King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am not particularly angry as they can do whatever they want; I am just a customer and will vote with my wallet, however it is clear that the big expensive boxsets are more profitable and have derailed the 40th anniversary re-issue schedule.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Just trying to be helpful, although I'm not quite sure why you'd be surprised at all about how these things play out. If you know anything about the history of how the Crimson albums were released (and I'm sure you do), I think you'd agree that Fripp and his merry band of cohorts deserve to get theirs in whichever way they see fit. He's just taking control AND making up for lost time after having his stuff mishandled and mistreated for many years. I can't say that I blame him. The record industry is a fickle bitch.

And honestly, of the 3 "color" albums, I'd much prefer the last. The way this is going, it's almost a guarantee that Discipline will get all the love again AND a boxed set next Fall to boot (ugh).

3. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I'm patiently waiting for the deluxe box treatment to hit THRAK, ProjeKcts, ConstruKction of Light and Power to Believe. I doubt it will go past THRAK, but still, it's always possible.

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  4. King Crimson in the afterlife! :)

5. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Since I like the box sets more than I like anything KC did post "Red," you have actually explained why I've been so happy lately.

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Power was featured (at least visually) in promotional material when the 40th series was first publicized. Light was conspicuously absent (Fripp declared it unsuitable, but I'm sure it was a business hostage until recently). So I think the intent is to re-imagine and re-issue the entire studio catalog. Of all of them, Light would be the biggest beneficiary of a remix, and spectacular in 5.1.

ProjeKcts have never been mentioned, but I agree. Their most ambitious work EVER would be stupendous in 5.1.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Plan9 and Chris Haley like this.
  8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Plan9 likes this.
  9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Finally!

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hope they are out soon. When was the last one? 3 years ago?

12. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Plan9 and Aggie87 like this.
  13. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Can someone please let me know if the CD sleeve notes in the 2013 2xCD reissue of Red (the one with the 2013 SW/RF stereo mix) are the same as those in the 2009 CD/DVD reissue of Red or does the 2013 reissue have a slimmed down booklet?

Thanks.

14. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I have both. There are a few less pages in the 2013 version. A lot of the content is the same, though.
    There are 16 pages in the 2009 edition, 12 pages in the 2013 edition.
    The 2 pages of text by Robert Fripp are the same.
    It looks like the 2 page notes by Sid Smith are likely the same (at a quick glance), but divided over different pages.
    A lot of the photographic content is the same or similar, but I count 14 photos in the 2009 vs 5 in the 2013.
    The 2009 edition has more small photos of all of of the people involved plus a couple of NME items.
    There is nothing from the NME in the 2013 version.

So, in summary, the core text is basically the same but the booklet is slimmed down.

15. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

murrays beat me to it but yes the other major difference is the lack of full color photos in the 2013; it is B & W only.

16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Murrays/italianprog - thanks very much for your responses.

I guess if I want the full run-down on this period, I will have to buy the Road to Red box set!

yardbuzzard and whiskeyvengeance like this.
  17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

It's the only way to fly ;)

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Over the past few days, I have been really enjoying reading this thread from the beginning and getting a great sense of the anticipation, excitement, disappointments, arguments and wonder of the 40th anniversary reissues (and particularly great to see SW drop in for posts and responses to questions).

Anyway, all of these comments got me thinking.....I currently own the 30th anniversary CDs for everything up to Red (my favourite along with ITCOTCK) and as most of my music listening these days is sadly limited to either my laptop or Ipod (with very good headphones), if I buy the 40th anniversary CDs, am I going to notice much of a difference if I'll just be listening to the CD material and not listening to all the new/alternative mixes on the DVD-As?

Am I instead better off spending my money on the expanded/box sets for Red and ITCOTCK?

Thanks.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 40th Anniversary CDs are the remixes (except for Red where it was finally remixed in stereo in 2013).

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought the In the Court of the Crimson King 40th Anniversary CD/DVD-A set and really enjoyed the 5.1 mix. This is the first King Crimson music I've bought and would like to grab a few more of the 40th Anniversary CD/DVD-A titles. Any thoughts on which titles have similar content to In the Court of the Crimson King? Thanks in advance :)!

Bill

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

In The Wake Of Poseidon is considered part 2. All of the KC albums up to at least USA are well worth acquiring, as well as those up to the present date. I prefer those prior to Discipline personally.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

John,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have Red, Islands and Larks Tongues in Aspic in my cart at importcds. Unfortunately In The Wake Of Poseidon is back ordered. How do those three measure up? Thanks again :)!

Bill

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Red and Larks's Tongues were recorded by a different lineup of the band. Those albums are less symphonic and heavier than the debut and In The Wake Of Poseidon. Islands is a bit more laid back and was also recorded by a different lineup distinct from the debut album band and the final seventies group of Larks' Tongues and Red fame. Personally, I consider Islands King Crimson's weakest studio album from the seventies. It's not bad, but it doesn't compare to In the Court Of The Crimson King, Larks' Tongues In Aspic or Red.

mshare likes this.
  24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Don't sleep on Starless and Bible Black. Same band as the one that recorded Larks and Red, although Red left off the violinist for the studio material.

petem1966 likes this.
  25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Bill, almost any KC album (except Earthbound, because of its appalling sound quality) is worth acquiring. I like all of them, but each for a different reason. You really can't go wrong. I would suggest sticking to the CD/DVD-A versions for a relatively consistently good sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.