KISS fans - Opinions of the Remixes on "Smashes ..."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cooks420, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, everyone!

I'm a fairly new fan of KISS, and was curious to know what the diehards thought of the remixed tracks on "Smashes ..."

905 likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Love Gun - Ah, the remix I love and hate. Horrible drum sound, added keyboards, but they really gave Ace Frehley a highlight moment when they took out some of the end vocals and bring up the lead guitar parts.

Detroit Rock City - this mix is barely different from the Double Platinum mix.

I Love It Loud - it’s terrible...they took the big drums and make it sound like Eric Carr is hitting paper plates.

Deuce - another hit or miss remix; drums aren’t quite as bad as Love Gun, but they added some bad flange to the rhythm guitar. The fade out is extended so you hear some previously unheard work from Ace.

Calling Dr. Love - remix of the Double Platinum version; bad drum sound and otherwise unremarkable.

Strutter - Not to be a broken record, but again with the drum sound!

Beth - poor Eric Carr!! After years of wanting to sing on a KISS disc this is what they make him do. Though I have to admit I like this version better than the original.

Rock & Roll All Nite - Same bad drum sound; they extended the fade at the end so you hear some extra gang vocals.

Shout It Out Loud - This remix is actually better than what Bob Ezrin did on Destroyer: Resurrected.

3. Cooks420

... yeah, so ... I have nothing of actual value to add to this - great breakdown, sir.

It's funny you mention your love/hate relationship with "Love Gun" - on the very first listen, I noted the keys and more prominent backing vocals. But now that you made me aware that they added instruments on the tracks and the original tracks simply weren't "remixed" by the most strictness of definitions, I have to wonder if they touched up the backing vocals as well.

And totally agree with "Strutter," the drums absolutely sound like ass.

However, my major issue is with that extra "SHOUT IT" at the end of the SIOL. HORRIBLE lol

Curveboy likes this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Shout It Out Loud is the best remix on the album I think. It's extended out with added vocals by 20+ seconds.
    Deuce is extended out by that much too.

Yes the drums sound weird but I like hearing the songs extended.

Cooks420 likes this.
  5. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I like the two new tracks and in my opinion this album has the definitive version of Love Gun. The rest of the remixes are unremarkable to bad.

Cooks420 likes this.
  6. Cooks420

So, KISS purists don't actually mind the new instruments included on this version?

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I had this on vinyl when it came out. I didn't care for the rework they did on the tracks. It was a nice gesture - just poor execution.

8. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

Didn't care too much about the remixes. Bought it when it came out only really for "Rock Hard". Love that song.

9. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I haven't listened to ST&H's in a long time but i really liked Lovegun with the faded out chorus to focus on the guitar solo and I also thought SIOL was a nice remix. i just can't listen to Beth with Eric Carr on vocals, it just doesn't sound right. I also thought I love it Loud remix with the neutered drums was a travesty

10. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I can't speak for anyone else and I don't know if I qualify as a purist since I'm not one of those Original Four only guys. I just love that version of the song.

jackinbox, Stephen J and Cooks420 like this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The remixes are awful. So many of the songs are completely ruined. Ironically, it was the release of this album that jump started my love of the band -- but I can't bear to listen to those rotten mixes today.

12. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I think those remixes are what gave Eric Carr cancer.

13. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Awful. Such strange production choices.

Paulo Alm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

On I Love It Loud yes it's awful but Shout It Out Loud, Calling Dr. Love, and Love Gun are good. Deuce and RNR All Nite don't make it worse or better. Plus the original versions are widely available. They did the same thing on Double Platinum in terms of remixes so at least it offered something different.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  15. Cooks420

With Vinnie as your avatar, I can't say I'm too surprised :D

Northwind likes this.
  16. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Shenanigans, hokum and balderdash.

keefer1970 likes this.
  17. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Overall, I don't hold too many negative opinions about KISS' music. But this album is horrible. I can understand those who appreciate the differences in the mixes, but the bottom line is I'm never going to reach for this album when I want to hear these songs.

And the two new Paul songs are quite possibly the 2 worst songs he ever wrote with the KISS name on them. At the very least, they're in serious contention for that dubious title.

I always enjoy reading KISS fan's opinions that differ from mine. But this album, together with the preceding one (CRAZY NIGHTS), came close to ending my nearly-lifetime love affair with the band. Again, you'll rarely ever hear me discuss this band in such a negative fashion. But you can be a diehard KISS fan and still safely pass on purchasing this album, in my opinion.

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

As messed up as that might sound, I couldn't help but laugh at this. Sorry Eric, I still love and miss you though.

As a side note, wasn't the re released version of the cd of Creatures Of The Night remixed also (the version that has the band without the makeup and Bruce Kulick on the cover)

19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Only the title track has a different mix.

dlokazip likes this.
  20. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Yes, it was... horribly so. The new artwork was an atrocious idea too.

Rhett and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  21. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Three tracks were remixed, actually.
    Got this from another thread, Shout It Out Loud: The 40th Anniversary KISS Album-by-Album thread (Part 2)
    Note 1985 re-release: On the 1985 re-release of the album track 2 and 8 were switched. My theory on the switch was a mastering call as they placed a shorter length song on Side 1 as it had 5 songs on it so it would master better. Also, for the 1985 reissue producer Dave Wittman remixed three tracks: "Creatures of the Night", "I Love It Loud" and "War Machine". On Creatures, you can tell the drums are toned down there is also a boom at the end of the 1982 version and that is gone on the 1985 version. War Machine and I Love It Loud has the drums toned down as well. "Danger" has an abrupt fade-out at the end of the 1985 version that is not [present on the 1982 version. The remixes are very slight from what I can hear from my ears but maybe folks can point out other differences.

22. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

The movie Dazed And Confused (1993) used the Smashes mix
    of "Rock And Roll All Nite" in a scene set in 1976 with those awful drums.
    To this day it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    It's also on the soundtrack album.
    :doh:

elgoodo likes this.
  23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'd forgotten about them for so long...UNTIL NOW

M321115 likes this.
  24. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Everything about Smashes, Thrashes, & Hits is a fail. The two new tracks, the remixes, the Eric Carr vocal on Beth, and the artwork. And I'm very forgiving when it comes to KISS.

William Smart and elgoodo like this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

rock76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.