KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

For the Van Halen song by song you might be able to get a lot of info from the interviews EVH did for Guitar World and Guitarist Magazine. They usually did an depth interview with him around the time a VH album would get released so that may help. They usually dig pretty deep. I assume Sammy did some pretty good interviews back in the day as well. I doubt any DLR interviews would give you anything substantial.

2. ‘Guitar geek sewing circle’. Priceless! Hahaha

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

VHND is a great source for Van Halen song info. They have song-by-song breakdowns on all the albums there.

4. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Goin'Blind : This has been a favorite of mine from the beginning. No it's not a power house rocker. But it's a beautiful song. So melancholy. Each member serving the song perfectly. From Peter's understated but powerful drums to Ace's haunting solo, this song strikes a chord deep in me. It's like you've found your soul mate and because of an accident or birth you can never see that love realized, in the studio version it's age. Lol in the Unplugged version it's a matter of species. Gene's vocals are so powerful and raw with emotions that the only way one could not feel his pain is if they were a Rock. Every sound in this song emphasizes that feeling. I love both versions. This song touches everything I feel should be in a song. Great lyrics performance, it touches you emotionally. This may be my very favorite Gene song. It's on every compilation I ever made. I think it elevates HTH, it shows that not every song has to be about sex, feeling good, partying. For me this validates KISS as lyricists as much as anything on COS. I can't say enough good things about it. Freaking A Love this song. Pax

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    D.B., RelayerNJ, dadonred and 5 others like this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

great idea

William Smart likes this.
  6. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Well said! You might be the only who really LOVES this song. I like it a good bit, but I've honestly never thought about the angle of love being out of time. Good call. As much as I bashed these guys for their lyrics, I've never had a problem with the "93/16" line. For me the 93 wasn't to be taken literally, more of "damn, I'm so much older than her...I might as well be 93!"

7. William Smart

Hotter Than Hell : OK here's another song that would have made a great opening track. Unless it goes against the norm to open with the title track. It's not fast but it is strong. Great riffage, Paul sounds fantastic and I love when Gene & I think Peter, sing Hot Hot Hotter than helllll. Some of the percussion sounds double tracked, little things I hear give me that impression. I swear I heard a cow bell and tambourine somewhere deep in the back and the kick and snare drum right before Ace's solo just don't sound like Peter to me. I could be selling Peter short Never the less this is a kick as S song. Full of swag and attitude. Another all out great performance by our boys in kabuki makeup. If it had a flaw, and that's a big F ing IF, it would be just a tad slow, but doesn't ruin the flow of delivery." No matter how closely study it, no matter how I take it apart, no matter how I break it down, it remains..... " Hotter Than Hell

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Can you imagine being the fan that gets a pair of socks as the special gift :laugh::laugh: - thanks a lot Gene.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Actually someone at KISSfaq bothered to check all of the Vault tour dates and actually counted the number of people who've purchased so far, it was over 300 as of two weeks ago.

10. William Smart

Did you know in Kabbalah, Gematria & Thelema and most occult circles that 93 is the number of love. It is the numerical value of the letters in Agape, which as we all know is Greek for love. One of those useless facts my head is stuffed with:D I thought to unstuff it a bit. Pax

npgchris and Cheevyjames like this.
  11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like how he says 'no, it's not my dirty laundry'. Of course it's not. That would be ridiculous. It's a bag of old socks! Totally different.

12. William Smart

They come with a warning : athletes foot is inevitable. Do not wear!

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and one of Gene's nicknames was stinky :faint:

14. William Smart

In that case it comes with radioactive symbol and a gas mask.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. Cheevyjames

He's radioactive!

16. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If he hadn't have burned the Polaroid albums, would that have been an easy option? He'd have had so many photos left over...

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  17. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

All those lean years in the 80's and 90's and I'm to believe they hung onto a bag of used gym socks?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!:drool:

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

As Superintendent Hastings in Line Of Duty said a few times - God, give me strength:

[​IMG]

19. William Smart

As I wrote that the song was playing in my head. The new hit by Gene " Radioactive Sox" I've got sox! Radioactive sox for sale! I've got sox I got sox for sale... ale" come on gang sing! You know the words !......@npgchris take the high harmony! @GodShifter Let's hear the bass, @Terrapin Station guitar solo now!... No? Carried away again? Yeah yeah I know back to the corner and shut up...... no-one ever wants to play with me sniff sniff..... :goodie:I'll play with myself:D nurse Nurse NURSE! MEDS PLEASE!

20. Cheevyjames

<Headline> Billboard: KISS Sells Used Stage Socks to Pay For New Asylum Album <\Headline>

21. William Smart

A couple of days ago my wife is all excited. What's up I ask. Genes going to be on Kathy Lee and Hoda, he has a new book he's promoting. OK so I go in and watch. He sits down with a copy of his new book, but before he says a word about it he takes off his baseball cap and points at his head and declares " see I have hair Eugene. I have more on my back than my head, but I have hair. " At the time my wife says to me "why the Hel is he talking about his hair or implied lack of said hair. " I was at a loss for words, but now I get it. Poor poor Gene for all that bravado, self aggrandizing brouhaha, he is really quite insecure isn't he? If he had stayed in Israel any old Bedouin could have told him if you want thick hair that will never fall out all you have to do is wash your hair once a week with the manure of a black stallion. Not white, black! Not a mare, a stallion! And rinse with Camel piss. Doesn't matter if it's a cow's pee or not. But he left and lost his hair. But it's not to late Gene! Give it a try, but it has to be daily now. :D ain't you guys glad I wasn't your big brother growing up?

Cheevyjames likes this.
  22. William Smart

Let Me Go; Rock N Roll : who does that scream at the beginning? Does anybody know for sure? Cause at first I thought it was Paul, but as times gone on I sometimes think it may be Peter. Oh well just curious. It doesn't matter & it does not affect the song. For me The Star of this is Ace with Peter getting the supporting star Oscar for this or would that be a Grammy? OK let's deal with the Elephant in the room, it's too freaking short to be so awesome. One of those songs you wish didn't end. I could listen to a half dozen Ace solos like this one. Does Peter use a double pedal on the base drum? I know it's a single drum but does he use a double pedal cause sometimes that kick sounds awful fast for a single. Or am I getting old and too easily impressed? Not too sure, but I dig the h e L L out of this song. I forgot how tasty HTH was. I'm hungry for more. Peace!

23. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Since this thread is wrapping up I thought I'd list my Kiss 'prime cuts' of favorites from "Kiss" to "Dynasty". While I like pretty much every single tune from all of albums, if I had to boil it all down these would be my picks:

Kiss:
    Strutter
    Nothin' to Lose
    Cold Gin
    Deuce
    Love Theme from Kiss (yes, strangely, I love this tune)
    100,000 Years
    Black Diamond

Hotter Then Hell:
    Got to Choose
    Parasite
    Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll
    Watchin' You
    Comin' Home
    Strange Ways

Dressed To Kill:
    Room Service
    Getaway
    Rock Bottom
    She
    Love Her All I Can

Destroyer:
    King of the Night Time World
    Flaming Youth
    Sweet Pain
    Shout It Out Loud
    Do You Love Me

Rock And Roll Over:
    I Want You
    Calling Dr. Love
    Baby Driver
    Love 'Em and Leave 'Em
    Mr. Speed
    Makin' Love

Love Gun:
    I Stole Your Love
    Got Love for Sale
    Shock Me
    Hooligan
    Almost Human
    Plaster Caster

Alive II Studio Side 4:
    All American Man
    Rockin' in the U.S.A
    Larger Than Life
    Rocket Ride

Dynasty:
    2,000 Man
    Charisma
    Hard Times

24. Stratoblaster

See below...:cool:

25. Stratoblaster

Yes, yes....a million times yes.

I think that's my ultimate favorite Ace solo...