KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

Here Here! Hear Here? How does that go now? Yeah they can take a flying hike at a rolling donut. Doughnut? What Chris said

npgchris likes this.
  2. William Smart

Why TY bro you a good homey too! I know I know shut up Smart:D

@SammyJoe I came in around Peters solo so I'm staying to finish up. Or catch up. Catsup Ketchup hmmmmm start on DTK tomorrow please join me. Pax

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. William Smart

I had seen that on Twitter, all I could picture in my mind is that shot of him with the kid that made a model of his kit. Decent guy. Loved the fans. For real

MagneticNorthpaw and npgchris like this.
  4. William Smart

Room Service : DTK I'm a bit partial to this album as it was really my baptism into the band as a fan. Room Service a fun song, naughty without being overtly so. Nothing really special, but a nice bass line by Gene. Peters flying along at near sonic speed and how many tracks did Ace lay down exactly? A good vocal by Paul, fun. A decent enough opener. I like it Mikey I like it!

npgchris likes this.
  5. William Smart

I found this thread on page 10! That's kinda sad. Seems like only yesterday it was always on page 1.......

6. William Smart

Uh yes welcome to my page! I will be here conversely conversing conversatingly conversating and in general generalizing as many unfounded facts as possibly possible. If in the interim and mean time anything importantly non-important gets said feel free to reply or I wouldn't be conversing at all. Thank you for your time and now back to our regular programming. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BluesOvertookMe and Lonesurf like this.
  7. William Smart

Two Timer : Gene is two for two as far as bass lines go. Nice, slow, almost grungy. Great vocals by the Demon too. Despite an almost pop feel this song comes off almost..... Menacing? Short sweet solo from Ace. Peter sounds so good on these early albums to me. Never routine, every song gets special treatment by the Cat. I like that. My baby's a two timer...... That's why I buried her in the back yard. I told you it feels almost menacing. Love it!

npgchris and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, here's my few quick words of the songs from Gene's '78 solo-album I missed in april:

"Living In Sin", little boring and bland relic from the 70's. Forgettable song and as always so embarrassing lyrics.
    Verses and the beginning of the song are ok, but the chorus is really bad and so makes this whole thing much worse.
    There's something though that I dig in this song, so maybe I have to revisit this and see if turns out any better.

"Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide", pretty decent tune compared to the previous song on offer.
    The first part, "Always Near You" Gene's vocals have that melancholy and also the song has decent melody going.
    Guitars sound nice and fit there to the feeling. The transition part and later song part ain't anything that special.
    The second part is not so good one and feel like somewhat incomplete try at some more glorious song.
    Does this include the highest ever notes sung by Gene that's been recorded? It has to be..

"Man Of 1,000 Faces", this seems to be one of the so called ok-songs on the album.
    Maybe it should have been done with more down to earth and back to roots like stripped production.
    But this works like this and this album seems to be case where Gene is stretching and expanding his musical boundaries.
    Some of it works, some of it doesn't..

"Mr. Make Believe", pretty basic take on the singer-songwriter going on here with stripped-down basic production.
    It also sounds very much like some impression of The Beatles. Solid and mellow song, but it just feels too much unoriginal and pastiche.

"See You In Your Dreams", perhaps a bit weird choice to re-record this one.
    A slight differences made in favour of Gene's albums..but this one is seriously lacking Ace!
    Anyways here's what I said about the RARO-version back in the day:
    See You In Your Dreams", softy little poppy rocking song with groove which almost could fit into "Dressed To Kill".
    I don't there's too much interesting happening in the song really, it's just the chorus and other stuff going, nothing really stoods out for from that song except the little solo.
    Good hooky riffs and melodies bringing out their Beatles influences, Ace does solid solo again and I love it.
    There's another version found from Gene's solo-album from 1978 but that doesn't sound that good as the RARO version does (atleast for me).

The little bonus about the solo-album version of the song is that there's the british musician/actor doing the back-up vocals, man called Michael Des Barres.
    Michael Des Barres has had career with few different bands (Silverhead, Detective, Chequered Past etc) but he's most likely known for recurring role in the 80's tv-series,
    MacGyver, where he played the MacGyver's villain Murdoc. Murdoc was great and I remember it was always a treat to see episode of MacGyver featuring him, in fact he's got to be one of the best villains ever on tv.

"When You Wish Upon A Star", I was surprised when I heard the album for the first time many years ago.
    I think he did excellent work on this song, it sounds like really heartfelt vocal and sincere. Also, it is quite touching when you think the reasons he picked this song.
    It was indeed a bit weird and bizarre song choice first, but now thinking he sings it well and also I understand the meaning and surrounding happenings that made him choose this song for the album.
    It's not too usual for musicians to surprise people and fans totally, it doesn't matter if you like it or not, that's what he then wanted to do and that basically the only thing that matters.

Eventhough this album was sort of mixed bag, I have to give some credit for Gene as he didn't play safe with it at all.
    He chose to do some experiments and took risks, some of it worked, some of it didn't work at all.
    Think Im gonna revisit this album someday and also have to listen any demo or alternative-versions of the songs.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It only gets better with age...perfection!

10. William Smart

Get Away : Alright Ace! Practically a one man band! A nice base line by Space great guitar Peters vocals always groovy. But is it " by some way" or " by subway "? I swear I hear what sounds like an M to me. Ain't that about a B****:D

Nice to see a few people dropping in. Stay groovy! Peace

Lonesurf and npgchris like this.
  11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

The official "KISS: The Songs" thread Certificate is finished, and available to download for those of you who would like a copy.

I offered to mail printed copies to several thread regulars, but so far have only heard back from MagneticNorthpaw, Haggis Wampovich and Exile On My Street. If you do not wish a copy to be mailed to you, you do not need to contact me. But I thought I'd make the offer one more time. If your name appeared in this post
    and you would like a copy sent to you, please PM me with your address.

Alternatively, if you would like a Certificate with your name pre-printed on it, PM me, and I can set up a personalized download just for you. Otherwise, if I don't hear from you, I'll just assume you are going to print one out for yourself.

Thanks once again to @ejluther for his great work on this. :righton: :tiphat: :cheers:

We created it with two different wordings. One is more "generic", for those who might prefer something more standard. The other one has extra wording thanking you for your participation. Links to the downloads for these will follow.

12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Awesome, npgchris!

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

Yeah, I want one of those. It looks awesome. Thanks @npgchris & @ejluther. Very, very cool. Appreciate the hard work !!

15. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Sorry, having some technical difficulties. The links will be back up in a few minutes! :nyah:

GodShifter likes this.
  16. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Here is the first certificate, with the more standard wording.

If you would like to download a copy of this certificate, select the link below:

Certificate #1 (standard wording).jpg - FileFactory

This is a preview of what this one looks like. If you want to print this one out, use the link above. Attempting to print out this preview will result in a low-resolution image.

[​IMG]

17. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Here is the 2nd one, with the "Shout It Out Loud" header, and the slightly more detailed wording.

If you would like to download a copy of this certificate, select the link below:

Certificate #2 (SIOL wording).jpg - FileFactory

This is a preview of what this one looks like. If you want to print this one out, use the link above. Attempting to print out this preview will result in a low-resolution image.

[​IMG]

18. William Smart

npgchris likes this.
  19. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

These certificates will only be available for downloading for a couple of weeks. So if you want one, don't delay in saving it to your computer. Needless to say, please do not share these with people outside of this group!

I'm sure @ejluther would appreciate anyone taking a minute to thank him for his work on this. I think they came out really cool, and I plan on framing one very soon!

:cheers:

20. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Yes, all of the "core" albums are on there. Including some we barely touched on in the thread. But we thought it looked better like this than a couple of other ideas we tried out. Again, the credit really goes to @ejluther.

21. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Aw, shucks...don’t let him fool you, everyone, @npgchris is the engine of this train! I just helped with the window dressing...

22. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

What really happened was he did all the work, and I chimed in with opinions now and then! But thanks for the kind words! :shtiphat:

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Lies! Lies! All lies! ;) Seriously though, this thread is/was very special and collaborating with @npgchris was a real treat...

GodShifter likes this.
  24. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thank you, my good man!

The quality of the contributions from the regulars in this thread was really off the charts. It was awesome spending most of 2017 with all of you.

Thanks again for your design work, Eric!

25. William Smart

Rock Bottom : Love the acoustic intro better than the quickie electric version on the live. Love the live solo better than the studio. All of which has no bearing on how I feel about it. After the soft sweet intro it's balls to the wall, take no prisoners, kick as s Rock And Roll! What's not to love? Live it studio it still rocks like a Mutha! Paul's vocals here are one of my favorites, especially of his live performances. Pete lays down a strong, but simple 4/4 that just keeps it moving along. When Gene comes in at first it's like a rocket booster. Bammm we're off! Yeah, I mean Hel yeah I dig this song a lot. Always loved seeing it played live too. Lol I can see Ace just rubber legging as he solos . Awesome song

GodShifter and npgchris like this.