Kink's File - PRT LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

Is anybody familiar with this title? I heard that the PRT pressings were quality and from a good source - this was only $7, so I thought I'd take a chance. It's a 2lp set - the first 3 sides are all mono singles and side 4 is stereo singles from '68-70. I wasn't blown away by side 1, but I don't have any of those songs on vinyl, so nothing to compare it to - I do have Something Else on UK (Greece, actually) mono, so I will compare. This one is a Canadian press, so maybe not as good as the others? Do others have this (or its UK counterpart) and what you think? I'd appreciate your opinions, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. funknik

3. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'd be curious to know about this release too. There is a nice copy in a local record store here (with a different cover) and I've wondered if it is worth buying or not.

Funknik, have you had a chance to listen to it all yet? What are your thoughts on it?

4. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

funknik likes this.
  5. funknik

I listened to the first three sides last night . . . the entirety of the mono programme . . . At first listen, I thought Side 1 (the earliest recordings) only sounded ok, but sides 2&3 both sounded spectacular - as clear and detailed as I've heard these songs. I suspect the tracks from my mono Something Else sound as good, but this comp is in much better play shape . . . I'm pleased with the purchase for both the SQ and track listing (which is great, although I would have liked a Village Green track or two) . . . for $7 it was well worth it.

6. funknik

Cool, thanks - my search didn't turn that one up . . . not a lot of useful info in here . . .

Regardless, I'm pretty pleased with this . . . it's a nice companion to Kinks Kronikles with much better sound, so it kind of replaces some stuff on that one . . . I'm pretty stoked to have all of those mono singles in one place - track selection is impeccable - everything here is pretty much a gem, even some of the earlier singles I had never heard.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have the UK version of this on Pye from the mid 70's and love it. Pretty much as described above - the first side is fine and 2-4 sound fantastic. A wonderful compilation.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have owned the Canadian release of this since it was released. It sounds fine, although I prefer my UK Pye NPL 18326 (black double mono album). It's nice to have most of the tracks in mono, the track selection is good except that for the 3 songs from the Kinks-Size EP on side 1 feel out of place. I originally bought it for stuff I didn't have like "You Still Want Me" and "Hold My Hand" (which was pretty hard to get for the longest time).
    My copy does not have PRT listed anywhere, just Pye.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a UK Pye copy (pink-ish label) and it sounds like to me that some of the stereo tracks on side 4 are in fake stereo. I could be wrong. Lola is the "cherry cola" version. Isn't that mix in mono only?

Anyone else notice this?

I think there are better compilation albums - the Black Album (all in mono), the 2oth Anniversary 3 LP box set, Dead End Street, Pye LP.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. Adam9

I remember thinking the the side 4 tracks are were "narrow stereo". I just checked my Canadian copy and they are indeed fake stereo except for "Victoria" and "Apeman".
    Of the other comps mentioned I have only heard the Black Album and I agree it's superior to The Kinks File.

11. funknik

yeah, side 4 is not so great either with regards to SQ - but it isn't any worse than many others. Sides 2&3, however, were well worth the price of admission for me - especially since I didn't spend any time tracking this down and it just fell in my lap -- I would recommend this comp to anyone for around $10-15 or so . . .
    I have never heard ''Waterloo Sunset'' sound as good.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  12. chacha

That's odd that they would use mono for the first 3 sides and fake stereo for side 4 - weird.

funknik likes this.
  13. chacha

Waterloo does indeed sound great on it!

funknik likes this.
  14. Adam9

My best-sounding "Waterloo Sunset" is on the black album.

15. chacha

Yep - one of the best. Also the original Pye 45 sounds great too.

16. funknik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.