Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I know you're not a troll."....I'm cool with that....:)

I was trying to counter the idea that a criticism of the mastering was a personal attack on the person behind it or that one should withhold expressing a negative opinion on someone's work because that person contributed to this forum.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Are you talking CDs because as far as I am aware there are no Legacy Editions on CD of the "early stuff"?

They're all Deluxe Editions rather than Legacy.

An important distinction, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

probably deluxe then ... expanded with the ep and single stuff ... and the three disc village ... apologies

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No apologies needed.

I was just trying to clear up any confusion because in the case of the Kinks CDs there could be, particularly with an album like Muswell Hillbillies, where there is both a Deluxe Edition and a Legacy Edition, with different tracklistings and different masterings.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yea some of the catalogs get a bit crazy ... from muswell hillbillies to word of mouth are the konk sacd's ... it's funny with those sacd's, several say they are surround and they are not

6. James H.

James H. Forum Resident

I would like to know about that one too.

7. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Oh. That's not what I was getting at at all. Nor was I saying anyone here is doing that. In a different post I mentioned that I defend him, but that wasn't in reference to anything recent, just in general.

What's going on??? Have we just reached a civilized conclusion in this thread??? :laugh:

bobcat likes this.
  8. InStepWithTheStars

Right at the beginning of the track there's a massive volume spike, on the line "lot out of life" and it clips like crazy. Let me see if I can find my post about it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    noahjld likes this.
  9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A lot of posters ask for guidance about recommended Kinks CD releases. Are we encouraged or discouraged to to mention the mastering or the sound quality? You can write about "free speech" all day, if criticism is criticised for its mere self, this is not a discussion-friendly environment anymore.

bobcat likes this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

If someone asks about the sound quality, then yes, they should be informed. But most of the time, it's the same people posting in this thread who already know the flaws. That's where it gets annoying.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks. That spike is on my 1989 Castle CD also and I think I can hear it on my Kevin Gray-mastered vinyl too so I think it may be in the recording.

Six Bachelors, Bonddm and noahjld like this.
  12. OK right now I am in my downstairs office listening to Deluxe The Kinks Kontroversy CD set (disc 2). It's playing on my B system, a more vintage rig with JBL l100 speakers. The first mono singe vresion of Dedicated Follower sounded a bit thin but the rest of the CD sounds really good. I know this album well and it is not a perfect recording to begin with, but the I think the deluxe sets are pretty good overall.

Still I prefer these albums on vinyl. At least the proper albums since the bonus tracks are unavailable in that format.

Just my 2 cents .

13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

That was always like that.

Lightworker, Six Bachelors and Adam9 like this.
  14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

So are these deluxe editions over? Its been a few years now since the last one was issued.

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Village Green super deluxe is in the works.. Arthur are possibly next

Matthew Tate and noahjld like this.
  16. OK Now I'm playing the the proper album of the Deluxe Face to Face. This sounds really good too. I mean as good as I've heard these songs anywhere on CD. I guess I missed the loudness memo on these. :tiphat: Maybe its my vintage rig......

Glenn Christense likes this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

Had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up!

18. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

Any idea if we are getting deluxe sets of Preservation Act? I haven't seen any info on those, and I would be all over it.

Bonddm, Matthew Tate and peachyg72 like this.
  19. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

It’s even fewer people if you don’t count those posting under new user names...;)

20. Try listening to them on headphones and see how long you can take it before your ears start to ache. On second thought, stick to your vintage rig and just enjoy them.

bobcat and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. My vintage rig is where I usually play from my CD collection (hey vintage for vintage records works great) . My upstairs main stereo is mostly for vinyl although I occasionally play CDs there too. Just haven't notice a real problem with these personally, but I never use headphones so I guess I'm good.

And I don't doubt that others feel differently. In 50 plus years, I've never experienced ear fatigue from music butI have a friend who does. Not sure why I don't ?

22. InStepWithTheStars

Aha! I knew it was you!

GetHappy!! likes this.
  23. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Not it!

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  24. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

As far as I know, the only LEGACY editions are the Muswell CD/DVD set and the expanded ShowBiz.
    The rest are all Hi-Res 24-96 downloads.

RCA/Legacy Recordings Set to Release Newly Expanded Edition of The Kinks' Everybody's in Show-Biz on Friday, June 3

The Kinks: Muswell Hillbillies (Legacy Edition)

bobcat and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. InStepWithTheStars

Ah, yes... as it turns out, it was @KinkySmallFace1991 the entire time!

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.