Ken Burns Jazz

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reader, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reader

Reader Senior Member Thread Starter

Just noticed that the visual arts forum was open!! During the past couple weeks I've been rewatching the "Ken Burns Jazz" DVDs again. I've enjoyed them about as much as any DVDs I have. I know the series got a lot of criticism when it was shown on PBS a couple years ago but I thought it was outstanding. How could you not love the films of Louis Armstrong in his early years. Many other things could have been included but it has made me go back and appreciate some older things that I had never really listened to seriously. If you've not seen it you should. Any other jazz related DVD's to recommend?

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Diana Krall's LIVE IN PARIS, but that's no secret around here:love: :love:
    Anything with Miles' name on it.

ED:cool:

Ron P. likes this.
  3. Matt

Matt New Member

I'm not sure what's on DVD, but there's a great, well-known documentary on the Blue Note label out there, there's various jazz TV specials (the famous one on CBS with Billie Holiday and Lester Young, another I've seen with the Miles Davis-John Coltrane quintet and even a segment spotlighting his collaborations with Gil Evans), the Monk documentary called Straight, No Chaser, and also the fiction film "Round About Midnight" starring Dexter Gordon.

I'll try to find some more specifics so you'll be able to find these.

Ron P. likes this.
  4. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I can only speak for the availability of these titles on laserdisc, but they've probably come out on DVD also.
    1. Saxophone Colossus, featuring Sonny Rollins. Great live footage (including Rollins jumping off the stage, breaking his foot, and keeping on blowing) and interviews.
    2. A Great Day in Harlem. The story behind the historic Esquire Magazine photograph. Again, a great Rollins moment as he tells the story of hanging around outside Coleman Hawkins' apartment. I won't tell you why.
    3. Last of the Blue Devils. Jazz from Kansas City.
    4. Imagine the Sound. Great short performances from the 'avant garde' of the 60's. Paul Bley, Archie Shepp, Bill Dixon, and Cecil Taylor. More than worthwhile for the Cecil Taylor performance.
    I also second the recommendation of Straight, No Chaser

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

After the quick check that I should have done before my post, Amazon has Saxophone Colossus, A Great Day in Harlem, and Last of the Blue Devils but not Imagine the Sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.