King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I DON'T already own most of these recordings and am HAPPY this box is coming out. :pineapple:

2. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I already own many of these recordings and still am happy this box is coming out. But what about the concerts that have been recorded but won't be in any of the 3 boxes (LTIA, RTR and Starless)?

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Im glad i hated bootleg sound years ago and only bought Great Deceiver, Night watch and a couple cc then
    I felt i had enough live 72-74 kc

I got the Lark's box as a gift, love RtRed, and this is a must own
    Obviously the improvs are the big jems but also the variability in how pieces are played
    Bruford, cross and wetton never play the same way twice

If i already had these i would serious be a little bummed but still forking out for it

LouChang likes this.
  4. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

NOW you're making sense!

5. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I'm glad the French TV set is appearing here in audio form. Some of my favourite versions there.

6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Looks like a fresh transfer of the video is included as well on the blu-ray.
    If only they could get rid of the "special effects"

audiotom and MoonPool like this.
  7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've cheerfully passed on all the prior boxes. Can't afford 'em. Can't have everything. Got several live discs that don't see a lot of play time. All good.

But this box is loaded. Gotta think long and hard about my ability to pay. Just having more Larks' 1 in my vault makes this'un worth it. A few Dr Diamonds nearly seal the deal.

:help:

8. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Guessing what might or might not be on it is half the fun!!

9. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I've given up on these boxes. When I look at the material they're covering, I realize that, as big of a fan of KC as I am, the best live "versions" of the 72-74 band come in the form of the Great Deceiver box. These concerts may be complete, but the GD box material was picked because it was particularly special. I've bought many of the CC and DGMLive discs, and nothing comes close. Maybe I'll feel more interested when/if they box up the 80s and 90s material, which is more important to me personally.

GregK, penguinzzz and John Buchanan like this.
  10. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

You are very right. The CSNY was $55 forever on amazon, then finally it recently moved down to $40. Luckily I ordered it on deep discount for $34 no tax as well. If this stays above $200 I simply can't afford it

11. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I don't suppose I can afford it either. But the Crimson boxes are the one exception to my "no more super deluxes" rule, simply because they're at least 10 (nearer 20!) times better value than the standard "one album, four formats & marbles" SDEs.

(Although if the rumoured Who's Next box is as good as it should be, I may just lie to myself again :) )

12. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Oh Lord... Now I need to practically work three jobs just to feed my music jones.
    Trying to keep up with all the Beatles / Dylan and of late, KC new releases is rapidly depleting my fund$....
    Geese, just having to fly in to Chicago to see a couple shows from down south is turning in to a major expense.
    BUT, a man's gotta do what he has to do..

Marty T likes this.
  13. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I was thinking, aw, "I don't need this, I've barely listened to The Road to Red" but just now, I opened the RtR box and, rifling through it, discovered that I've listened to all but two or three of the discs.

These boxes are rather indulgent, but if you think of them as magical grab bags that you can reach into, pull out any disc at random, and be fairly confident that you know what you'll be hearing, yet will still be endlessly surprised... well, they start to seem almost essential.

blackmoreb35 and rtalwani like this.
  14. Maranatha5585

" Strange that the palms of my hands should be damp with expectancy "

I can hardly wait to see the new Crimson in Chicago!! YES!

Something tells me this might be like nothing before...

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  15. Marty T and Maranatha5585 like this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Hi Sallymae,
    Yeah, heard that thanks...

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  17. Thomas Brophy

Thomas Brophy Forum Resident

I'm still waiting on the vinyl release version of the Road to Red boxset,:laugh: but I dread to think how much postage and packing will be:rolleyes:

18. bill13

bill13 Forum Resident

19. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Could that possibly be Fripp in there ? If his hand was open, I'd think it was Hitler ! :eek:

Not to mention those were multi-track recordings. As with the 'Road to Red' box...the best performances and sounds were also the multitracks, much of what was already on the GD boxset.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Every once in awhile Amazon Canada will have some killer deals on stuff (or dvds/blus not yet available in the US, like the new Trailer Park Boys movie). I've never had an issue with them, though it takes a bit longer for the stuff to arrive. That's not a bad price at all. Inner Knot offered a pretty good pre-order discount though so I had to support them. The thing with these "limited" box sets and the like is I am not always confident that amazon (or whatever) will end up getting very many or any (or they will be extremely late in getting them), where you can be sure if you order from Inner Knot or Burning Shed you are guaranteed to get it.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Actually it is listed on Amazon UK - but without a price or availability. Not sure if this will be the true listing, but I signed up to be notified when it is listed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starless-Ki...UTF8&qid=1408573907&sr=1-29&keywords=starless

Quincy likes this.
  24. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

You're lucky you're not a Ventures fanatic in addition to The Beat-less, Dylan and KC (as I am). The Ventures have an insane amount of releases and reissues (puttin' several out every year since '59). I guess Zappa and Grateful Dead fans have it bad too - I'm only a marginal collector of them. Anywho, Starless is my favorite KC album of 'em all so I couldn't order this box quick enough. "Fracture" and "Nightwatch" are such wonderful masterpieces. -Marty

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  25. Maranatha5585

I agree Marty,,, MY god the shows were like a true spiritual experience.
    I saw them at the Stanley theatre in Pgh, PA. 1973/ 1974 very famous shows.
    Some of the very best shows I ever experienced... amazing!
    Drove in from College near Ashland Ohio to Pgh for Starless gig.. Well worth it
    Saw them at the Stanley in 1972 with Ian, Boz, etc my first Crimson show..
    Now , so hooked am flying to Chicago from down south!

Marty T likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.