Kinks Deluxe editions 2011 (part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

If BMG reissues the deluxe Arthur without the glitch(es) in the mono "This Man He Weeps Tonight" I may buy it again.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Surely BMG wont screw this up and we will get at least an equivalent product to the OOP Deluxe Editions.

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

It was fixed by the mono box set and Hidden Treasures, so I might stand pat.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yeah, I've got Hidden Treasures. Don't have the mono box, but it's also on my Four Respected Gentlemen or whatever that's called. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a pristine Arthur Deluxe Edition if it's not too expensive. I was going to buy the Japanese which fixed it but it was a tad too pricey.

5. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

They must have just pulled them all for delivery, pretty much overnight. It does show that the online shops don't actually have them in stock even when they say they do!
    I would imagine that they're all sitting around in a warehouse somewhere, awaiting new covers. They're not going to destroy the discs, just repackage them.
    Yep. It's vastly annoying! My 'Face To Face' is still on back-order from Amazon after a month.

6. Yeah, AdrianSoundchaser–I know what you mean...Amazon UK's kept stringing me along, too...the copies I ordered from them were originally due to be delivered in January, and now have an "estimated arrival date" of mid-March, which I'm quite sure will change when mid-March rolls around.

Simply shoddy salemanship on the part of Amazon UK, since in our brave new world of corporate restructuring, it's now Sanctuary/BMG (not UMG)–the acquisition went through early last year. I was hoping Amazon EU S.a.r.L (the listed supplier on Amazon UK's pages) had backstock of the UMG versions, but they don't, and Amazon *knows* they don't. (Computers keep track of inventory really well.) According to the article in Uncut, they'll be rereleased by Sanctuary/BMG in May, and we can only hope that they're not downgrades in any way, shape, or form from the Sanctuary/UMG versions. Given that it'll be the Kinks' 50th, they effing well shouldn't, especially as all they really have to do is change the logo on the spine/back cover/CDs of the UMG versions.

Again, *really* getting tired of the way music monopolies and the ever fewer outlets one can purchase from are treating consumers, especially the more rabid among us (me, you, and most of the rest of the forum) who've bought the same music multiple times, only to find that there's a new "super deluxe edition" on offer a few years later. Which, being rabid, we do. Sigh...

7. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I'm guessing it's officially safe to say that the Lola Deluxe is NOT coming in February.

Don't be alarmed though. Like I said before, NONE of these Kinks reissues have come out on time. It will come. I have faith.

I do miss the times when Russell Smith and Andrew Sandoval used to be somewhat active in this thread though. I wish they would come back. Surely, they are still involved with the project despite the move to BMG, no?

Hep Alien and Bonddm like this.
  8. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Is the mono mastering on the mono discs of the classic Kink albums warmer and better than the stereo discs, in the same way the Beatles and Dylan mono versions are better than their stereo counterparts?

9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I wouldn't say "warmer," but the mono mixes are certainly more logical sometimes.

dead of night likes this.
  10. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

Mono vs. Stereo is always subjective as to which one is "better." But usually the mono version comes across as tighter and with more "impact." Stereo, on the other hand, (if it's a good sounding mix) can offer a vision of depth and the opportunity to focus on individual instruments that is sometimes lacking on the mono. They each have their charm, yes?

11. dead of night

What I mean is, are they mastered differently?

12. dead of night

How does the mastering of the new Muswell Hillbillies Deluxe compare to the old Rhino mastering?

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

March is nearly over and still no news re: Lola deluxe!
    I wonder if all the reissues tabled in the Uncut article are still going to happen?

14. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Record companies are never in a hurry ;) I really need "Lola" as well.

I'm glad I could finally pick up a copy of "Something Else" Deluxe Edition for about $30. So far, my deluxe collection is complete.

15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Sorry about the multiple posts.My iPad has had a meltdown!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The Something Else mono is mastered differently than the stereo - less compression. Smoother more listenable EQ. The other deluxes I felt the mono was mastered much the same as the stereo.

17. dead of night

Thank you. I wish one of the masterings would take the bright edge of Party Line on Face To Face.

18. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I just thought you were EXTREMELY impatient. :)

Bonddm likes this.
  19. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I have VGPS and Something Else, both great DEs. All I need is Lola DE and I am all set. Please post when it finally arrives!!

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I highly recommend the DE's of Face To Face, and Arthur, as well. For me, Face>Something Else>VGPS>Arthur>Lola represent an unbroken run of pure greatness.

I like the earlier DE's, and Muswell, too. Don't get me wrong, since you like those three, I believe these two other titles go hand in hand with them. But, I loves'em all!

21. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

Yeah, the 50th anniversary of the Kinks looks set to pass by with very little to mark the occasion.

Perhaps there's a chance of one or two releases by the end of the year. We can hope - better late than never.

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Are the reissues happening?

Some of these deluxe editions, which came out only a couple of years ago, are now selling for silly prices.

23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How true, Something Else is almost gone from the market.

24. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

i read something about the vgps in the mono box set being superior to its deluxe edition counterpart - is this true? and which one does the japanese shm-cd use?

25. If anyone's still looking for either "Face To Face" or "Arthur", Amazon.co.uk has them both for £29.99. Not as cheap as they were a mere few months ago, but the cheapest *new* ones I've seen in a while. They're fulfilled by Side Two (a Marketplace seller), but HURRY, because there's only a few left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.