King Crimson to tour US in 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gillcup, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

2. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]
    Here is the second promo hand bill for the final night at the World Financial Center, NYC concerts. On the final night .. I told Fripp I was the winner of his 'Goldmine' contest for the signed KC "Frame By Frame" box.

Winter Garden atrium was adjoined to the World Trade Towers...
    some nine years before the ultimate horror on 9/11/2001.
    [​IMG]
    Promo hand bill for both nights...

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  3. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Now that Wetton and Lake have passed, it's going to be hard to get the right vocalist.

4. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Same. They seem to be finally doing an official version of a bootleg from about a decade ago called The Guide to Larks' Tongues in Aspic, which is awesome. The new one will doubtless be superior, of course.

Also excited it's about the only official word I've ever seen about L5 being intended as a Larks' section. Now all we need is an EP with versions of Red and the VROOOMs to confirm that one.

5. Maranatha5585

Tony Levin ~ "King Crimson Set List"

Very rare authentic, original Tony Levin hand written set list.
    This vintage, used set list was for the Crimson concert on July 27, 1982
    at The Meadowbrook .. U.S.A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tony Levin ~ "Plectrum"

My first rare item from Tony was this concert used pick from the first Peter Gabriel U.S. tour.
    The incredible gig was at the great 'Stanley Theatre' .. Pgh, PA. on March 27, 1977.
    After the final song was finished, they all stood center stage- light slowly come up... then Tony
    shoots his pick directly out to the audience. Fell between me and my friend, he got it first.. tortured
    me for a week, then handed it over. YES!!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

o_O

7. Maranatha5585

Adrian Belew ~ "Plectrum"

Adrian gave this concert used pick to me directly following the Saturday or Sunday,
    Nashville Warm -Up weekend of shows from Thurs - Sunday at "12th & Porter" c., 2001.

[​IMG]

William Smart likes this.
  8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think Adrian Belew was a fantastic vocalist for KC.

And Jakko is an excellent vocalist as well, does justice to the Wetton/Lake material.

9. Maranatha5585

Greg Lake ~ "WDVE - FM 102" .. Company stationary

Personally signed station letterhead from Greg Lake.
    Back in 1984, I was working as a production assistant at the best rock station
    in Pgh, PA. I came in for my 12 hour shift in master control. There was a note there
    for me from the shift change... letting me know that sometime around 6:00 pm...
    Greg Lake would be arriving w his tour mgr for a live on-air, pre concert interview.
    Then at the end.. the program director asked me to record, and produce ''a station id
    promo'' w Greg for station use. I knew Greg was on tour for his second solo album,
    and I was dead sick I had to miss the show due to my weekend shift- 12 hrs on/12hrs off
    every weekend. WOW!! an amazing turn of events... my heart started beating super fast
    as I understood the import of the situation. I had worked w numerous great musicians
    and talent, but this was deeply personal for me.

They walked in the studio, and I was soon introduced to one of my all time heroes.
    The superb Greg Lake, and now I was not just meeting him- but producing a short promo
    spot with him. I was 29 and was excited and red faced, I could not get over it. Going on
    and on about what he meant to me as a life-long KC super fan, ELP, etc..

He was very gracious, and we talked before, and after our work. He obviously realizing
    I was one of his major admirers.. So, when it was over he tried to give me two back stage tickets
    when I sadly informed him I was in the middle of a 12 hr shift, with absolutely no way to go.
    He was sorry, and promised me a world-wide full access pass for the tour, saying I really hope
    to catch up w you somewhere. He told me to g0 to the Hilton downtown, and there would be an
    envelope there for me after he was long gone. This is the envelope with pass inside, along w
    a page of WDVE stationary he signed after the spot was completed. While he was there he introduced me to his tour manager, Steven Barnett from Manticore.

The spot went well, and I have the whole thing on a cassette somewhere, but haven't seen it in
    at least 30 years. It's a fun blooper tape, as Greg had a bit of trouble getting it out the first
    try, or two... He got it perfect the third try :
    "This is Greg Lake, and nobody rocks Pittsburgh, like WDVE - FM 102"
    [​IMG]
    One really interesting thing to note:
    Steve Barnett, has done very well over the years... he is now Chairman & CEO of Capitol Records.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    klockwerk likes this.
  10. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

KC a great autumnal band. Would have to immerse in the current
    lineup before considering.

11. Maranatha5585

The current line up is unreal. Superb. Very heavy, yet with the sublime beauty always found w Crimson.
    There is a mix of old /middle / and new members making otherworldly sounds. Flew to Chicago the last
    time they were in the States in 2014 for two shows. Nothing to even consider friend, and they play it all.
    GO... or you will most likely be more than sorry. Just my 'hot tip' to you.

12. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Bruce, thanks for sharing. Very cool stuff! :righton:

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  13. Maranatha5585

Thanks very much BoBo, I appreciate that!

boboquisp likes this.
  14. Maranatha5585

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Maranatha5585

John Wetton ~ King Crimson "LTIA" and "S&BB" LP's.

I got lost, and had forgotten to do my usual background write up.. on the above album photos.
    These were signed by John in the mid 1970's, and was the only time I was blessed to meet
    the great musician, and man. The "Larks'..." cover was signed to my then girlfriend and I.
    The "Starless..." cover signed at the same time, also shows the two ticket stubs from the 1974
    US. tour.

I was attending Ashland College, in Ashland, OH. at the time as a freshman.
    Class ? - NO problem ... Roadtrip! So we went to back to back concerts: Monday April 29, 1974 Pgh, PA. at the legendary 'Stanley Theatre' , then the following night on Tuesday April 30 in Akron, OH. at the 'Akron Civic Theatre'. This was always my favorite King Crimson line up of all. The legendary gig in Pgh, was immortalized in the Crimson "Starless" box set a few years ago. Sweet!

Interesting to note: the condition of my original "LTIA" LP cover, this was just a couple months before I would become a Beatles, Dylan, and King Crimson major collector, where I would soon turn in to a bizarre nut on NM condition of my discs/covers.
    Also, for decades it really bothered me that I had taped the original ticket stubs on to the cover
    with John's autograph so long ago. Finally, cutting myself some slack... I now absolutely enjoy the look, and the memories are that much stronger.

boboquisp likes this.
  16. Maranatha5585

Robert Fripp ~ "Exposure" LP

This was the first time I met Fripp at the "Frippertronics" U.S. tour.
    'Peaches' Fort Lauderdale, FL. July 7, 1979 in-store concert .. just off the A1A strip.

[​IMG]

klockwerk, jacethecrowl and albertop like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

King Crimson ~ "Wake Of Poseidon" and "Lizard" LP's.

Rare SIGNED test pressing LP's .. personally owned, and used by Steven Wilson during
    the remixing with Fripp a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Damn, Bruce, now you're just rubbing our faces in it! :laugh:
    Very impressive collection, sir! Again, thanks for sharing. :righton:

Maranatha5585 and Jimbino like this.
  19. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Wow. How did you get these?

20. Maranatha5585

KING CRIMSON ~ "Larks' Tongues In Aspic" LP

E.G. Records U.K. 12" WL Test Pressing.
    2 x one-sided 12" discs .. 100% authentic.
    Matrices: EGLP 7 A - 1U -1 / EGLP 7 B - 1U -1 Stamped in runout.
    Side A has hand etched "Townhouse".
    Have been hunting this one down literally for three decades, though it
    is the second issue, I consider it a gift from above.. so rare, these never
    come up ever. Original inner sleeves stamped 19 DEC 1986 w hand written
    matrix numbers on each. This came in a proper LP cover, though it likely
    was in a plain white cover when produced. Just added this six weeks ago to
    my collection. Truly a type of H.G. major chord for me .. of one of my favorite
    albums ever made.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    boboquisp and albertop like this.
  21. Maranatha5585

King Crimson ~ Rare Early Crimso Communications note by Sinfield.

Extremely rare U.K. yellow 10-page typed, and stapled note from Crimso Communications.
    This original and authentic letter was sent to 'Dale', a fan in the U.S. about 47 years ago!
    The letter discusses the new Dec 1970 release of "Lizard". Dating this letter to very early 1971.
    This is the longer British sized paper, and holds a great deal of information, discography,
    news, etc. Possibly one of the earliest KC communications to fans.
    At the bottom of page it's hand signed by the genius lyricist, and lighting guru Peter Sinfield.
    No bends, rips, tears, marks, or shredding, only some expected light toning.. NM- to VG+
    Still has original U.K. envelope mailer. An amazing Crimson historical artifact.. Priceless.

[​IMG]

boboquisp likes this.
  22. Maranatha5585

King Crimson ~ "Vrooom" CD
    DGM U.S CD Mini Album .. c., 1994
    "Vrooom" CD signed by entire King Crimson band.

Note:
    Below, is a very rare "Possible Productions U.S." early information ticker from Fripp /DGM U.K.
    Possible Productions was the early name for the U.S. sales side of DGM, later changed to the InnerKnot..
    The coolest thing is this early preliminary description of the new music, and probable name, etc.
    Have had this for at least 23 years .. absolutely authentic and original, from a very reliable source.
    This may indeed be an in-house info ticker, but the writing and description is full on Fripp!
    [​IMG]

23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Thanks Bruce!

24. drasil

drasil Former Resident

as they've done since 1981?

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  25. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Have not heard anything they have done past Red. I guess I'm clueless. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.