idol" by the Bay.

Having endured the latest crop of contenders during the American Idols Live! tour stop on Sunday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, fans of the popular TV series had the chance to experience the original model -- "American Idol" champ No. 1, Kelly Clarkson -- on Wednesday at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord.

And the two experiences couldn't have been more different.

While Idols Live! was an uneven, perplexing affair, which left one wondering how the Fox TV show continues to draw high ratings, Clarkson's outing was an absolute joy to behold.

The 30-year-old Texan simply gets better with each passing year. Now 10 years removed from her "Idol" victory, during the inaugural season of the show in 2002, Clarkson boasts an incredibly diverse and appealing songbook as well as the know-how to get the most out of her material.

Yes, without a doubt, voters got it right that first year.

Clarkson's most impressive trait is her ability to connect with the audience. In Concord, she was magnetic, grabbing the crowd's attention with the fun first number ("My Life Would Suck Without You") and only tightening her grasp as she moved through a variety of numbers during her hour-plus set.

Yes, it only lasted a little over an hour, which probably didn't make some fans happy. That's understandable. Yet, the upside to the short set was that it was completely devoid of filler.

Plus, she was able to showcase her many different musical sides in that time frame — and each one seemed to please the fans equally. That's no small accomplishment when you're talking about as diverse a crowd as the one in Concord, which drew fans from six to 60 years old.

Backed by an eight-piece band, which included three female backing vocalists, Clarkson went from "My Life Would Suck Without You" -- a love song for the 21st century, if there ever was one -- right into the rich power ballad "Behind These Hazel Eyes." She'd then follow with two standout track from last year's "Stronger" — "I Forgive You" and "Dark Side" — before jumping into a great cover of "We Are Young" (the smash hit from the band fun., featuring singer Janelle Monae).

And she definitely was having fun on this night. Clarkson was in incredibly good spirits, perhaps because she'd just spent two off-days from the tour exploring Northern California.

"I've been in Napa," said the singer, who was thrilled that her tour itinerary allowed her the time to sample the offerings from the local wineries. "Best job ever!"

The winery jaunt, of course, was only one of many things that have made her occupation so rewarding. Others include singing the national anthem at this year's Super Bowl (which earned her rave reviews), staying active on TV shows (such as "The Voice" and "Duets"), cowriting a song for boy-band One Direction ("Tell Me a Lie") and expanding her fan base to include country music fans.

She accomplished the latter with "Don't You Wanna Stay," a duet with Jason Aldean featured on the mega-popular country star's 2010 album, "My Kinda Party." That song was a highlight of the Concord show, as the soprano crooned her part alongside a giant hologram of Aldean.

Clarkson then took a bit of a gamble -- and it paid off big time. She has a tradition of asking fans, at the meet-and-greets before shows, what song they think she should cover that night. One fan at Concord wanted to hear her do Katy Perry's recent Top 10 hit "Wide Awake," and Clarkson was game. From what I can tell, it was the first time Clarkson had performed the cut and the off-the-cuff rendition was electric. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg-2ptozAg

The show was actually a co-headlining date with the Fray, which, of course, raises one question: In what part of the universe does that moderately interesting piano-rock troupe deserve equal billing with Clarkson? Maybe in the band's native Colorado, but certainly not in Concord, where fans simply endured the Fray's set while waiting for Clarkson to take the stage.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Nice!! from what i have been reading people are either shwoing up late or leaving early to avoid the fray .............. such a weird billing .

She is up here Saturday night & it looka like the Fray goes on last this show , so i may go see kelly & then bail ....
    Is she getting a good full stage to play on ? good lights/sound etc. ??

10. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Kelly's GREATEST HITS - CHAPTER ONE has been certified GOLD.
    For a Greatest Hits record to be certified Gold after merely 8 months is very impressive. Well done Kelly. :thumbsup:

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Especially now when folks just download their favorite tracks of Itunes. Greatest Hits albums aren't a big deal anymore.

zen likes this.
  12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I actually bought this CD - my most recent CD purchase - in January, when Target had it on sale for $7.50 or something like that. I mostly got it to have her version of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" on a hard copy. But it's nice to have most of her biggest hits in one place.

I had the same attitude as some of the other people on this thread when it comes to American Idol winners - until 2005. That was when I heard "Since U Been Gone" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes" on the radio, and when the DJ said the latter was the new single by Kelly Clarkson, I almost drove off the road. "That was Kelly Clarkson?? That's a great single! I have to pay more attention!" And I have been ever since. I just wish her albums would come out on vinyl LP. The singles from her first two albums came out as 45s.

There are times when I hear a song by Pink and think it's a Kelly Clarkson song, which is a high compliment to Pink. Very different image, but similar pipes and a similar ear for a good pop song.

zen likes this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

Very similar to what happened to me...except I was parked. :laugh:

I "discovered her" via car radio in late 2004, while waiting for my band mates. I had heard of the songs "Breakaway" and "Since U Been Gone" but I still didn't know who sang them. Then wham!!! Within a 10 to 15 minute period (from two different radio stations) I found out both songs were by that Kelly Clarkson singer. Oh noooo!!

As Chief said earlier (in post#23), "Her American Idol past holds her back. People can't get past it."
    I guess Frank Sinatra was lucky that his radio vocal contest didn't haunt him.

I also wish Kelly's albums would come out on vinyl LP with good dynamics. She puts out great pop albums but doesn't get the vinyl treatment. Makes no sense.

14. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

That's the Deluxe Edition that has 21 songs and a DVD with 14 music videos. The standard edition has blue artwork.

15. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

My thoughts. Hmm. Another hottie that can sing. No shortage of them. Rather see another Patti Smith. :whistle:

16. zen

zen Senior Member

But there is a shortage of hotties that put out quality pop albums, imho.

17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That's funny - she has a once in a generation voice and she uses her "feminine ways" less than any pop star I can think of.
    Couldn't be more off base.

Galley, zen and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So if KC went anorexic and grew out her armpit hair she'd have more credibility? :confused:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  19. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

So I guess the Next album will be country ? Gonna be curious to hear it , Probably a smart move where country is pretty much pop now & the fanbase is huge ......plus we will probably get Vinyl !

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Nope.

Kelly likes her albums random and doesn't want to limit herself. She's been working on two albums this year. 1) 2013 Xmas album 2) a new studio album for 2014.
    Like all her previous albums, both of these promise various styles too.

In a recent interview Kelly said: "why would you want to buy an album that sounds all the same? That is boring. (laughs)

Then the interviewer says: I know a lot of those! Thank god for shuffle!!

Kelly responds: I know a lot of pop stars who are worried that their fans will only download one song and pass on their complete album.
    in which Kelly says to interviewer: that's because their album is crap...make the whole album good and they'll buy it."

Gotta love it.

Here is the full interview from Kiss 108 in (in Boston)...

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Adele?

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Cool , thanks ! yeh I just figured her showing up at CMA fest would see her heading country ..... Honestly I would LOVE to see her make an album with Vince gill Producing , I LOVE the song they did on her hits cd ............. Nice to hear she is finally gonna so an Xmas album :righton:

23. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I liked her hit from Breakaway and bought the CD. The rest did nothing for me, and I've never really liked anything she's done since. Still like that song, though.

That anyone could call her "beautiful" amazes me. She reminds me of that Spinal Tap song, "Big Bottoms"

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Well, yes and no. :)

Just to set the record straight: Frank Sinatra's amateur radio show win was in 1935, but it was no "big break." He was teamed with three other vocalists as "The Hoboken Four." The other three guys were never heard from again. Nor was Sinatra—for four more years. His real big break did come in 1939, when Harry James heard him performing as a singing waiter in a New Jersey club and hired him for his new big band. The amateur show appearance four years before had nothing to do with it.

zen likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dunno if I'd call KC "beautiful", but I think she's attractive... :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.