"King Midas in Reverse" is one of the most braindead songs I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cookary02, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Excellent pop song. "Storm in a Teacup" that is, not "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep".

Mazda likes this.
  2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I keep watching that clip tho' - Sally Carr in her hotpants somehow makes it worth the torture of the song - 'Chirp' !

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I know right! Like when Dylan sang "You Ain't Going Nowhere", which is a double negative, A DOUBLE NEGATIVE! So the whole song doesn't make no sense. These lyricists I tells ya.

Rufus McDufus and Mazda like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You were lucky. We had to put up with this. Thank-you so much.

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Sorry, I keep getting distracted by drummer's combover.

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Astonishingly, at the time there were no fewer than THREE versions of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep on the airwaves at one time. As if one were not more than enough.

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Well actually, I started that thread and I also think lyrics are very key to defining the essential nature of an artist, in fact I’ve argued that point many times in this forum before. I hate it when people say lyrics are unimportant.

However I made sure to qualify my post by acknowledging the difference between the Hollies and Smiths lyrics in the intro to my post, as I was making the point that they arguably had several things in common worth discussing outwith lyrical outlook. Please don’t use this one instance to lump me in with the ‘lyrics aint sheet’ brigade as I’m very much not one of them!!!!

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Our house
    Is a very very very fine house
    With two cats in the yard

Doesn't Nash understand that if you let cats out, they aren't going to stay in your yard? They roam. Dog might stay in your yard (if you have a fence). But cats will not.

Ruins the song for me.

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

10/10 sir!

gregorya likes this.
  10. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

She lived an amazing life. There's a huge Wikipedia entry. She lived with (and wrote songs with I think I read) James Coburn in the early 1980s. I remember her from UK TV in the 1970s but was surprised about how much she did when I researched her relatively recently.

11. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

"She wrote the song "Sugar Me" for Peter Noone, but her boyfriend at the time, Dudley Moore, suggested that she should take a demo version to Gordon Mills, who urged her to record it herself"

MarkTWIC likes this.
  12. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

All the Americans on this forum are going.....WHO?......WHAT?......HOLLIES?

13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Ah, but the cats will generally come back. Nash at no point says that they stay in the yard the whole time. For that matter, the song says nothing about a fence or lack thereof, so they may well be fenced in for all you know. Before you object, there are people in this country who keep cats and have a cat enclosure in their yard, to stop the cats from roaming, getting hurt or killed, and to stop them from killing wildlife. Cat enclosures are quite popular in Canberra, I believe.

ajsmith likes this.
  14. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"There's one thing I don't understand. The thing I don't understand is every [mf-in'] word you're saying." DEA Agent (Bill Duke)

Mazda likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

He's a real dog himself, so he doesn"t understand cats.

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Nobody understands cats. And that's the way cats like it.

DTK likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

A talented woman. She wrote many hits for other people. I had a boyish crush on her at the time of Storm in a Teacup. Luckily, I didn't know about James Coburn.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  18. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

[​IMG]

mr.datsun likes this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Maybe they're not his. Cats like to visit neighbours.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

...but there was worse than Donny Osmond. He had a little brother called Jimmy.

Don't worry, I am NOT going to search for and post the clip.

Lost In The Flood and Mazda like this.
  21. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

it just keeps getting worse

22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Lovely.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

True, but I couldn't use him as an example, because I think his hit single may have been written by a British person.

24. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Or maybe they are statues of cats. Those will stay in the yard. Unless someone steals them.

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great post by Billo, but, at the risk of being a trainspotter, the lack of success of the album Butterfly couldn't have influenced Nash's sense of unease in writing Midas, which was released in September 1967; Butterfly didn't come out until late the following November. You could clearly sense on the album the ever increasing creative distance between Graham and the others; if you don't believe me, just play Charlie and Fred, and follow it with Try It and Elevated Observations. I saw the Hollies perform in support of the record at the end of the year, and the distance between Nash and the others onstage was also evident. Too bad they couldn't patch up their differences; IMO, his harmonies with Clark and Hicks were never bettered by those with the California ego boys. Wasted on the way. Plus, Joni eventually broke his fickle little heart.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    bobc, MikeM and tages like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.