Kinks Village Green LP sleeve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

As I know there was some confusion about this...

I just got the Kinks Village Green Sanctuary LP sleeve.

Result: It's the alternate stereo version both in tracklist and in mix (i.e. percussive effects are missing, etc.). It also *still* doesn't sound too hot.

That is all.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

That's the 12 track "Italian Version", right? I thought it sounds good considering it will never sound great, but as you say, almost like an underdub (missing percussive parts like tambourine (?) on Do You Remember Walter?, etc). Neat, especially since I didn't have the 2 extra tracks not on the PRT.

3. Vivaldinization

Well, yes, but I was hoping it was going to be an upgrade of the regular version (yeah, I know said regular version's never gonna sound great, but the mono tracks that've surfaced on various Sanctuary comps sound pretty good, and the current mono version sucks, so...)

-D

4. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Does it sound like the stereo version on the '98 release? Wasn't the '98 release sourced from vinyl?

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Coincidentally I just received my LP sleeve Face To Face CD.

I'm a little disappointed with it in comparison to Something Else. It sounds like the old PRT but with excessive top end.

I might skip the Village Green, especially as I'm reasonably happy with the PRT 15 track CD and Mr Songbird is available elsewhere, particularly on the essential Great Lost Kinks Album boot.

Incidentally there's a PRT Village Green CD on ebay at the moment which looks like it might go very cheaply.

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I've read that here several times, but I'm not sure if that's fact or opinion.

David?

7. Vivaldinization

It *sounds* like it...can't be sure. I don't have the '98 CD with me currently, so I can't do an A/B. That said, it doesn't sound all that hot.

-D

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The mono version without the tambourine is the way I first heard the song (on the great double black album) so when I hear the stereo mix the tambourine sounds intrusive and out of place.
    It's interesting that the alternate stereo mix has no tambourine.
    I know the Castle/Essential mono/stereo reissue is not held in high esteem here and I agree that the stereo tracks definitely sound like they're mastered inferiorly from a vinyl source) but when I first heard VGPS in glorious mono on it I gained a much greater appreciation of the album.

John

9. Vivaldinization

The thing is, the mono mix on that disc is both no-noised and oppressively re-EQed. Mono tracks that've surfaced on later Sanctuary comps sound *much* better.

-D

10. JWB

JWB New Member

How many versions of "Village Green" are there?

If I understand correctly, there is:

- 15-track mono
    - 15-track stereo
    - 12-track stereo, partially alternate

What is the best place to get each version?

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Reprise 15 track/stereo CD is still available through BMG. I got one not more than a month ago that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.