KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

Cheaterrrrr! I'm telling Shannon!

npgchris and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

It's OK; Shannon already knows.

Her and I are going to hit the highway doin' 69!!

3. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Well-Known Member

Your comments on The Elder echo my thoughts; I was inspired by this thread to fully listen to it for the first time and thought a whole album in the style of the more heavier/metal tunes on that release would have been awesome. Indeed they are heavier with a certain style and sound that Kiss never really explored again. Some great hard rock offerings on The Elder, and unique for Kiss. I may have even become a fan again if they continued down that road at that time.

npgchris, Tippy and Terrapin Station like this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Forum Resident

It actually sounds like two of their songs combined, but not as good as either. :agree:

npgchris likes this.
  5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Forum Resident

I was just blasting "God of Thunder" on Ozzy's Boneyard coming home from work. I'm really looking forward to Destroyer. :nyah:

6. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

Another Paul song I love dearly. In fact Psycho Circus is a phenomenon (can't think of another record like that) - garbage from start to...well almost finish where it ends with 2 fantastic tunes - Dreaming and A Journey of 1000 Years. Both also sound a bit like Music from the Elder outtakes which is of course the finest thing you can say about any piece of music.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    npgchris likes this.
  7. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

Another thing that surprised me while I was reading the Unmasked Discussion - how come everybody commented on a reggae stylings of the bridge yet nobody noticed that Gene delivers the most McCartney-ish lines ever? I mean "Lonely people looking for someone, lonely people going their way...". And it wasn't the first time in history. Listen to Paul singing Molly and tell me it doesn't sound like a RAM or Wild Life outtake!

8. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

And speaking of Wicked Lester - how come KISS never recorded What Happens in the Darkness? It has a Number One hit written all over it!

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

I might have to steal that.

10. Terrapin Station

That's a good catch. I was going to comment on this tune having similarities to Elder material, and in my opinion it's not just Paul's voice (but it's that too) .

I wouldn't say that the song wholesale sounds like an Elder leftover, but it rather sounds to me like it might have been some Elder leftovers that were reworked to make a hair metal anthem.

npgchris, Tippy and antonkk like this.
  11. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Nice to see you aboard Anton!

William Smart and antonkk like this.
  12. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

Exactly!

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  13. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

:cheers:

William Smart, RelayerNJ and npgchris like this.
  14. antonkk

antonkk Forum Resident

I was referencing to Naked City of course.

RelayerNJ and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Yeah, I'm another. Like npgchris, I had a bunch. A couple different KISS, Zep, Aerosmith, Rush, Queen, Nugent . . . Um, I can't remember them all at the moment. But I wore one of those belt buckles every day for awhile though.

Oh--I just remembered that I also had some instrument buckles that were monochromatic bronze. A snare drum, a guitar, etc.

I also had an Oreo cookie necklace. I was sportin'.

William Smart, npgchris and dadonred like this.
  16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You've paid your dues in life
    Now it's time to cash it in and
    Get what you've urned!
    (WOAH YEAH!)

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

THRILLS IN THE NIGHT

Back in 1984, this was my favorite song on the album. I usually don't go for "story" songs, but I liked this one. That said, this doesn't hold up so well for me. I do love Eric's cymbal work, and Mark really does a great job on the lead. It's still one of the more interesting songs in the Katalog.

RelayerNJ, npgchris, Tippy and 3 others like this.
  18. Sandinista

Sandinista Formerly hightower68

There's still time.

:evil:

Curveboy likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter The Last in Line® Thread Starter

Well, for what it's worth, I had "Thrills in the Night" in my head all day yesterday so there must be something to it. Usually, I listen to a song and it's gone by lunch time. Not this one (I'm not saying it's good, but it is catchy and that's the mark of a good single). Yet this one flopped ...

20. GodShifter

GodShifter The Last in Line® Thread Starter

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS 1984 (Simmons, Weissman) (3:39)

A song that was originally offered to the English hard rock band Heavy Pettin’ in 1983 (in fact, it was one of five demos that Simmons presented to them) “While the City Sleeps” is a song written by Gene Simmons and Mitch Weissman. The song features rhythm guitar by Weissman and a rare performance on Animalize of Gene on bass guitar. Paul, Eric, Mitch Weissman, and Jean Beauvoir are on background vocals.

Weissman claims that the song is basically a re-write of Free’s “Wishing Well” and, as I suspected, he was responsible for about 90% of the music while the lyrics were a co-write between him and Simmons. Something I’ve noticed with Weissman’s songs are that the choruses are usually a little more intricate than something that either Gene or Paul would write. Weissman, of course, had been a part of Beatlemania back in the 70’s and had played many Beatles tunes over that period. He must have picked up some of Lennon and McCartney’s nuances of songwriting (and Harrison and Starr to a lesser extent) while playing those songs so many times. He just seems to have a good ear for incorporating melodic and more intricate lyric lines than Simmons or Stanley (as we recall he wrote the chorus for “Take All You Can Get” with Paul). Now, that’s not to say Weissman is a genius at song craft, but more to point out that there are sometimes subtle differences that can be picked up in terms of songwriting with KISS when working with co-writers.

I suppose there is a hint of “Wishing Well” in terms of the main lick of “While the City Sleeps”, but it’s certainly not a blatant rip off. The crunchy, accents of the rhythm guitar riff works well with verses (I also like the kind of ‘bends’ on the end of the lines ala “War Machine” and, of course, Black Sabbath). The chorus riff is really good due to the bass that almost runs against the guitar line and maybe I’m crazy but I hear a bit of Rush in it as well.

The only place where this song kind of fails is at the bridge (1:38) where St. John throws in some lead guitar flourishes as it kind of busts up the flow of the tune (it’s repeated at 2:52 with more soloing). I don’t like this aspect of the song much at all, but, overall, I find “While the City Sleeps” to a surprisingly good song for Animalize even if it is, perhaps, a little over reliant upon the chorus (a big Simmons writing fallback as we've seen). I’m going to go ahead and give Mitch Weissman the main credit for this one. I think he probably deserves it.

21. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

While The City Sleeps:
    The last of the four songs I like on Animalize and the one Gene tune I dig here. I'm not going to claim this is quintessential Gene, but it's a cool tune, I dig it and it's my third favorite on here, I like Gene's vocals, the backing vocals have some nice bite to them, music has a nice groove to it, really good for a Gene tune from this period.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS

Ah...the other GREAT Gene tune on Animalize!

Now, I didn't always feel that way...but something clicked with me maybe 5 years ago where I really fell in love with it. I really like Gene's lyrics (or Mitch's...don't care!) and think some are rather clever ('through the eye of the needle gotta thread your life')
    What I still don't care for so much is something about the rhythm is off...it always sounded like the tape running at the slightest of wrong speeds. I've learned to overlook it as I like so much about the rest of the song, especially the strong lead from Mark. I also love the little siren noise he throws in right before the end.

23. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

WTCS
    My first-ever hearing. Opens like old Rush. Gene's vox doesn't seem to match this music - probably just my expectations (or unexpected to hear him).
    Bridge/pre-chorus is nice (harmony), chorus is boring - I know now why the city sleepzzzzz. :p

Also, it's probably just my laptop, but very difficult to make out the words.

Haha on the "rare performance" comment.

I'm too lazy - which stunt-guitarist is on this tune?

I'd give it an 18" out of 10 ft tall flame bomb.

24. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Mark

25. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

That last little bit of WTCS really echoes the end of "War Machine" to my ears...