Kevin Smith Suffers a Massive Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pete Puma, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I had some lightheadedness with the blood pressure medication originally, but I soon acclimated to it and have had no further problem. I do have to admit the blood pressure medication made my ED medication more effective (yeah too much information, I know.)

misterclean likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Kevin's best film was made for less than $28,000.

Kevin is scheduled to come to Vancouver for a theater fundraiser in 3 weeks which will raise $35,000.

BluesOvertookMe and longdist01 like this.
  3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I love his discourse about when Prince hired him to do a documentary. Genius work.

4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

As a person who was never heavier than my build would allow, who has exercised since his youth, and who did watch what he ate, I believe that genetics pay a huge part in one's unhealthiness. While doing this, since my teens, I also gave blood and my blood pressure consistently rose to the point I had to go on medication for that, and cholesterol, in my 40s. At the time of my diagnosis, I was helping Mrs. Marmot train for a half marathon and was running 30 miles a week and already eating a low salt/cholesterol diet. I was in the best shape of my life ..... the doctor's suggestion was to exercise more and watch what I eat.

Best part? Ever since I've started the meds my breathing has never been the same. Within about three months I could hardly make a three mile run (which had been only a warm up). I tried all types of different meds to overcome the issue and never did, so now, all I can do is power walk; unless I want my face to look all red like it's ready to explode before I pass out because I'm lightheaded. My sitting pulse rate was 43 and now its somewhere in the 60s.

I always get a laugh when people claim genetics don't play that big of a part in one's health while living the "right" lifestyle does ..... but then they use the extremes of obesity, smoking, and alcohol as their argument for things you shouldn't do; while totally disregarding that, somehow, already healthy people get the same ailments as the supposed unhealthy people who are pushing their luck.

Not to say that Kevin Smith isn't pushing his luck with his lifestyle; but rather, your lifestyle is not always the determining factor for your ailments.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Correction to above....I haven't had a pizza in over a year. I do like pizza but there isn't a great pizza place in dc

bamaaudio likes this.
  7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love the guy, I hope he manages himself (as I need to) so we can have him around for a long time.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Old news(but new to me).....He's near 50, so he was bound to have a wake-up call.

Still think he's brilliant, so here's hoping for more great films from him.

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:whistle:

Simon A and vince like this.
  10. vince

He's done a 180 on his eating habits...... looks a little like RDJ now (to ME, at least).....
    As far as 'great film'......meeeeeeehhhhhhh.....He's hinted at some secret 'IP' that he's about to be involved in...
    But, he'll always be a better 'podcaster' than filmmaker to me!

Michael likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I admit I soured on Smith a while back. A decade ago I thought he was great, but the movies became crummier and crummier, and even his monologues/discussions seemed to be less engaging.

At some point Smith appeared to become more cynical, and that detracts from his appeal to me.

Very smart guy and could be very funny, but I get the feeling life experiences have dimmed a lot of his outlook/humor...

Humbuster and audiomixer like this.
  12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

You didn’t find Clerks cynical on any level?

13. Oatsdad

Yeah, sure - there was always an edge to Smith's humor. I don't claim he was sweetness and light.

But the man himself always seemed good-natured and fun and genial, and that impacted his humor. While he could be edgy, he wasn't "dark", if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong and he hasn't changed, but I get the impression he grew more morose and bitter over the years.

It feels like "Cop Out" kind of "broke" him, and he wasn't the same after that... :shrug:

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he's doing good and looks much different thinner...lucky guy for him and us.: )

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I think he's good at both equally.

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Kevin Smith

[​IMG]

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Good for him!

18. Oatsdad

Wow! Guess he only needs to buy one plane ticket now! :D

Pete Puma and trumpet sounds like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wanna do whatever he's doing (aside from the heart attack).

Dudley Morris and 905 like this.
  20. He looks great but is still attached to the "jorts."

somnar likes this.
  21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

If you've got a solid look, you stick with it! :righton:

Anyway, congrats to Kevin on his weight loss after his stomach stapling heart surgery!

22. vince

Both the wife and I are doing what he's doing;
    It's called a 'potato cleanse'; nothing but potatoes (with no butter, ketchup, salt, etc.) for 30 days.
    You can eat as much as you like, but, after a few days, you're not really gonna 'like'.
    Since the 1st of this month, we've lost about 20 lbs. EACH!
    So, it works!

Daniel Plainview and AKA like this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I've kept my weight off, but its a daily battle. I was in Alaska and it was easy to avoid sugar and flour, but portion control is a big problem with me. I try to eat 6oz steak, but I ended up eating 14oz. And King crab legs I ate 1 1/2 pounds rather than small portions. Its tougher to maintain weight loss that losing weight.

24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Judging from the photo above, I'd argue that such dramatic weight loss is far too drastic across such a short period. It shouldn't principally be about weight (although that's the usual barometer in our culture), but about building a more conscientious lifestyle that will engender a healthier weight long term. Such drastic weight reduction often results in a boomerang effect, but more immediately it can cause gallstones, dehydration and electrolyte issues.

BluesOvertookMe and genesim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.