King Crimson's "In the Court of the Crimson King" on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrontalLobe, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

Re-listening to the 40th remix now. I often see the word clarity used when it gets talked about, but in places it is actually muddier than the original mix due to odd distortion on mixing decisions, bad tonal choices by Wilson. The crescendo of Epitaph being a very obvious one. A total cluster **** there imo.

Steven Wilson - "The intention is certainly not to try to replace or supersede the 1969 mix (which, like many classic albums, is what it is partly because of the limitations of the original recording circumstances), but to provide an alternate perspective to what must now be considered not only a rock masterpiece, but also the foundation stone of progressive rock."

In other words, it's an alternative, but most definitely not the definitive version. An interesting listen, but not something I would recommend as THE version someone should own if they only want to own one copy. Just as well the remix comes with the original mix!

Wilson's remixes are just curios imo, like the weird Belew overdubbed versions of Lizard tracks found on the Frame by Frame box set...

The original mixes still rule.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

That should read...

... odd distortion, bad mixing and tonal choices by Wilson.

And

... like the weird Belew and Levin overdubbed versions of Lizard tracks.

3. Magritte66

Magritte66 Forum Resident

My favorite is the original EG cd followed by the 30th. I love the pre-1989 EGCD's. To my ears, they are the best versions you can find, especially for LTIA and Red.

Front 242 Addict and ricks like this.
  4. C. T. Kelly

C. T. Kelly Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate on the different mastering when compared to other versions?

5. C. T. Kelly

C. T. Kelly Well-Known Member

I found a West German EG CD(800 030-2) at a flea market near Jackson the other day for nine bucks. I had been looking for a few years so naturally I almost fainted.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

any info of the Japan Black Triangle? same that...? or unique mastering?
    is good?

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

IIRC, the Black Triangle is a level-shifted version of the original EG disc, which is a more natural-sounding mastering than the WG Polydor released around the same time.

8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

11. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

vudicus likes this.
  12. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I'm not sure why people are calling the EG CD the "original pressing" when the Polydor CD came first.
    Discogs is a mess on that one, by the way. It looks like the same CD (800 030-2) is listed as '83, '84 and '85.

I remember buying mine at the dawn of CDs, when there were perhaps a dozen of them kept in glass cases in the front of the store. When I bought "Court" someone in the store walked up to me and said: "I wouldn't get that one, there's a lot of hiss on it." I couldn't have cared less. It was "Court" and it was on CD! :)

bhazen and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  13. Matti Virtanen

Matti Virtanen New Member

I have a version which I couldn't find on Discogs.

STEREO
    EGCD 1
    0777 7 86485 2 9
    Manufactured
    in Holland
    BIEM/STEMRA

Published by EG Music Ltd 1969
    An Observation By King Crimson
    Produced by King Crimson for EG Records
    ℗ 1969 EG Records Ltd
    MARKETED BY Virgin EG RECORDS LIMITED

Matrix / Runout: 7864852 @10 3-3-3-NL

14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

My favorites: the original EG cd MPO Made in France which has the same mastering as the original EG cd Marketed By Jem Records Inc (pre-remastered)
    I love the sound of the original cd , It took me a long time to get it but it was worth the effort,
    I also like very much the 1999 remastered cd 30 anniversary.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    yesstiles likes this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Can anyone help me with a question regarding extracting the files off of the 40th DVD-A. I have successfully extracted the remix 2.0 and 2004, my first attempt at this, but now I am questioning if I have the chapters right. Is chapter 2 the remix 2.0 and chapter 3 the 2004 remaster? Maybe there is a way to tell otherwise, track length etc. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ok never mind, there is the "Moonchild" edit to confirm it and you can hear what was done in the remix as well.

17. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Though it's not included in the poll, my pick goes to the very first representation of ITCOTCK on CD. The original WG Polydor. It has the best tonality to my ears, and makes for a warm, pleasant listen. It's actually the most "musical" sounding out of the other versions I've heard. Regardless of tape hiss, that old Polydor is a winner. I cannot recommend this pressing enough! (Though it's very hard to find, and can be a bit pricey. It's well worth the journey though. It took me at least 4 months of searching through eBay for one to finally pop up!)

The original US E'G CD would be my 2nd choice. (This is not the 1989 DE that I'm referring to.)

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I had that one... on my own system at the time it sounded dry and bright. Things changed a lot after I got rid of that one, so I have no idea what I might think of it today.

19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

The Intrigue
    I have a West German Polydor Vinyl which I purchased new, having only a pink rim previously (later picking up A//1 - B//1)

What could be of interest is the date on the inner sleeve of the Lp being 11/81,
    so for a long time I have wondered if there are similarities between this particular release and the first Red Face Cd edition.

could anyone with a Red Face Polydor post a 30 second sample from the title track 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'
    starting from just before the first chorus; three Lullabies in an ancient tongue...

Or if you have access to the Robert Fripp vinyl rip have you ever compared those two as another comparison?

I started with Cd’s in 1987 and soon picked up Poseidon, Lizard and Larks Tongues which all sounded fine,
    my next one Islands however sounded awful and was soon discarded with the trash.
    That is where and why I stopped buying King Crimson Cd’s until I plucked up enough courage to try again with the 30th Editions and the excellent 2004 ‘Original Master Edition’.

Ps. Don’t forget the sample :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  20. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Despite the clear prevalence of the 2004 remaster in the poll (71.6%) I find it interesting that some comments show a resolute preference for the 1999, a blind test would be very interesting...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. Front 242 Addict

I agree that the 1999 remastered cd has excellent sound but on Epitaph there is a Sudden volume decreases from 7:49 , it's some kind of Glitch.
    while on the original EG CD and on the DE The volume is fading gradually and naturally from 8:00.

grandegi likes this.
  22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah, I like the 1999 remaster better than the Original Master Edition. I don't like the eq on it.

23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree with this. I recently acquired the original EG 'Jem' cd and it is excellent. It is actually better than I was expecting and worth the 30-something dollars I paid. It just sounds warm and pleasing to my ear.

Front 242 Addict and yesstiles like this.
  24. The OME got my vote. It is quite nice, but I am grabbing the E.G. as well.

25. Front 242 Addict

This is a good example how a cd without the best source can have better sound from a cd which made from a better source becouse when you add to the better source too much compression or drastic EQ chances it makes the best source inferior.

kevin5brown, yesstiles and bruce2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.