KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i concur

William Smart likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

hotter than hell is my favourite of the first three kiss albums. back in the day i tended to wrap kiss up in trilogies. 1 2 3 live 4 5 6 live, solos, compile 7, 8, 9 back to hard rock.
    i think there were some stronger songs on the debut, but hotter than hell seemed to hang together as an album better.
    got to choose, parasite, hotter than hell, let me go rock n roll, watchin you and strange ways all sit up in the top rung kiss songs for me
    all the way and comin home sit just underneath those
    i'm not a big fan of mainline, and i always hated goin blind. i didn't mind the fact that goin blind was somewhat of a ballad and the instrumentation is ok. i just thought they were the dumbest lyrics, just about ever.

3. mark winstanley

i always saw let me go rock and roll as the little brother of rock and roll all night

William Smart likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

another one of my favourite kiss songs.
    i read a review by someone once that said something along the lines of - watchin you gives you the idea that it would be awful to get stoned around gene.

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  5. mark winstanley

that's a fact

6. mark winstanley

i like the songs on dressed to kill, but the album feels kind of lifeless. i'm not sure what it is. it's kinda sterile. some great songs, but thin and lifeless.
    the dressed to kill songs benefited most from the alive takes to my mind, because the 8@11$ were there.

7. mark winstanley

along with rnr all night and come on and love me, this was my favourite tune on dtk. i thought the intro was cool and the song feels like it has a bit more punch than most of the others

8. mark winstanley

classic in all forms

9. mark winstanley

i think paul generally wrote better songs, but i had to be older to appreciate that.
    i think that media (and myself as a kid) was kind of hypnotised by the gene character.

10. mark winstanley

i remember listening to alive one day and "she" was playing, and my dad said, wow that's a great rock tune. always liked this song, even if the lyrics are a bit so-so

11. mark winstanley

yea too many songs are hard to appreciate when they have been thrashed to death. great song, especially live, but just murdered by everyone, so harder to appreciate.

12. mark winstanley

totally agree. i don't mind the post creatures stuff, but it's a completely different animal.

13. mark winstanley

great album. the one that really took me into the fold.
    my first album was dynasty and i really liked it, i was 12. one birthday my parents got me a bunch of second hand kiss records and this was one of them and i loved it.
    the whole aspect of is it live, isn't it live didn't really effect me too much. i only found out years later and by that stage i knew most live albums were messed with.

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Also when you consider some of the songs that they left on the sidelines for later releases (Watchin' You, Love Her All I Can, She) their debut could've been spot on perfect. My CD-R version of "KISS" is just that unfortunately there's nothing we can do to fix the Kerner/Wise production job.

15. mark winstanley

this is the album that gave me reason to argue with anyone that kiss weren't a serious band.
    i love this album and ezrin helped the band form this into (what i think is) the best produced album kiss made up to this point.
    although beth and great expectations were very different for kiss, i always thought they were great. with detroit rock city probably my actual favourite kiss song, king of the night time world, shout it out loud, do you love me, god of thunder and flaming youth, i think they made an album hard to better.

16. mark winstanley

that's awesome mate. thank you!

17. mark winstanley

to me this album was a good move. remind the early fans "hey we're still a rock and roll band, we're not going to turn into yes or whatever"
    some great songs. i want you, calling dr love, take me all top flight rock songs. eddie kramer using fairly simple techniques got a nice raw rock sound and even if it didn't win back destroyers detractors it should have.
    to some extent it's a shame they didn't try something more exotic writing-wise. i mean black diamond on the debut had sent a signal that they weren't against the idea. they may have wanted to stand well clear of the progressive movement that was still around, but in the end it was a good straight rock.album

18. mark winstanley

that's one of the most beautiful descriptions of a song i have ever heard. kudos. it's probably a fight between makin love and i want you as my favourites off the album

William Smart and ejluther like this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

20. mark winstanley

i like this album but i thought it was the weakest of the second three.
    i stole your love is sensational. i have never seen it as any kind of rape song. the first verse sets up what the song is about. they had a relationship, she took advantage, he left her wishing she hadn't been such a pratt. it's probably the exact opposite story that comes up in "i still love you" from creatures.
    love gun is obviously a classic, tomorrow and tonight is a nice little rocker but the special thing about this album was ace taking the mic. this probably gave him the confidence to do the solo album when that story came around, and i'm glad it did because that solo album is a stone cold rock classic. great writing, great playing, nice use of odd time changes....
    good album, but time for a rethink as time would show us.

21. mark winstanley

i loved the idea of alive two. i love the fact that they made side 4 new songs. all american man was cool. rockin in the usa went on a bit much. larger than life was pretty cool. rocket ride was great. anyway you want it was ok. so although i liked the idea of the studio side, i don't think the songs were as good as i'd hoped. the live section was awesome to me. it just sounded like a blast. to some degree the overloading of the channels seemed to add to it lol. perhaps the live songs all being great songs and so dense made the studio side seem flat for me, not sure.

William Smart and YardByrd like this.
  22. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    carlwm likes this.
  23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

24. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

When Ace was announced as taking part in Gene's Vault scam I immediately thought back to the story of Gene going to Ace's house in the last couple of years and writing a few songs. I figured those two things were related.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's not a scam. He is offering an experience along with an 10-11 CD box set with memorabilia. You may not like it, but scam it is not.

Zoot Marimba likes this.