KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Talk To Me", I suppose this might be my most played song from this album. Ace sounds good with the vocals, sure he's now found more confidence (to what it was in the middle-70's).
    Good vibe going in the song, the riff is good and overall feeling of the song is very positive. Ace has good and casual thing going in the song, unfornately it gets maybe a bit repetitive towards the end.
    The solo from Ace is good, but it surely sounds more 80's calculated little radio-rock solo compared to Ace's more powerful and more unique guitar-solos from the 70's.
    Maybe this has still a bit of that spirit that it's more safe sounding and more produced than some of their heavier/darker stuff from the previous albums.

Just as you mentioned those speeding up the songs live, I think it surely got out of hand at some of the performances and songs. It was really problem and the songs suffered unfornately.
    It was ridicilous really with the Fox in the band (nothing against him but still), but also sure I know how some feel that the band played some songs too slow (be it also with Peter in the 70's or any reunion or post-reunion shows).
    The speed gave the songs energetic feeling, but some of the songs became more and more worse as the tempo increased and the songs really lost their edge.
    Besides, Paul liked to dance more in the 80's while he played and sang, so he played less and was in hurry, so in the end everything just suffered from the increased tempos.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

A little light reading this fine Memorial Day: the KISS cover story from PEOPLE magazine, August 1980. The first time a lot of us little kids (myself included) knew that Peter had been replaced. Of course, when I saw this on the newsstand, I thought Eric was just Peter, in "new makeup."!

[​IMG]

A link to the article: Cover Story: Rock On! – Vol. 14 No. 7

Wil1972, Tippy, npgchris and 6 others like this.
  3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

And again Gene looks like a gopher just ran up his butt.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Is it me or is Eric's makeup and costume absolutely atrocious? A fox ? Really? After the Catman? He couldn't have come up with something better than that?

For the record, I like Paul and Ace's costumes (Ace's cape might be a bit much), but Gene's getup is patently absurd. So dumb looking.

24voltsdc, SammyJoe, Rhett and 6 others like this.
  5. Exile On My Street

Talk To Me

So far this is the best song on the album, some of Ace's unique personality is apparent through the glossy production. I like how the guitars sound on this song and the record in general. To me this is the first song that has some actual bite to it, even if it's neutered to a certain degree. Another thing I like is how the background vocals, mostly Paul's, emphasize every second line, the heavy drums on the chorus give it some punch and OOMPH, very powerpop!

The "Talk to me-hee" towards the end does get a little repetitive but not very much to the songs detriment. There is a little flourish of the old KISS in Ace's solo and if this solo was calculated it's pretty catchy.

Not a 'great' song by any stretch but for me, the best on the record so far. There are better songs coming up so this wouldn't necessarily raise my meter on any other KISS record, here it sounds just fine.

SammyJoe, Tippy, npgchris and 5 others like this.
  6. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Ah...memories! Two quick trivia things -
    A) Eric's makeup design was changed soon after this shoot mainly because it looked like a big blob on his face from the audience and it needed that white strip along his nose to break it up; a decision I heartily agree with and the KISS-nerd in me loves as that means Eric's makeup went through an early phase just like everyone else's (Paul as a bandit, Peter's overdone look on the 1st LP, etc.). Anything was better than the first idea - "The Hawk":
    [​IMG]
    Eric Carr make-up

B) When Todd McFarlane put out the "Creatures" line of figures, not only did they not use, you know, the COTN costumes, they used that PEOPLE cover as a reference photo and gave Eric a red cape that he never had (but, strangely, no orange vest/jacket); it just looks like he has one because Gene's is draped behind him in that shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man, I love to geek out about this band!

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    905, 24voltsdc, M321115 and 11 others like this.
  7. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I agree. Eric's makeup and costume were weak.

8. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Talk To Me - I love this song, this is Ace at his most melodic and confident! His vocal delivery here is really outstanding and full of great Ace-isms! The backing vocals are very cool, lots of little changes here and there. The choruses might go on too long at times, but I'm helplessly sold.

The guitars sound rather crunchy yet breezy and restrained, never really "in your face", I think it works perfectly within the context of Unmasked. A smooth rocker! Ace's bass playing is pretty good too, and Anton Fig's drum rolls/fills are simply excellent!

I really think the solo is amazing! Ace injects a very melodic, really well-thought-out guitar moment into the song. Perfect and for-the-song kind of playing, nothing flashy here.

I think Talk To Me also works as a much needed change of air after Shandi - and I like Shandi, to a degree.

9. The Slug Man

Yes. Once again, the Ace songs on this album serve a similar purpose as the Ace songs on DYNASTY. After a pop song or two, it's like Ace is coming in and saying, "Don't worry, fans. At least I still like to rock!" I wonder if some of the metal fans at the time wanted to grab Ace by the collar and say, "You need to leave these dorks!"

SammyJoe, Tippy, npgchris and 6 others like this.
  10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Eric's makeup looks like he's going to a gay masquerade ball. Oh the fun he had!

M321115, SammyJoe, yarbles and 3 others like this.
  11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I'm sure a lot of us remember this.

Paulo Alm, SammyJoe, Tippy and 7 others like this.
  12. The Slug Man

Still, if the question "Whose Dynasty/Unmasked costume was the douchiest?"arises, the answer is "Gene's."

I should do a poll...favorite "Classic KISS" (pre-non makeup) costumes...

Club Days (1973)
    KISS (early-mid 1974)
    Hotter Than Hell (late 74-early 75)
    DTK/Alive (early 75-early 76)
    Destroyer/RR Over (spring 76-early 77)
    Love Gun/Alive II/solo albums (summer 77-very early 79)
    Dynasty/Unmasked (spring 79-late 80)
    Elder (1981-early 1982)
    Creatures (late 1982-June 1983)

For me, a 3 way tie between Hotter Than HEll, Love Gun, and Creatures.

13. I have the 2014 vinyl and I think it's one of the best of the reissues. The bass guitar cuts really well and I find it has a little more sparkle than the original. I'd certainly recommend it. It also comes with the original inserts too.

I've also been an advocate of the high resolution versions on HD tracks. These versions are my 'go to' for most of the catalog and Unmasked is one of, if not the best of the lot! Great separation of instruments and the guitars sound a little more prominent. Those unique sounding tones really stand out on both the vinyl and high resolution versions.

My two cents.

Tree of Life, SammyJoe, Tippy and 2 others like this.
  14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This is a great song. Much better than his stuff on Dynasty.

I'm thinking Vini Poncia probably deserves a writing credit here because this song is very 'musical' for an Ace song. I mean it's really not all that different than his other stuff overall but that chorus is so instantly catchy, and that middle part before the solo is just....musical. Can't think of a better way to say it. It's just very uncharacteristic of Ace.

So..what else. Great Stonsey guitars as mentioned. Great job by Anton as usual.. Bad lyrics...as usual, but they don't bother me on this like they did on Hard Times.

I don't know what else to say really except this is one of the best songs on the album, and maybe one of the best Ace ever did .

24voltsdc, SammyJoe, npgchris and 4 others like this.
  15. Exile On My Street

:biglaugh:

It would take KISS a few more years to realize it but, in retrospect, it was clear to me that at the start of the new decade and the departure of Peter Criss, this was the time to remove the make-up to coincide with their new 'mature' direction.

16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Never seen this before, but interesting that Sure Know Something was the first song.

17. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Unmasked should've been exactly that with Peter then Peter leaves and the band can move in a different direction. I think it would've been cool if Peter could've experienced Australia in 1980 as his swan song. It was actually Ace's last live shows before he left.

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I think it says a lot about what they felt was their audience at the time. It was really cool for them to do but it also didn't help them at all.

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Just sampled the song and did not care for it. Not as bad as the first two songs but nothing I want to listen to or spend money on.

20. The Slug Man

"Who is your favorite member of KISS?"
    "Peter Criss." D'oh!

And then half the audience questions are about Peter. D'oh!

Even as an 8 year old, I could sense things would never be the same.

Wil1972, Paulo Alm, SammyJoe and 4 others like this.
  21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

...whereas the other three all looked totally straight, right? :D

Thank goodness some real machismo was finally achieved when Vinnie joined :edthumbs:

22. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

At least it's better than the "Ankh Warrior" or whatever Vinnie's official character was.

And yes, Eric's costume is comically bad. FOX FUR!!!

23. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Still not as bad as an ankh on your face! That was Stoopid.

24. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

great minds think alike

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

The Love Gun costumes will always be my favorites; especially Ace's.

Wil1972, 24voltsdc, SammyJoe and 5 others like this.