KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

It's a reasonable question: did he wear the guitar-necklace in the studio or did he actually finger some barre chords?

2. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I would guess that the heart of KISS's base is apt to be mostly male. I think that has been the case since the beginning. But you raise some interesting points about them hitting the listener/viewer over the head with sex. It's not that the other bands didn't push it, but, especially in the case of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi, the bulk of the videos focused on band performances or it was a subtle afterthought and not the raison d'etre. Plus, going back to our examination of why they were failing, they weren't exactly the prettiest guys. To a lot of teenage girls, they were probably having "gag me with a spoon" reactions to KISS in the Eighties.

I had to LOL at the line in bold. I think I likened him in this period to an air traffic controller on speed. :righton:

3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I agree here. But Sugar appealed to the masses. Personally I cannot stand it nor "Hysteria". To me, that may be the single most overrated record of the 80s. But millions disagree with me so what do I know?

4. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

At first glance I thought you typed Lonely Is The Hunter. :laugh:

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Who Wants to be Lonely is a good 80s glam metal song with an awful, and I mean awful video. Paul and Gene have faces made for radio.

6. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Listening to Asylum is making me nostalgic for Ace all over again. It's not just the lead guitar either. Ace was also a great rhythm player. Ballsy, groovy, and great tone. His rhythm guitar was all over the early Kiss records and IMO this is another thing missing from 80's Kiss.

yarbles, npgchris, YardByrd and 8 others like this.
  7. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

And the songs he wrote as well.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

it didn't stop a lot of ugly/uglier bands from becoming MTV darlings, bottom line the songs weren't good enough in the eyes of the general public, also KISS still had an image problem that wasn't helped by the way Gene/Paul conducted themselves in interviews at the time

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Scorpions were super ugly and somehow they got Heavy Rotation on MTV. At this point in the thread Kiss had yet to achieve Heavy Rotation status for any of the videos through Asylum.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Scorpions weren't going for a glam look though. I'd say Scorpions and Quiet Riot succeeded despite being ugly, partly because they were so ugly that you couldn't look away. Paul and Gene weren't THAT level of ugly, but they still had faces for radio.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

At this point I don't give a rat's ass who the guitar player is.

12. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I agree with you. Can not stand DL. Hate Poison, Bon Jon Bovi it's a long list I won't bore you with it. Liked Ratt, but for the most part the bubble gum/hair metal BS bands of the eighties were crafted for mass appeal. KISS was never that b4. I give them a pass because of who and what they were in the 70's. And for Revenge & COS. Sure nostalgia plays a huge part, but I can't forget the band they were in 74,75 & 76. Those shows make them the Gods of Rock that they are. I remember those days and say to myself all Gods fade in time. Even Pan

D.B., npgchris, The Slug Man and 3 others like this.
  13. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I know we'll get there but the Crazy Nights videos are not ridiculously sexualized like WWTBL, etc. - neither are the videos for "Tears Are Falling" or "Thrills In The Night" for that matter. And the Lick It Up videos are hardly as sexualized as WWTBL and U!AL. Then, of course, comes "Let's Put The X in Sex" and "(You Make Me) Rock Hard" and were back in adolescent sex land....

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The MTV equivalent back then was Much Music and I do remember KISS videos getting a fair bit of airplay starting with Lick it Up, they also played I Love it Loud and I Was Made for Loving You when they wanted to show the makeup version of KISS. They were a regular feature on the Power Hour and the half hour artist spotlight show. I could argue that their popularity didn't collapse as badly as it did in the U.S. given that all of their Creatures tour stops were very well attended so they had some good forward momentum going into the non-makeup era, at least in Canada.

D.B., npgchris, William Smart and 2 others like this.
  15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Random thought: some of you may know I'm a big Nazareth fan. Primarily because I love Dan McCafferty but I also think they had plenty of great moments, great songs etc - in the grand scheme of all things considered, I do know they are not a top tier band a la Zep, Stones, Who etc etc but I love them.

Anyway, decided yesterday to take a KISS break and have been listening to a Naz playlist and I was leaving work today, I found myself dying to hear KISS again and then it hit me: KISS was/is a better band in almost every way.

D.B., Curveboy, npgchris and 3 others like this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just watched those 2 videos the other day. They get more hilarious as time goes by.

17. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Who Wants To Be Lonely - Yet another Zep-influenced track. The problem here is that it tries too hard... and the chorus is annoying. Overblown and over-produced.

Bruce's leads do nothing for me in general, and this one's not an exception. Zero soul or drive, just there. Where's Ace?

I do think the verses are okay. This is a 5/10.

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

First thing I thought of. That's such a great tune.

William Smart and Paulo Alm like this.
  19. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

So very true!!!

20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I would love if a nice, clean, stripped down demo of this exists and popped up some day - I really prefer the earlier days in terms of the production - lots of separation and space.

I dig this song but it's so cluttered sounding.

21. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

First time I seen them on one of those concert shows back in the early 70's I was stunned. These guys are nuts I thought. But it grows on ya. Just don't try singing it or you may get locked away. Seen The Sensational Alex Harvey Band around the same time. Definitely not geared towards mass appeal, but dam they were good. Still wonder if Zal had any influence on Ace. I guess all old farts think their music was the best..... But in this case it was, still is, always will be.....kids what do they know mumble grumble dumb music grumble.....

22. I ALWAYS end up coming back to KISS. Flawed? You bet. But Alive! Is part of my DNA and the magic of that album is always there for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  23. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

WHO WANTS TO BE LONELY

Since I listened while watching the video (as opposed to just clicking on the original, music-only post), it's hard for me to separate the visuals from the music, but from a musical standpoint...I kind of liked it! Or at least, wasn't ready for it to end by the 3:00 mark. Paul is in good voice except for some of the "yodelling" in the middle. (Likewise, I liked Bruce's solo until he did the "slow tapping" part. For some reason, I only like tapping when it's fast a la Eruption, because slow tapping always makes it sound like someone is just learning to do it. Go figure). I can't really figure out what other songs this one resembles, other than "Immigrant Song" in the beginning.

I never thought I would say this, but so far, I like Asylum!

As far as the video...yes, it's ridiculous and doesn't really fit the lyrics. But I can see why MTV rarely aired it. As far as the girls...dayum! There's no hot quite like '80s hot. Especially the blonde who unraveled from the towel and had those little locks on her shoes.:drool: The band themselves looked and acted much worse than the video for "Tears Are Falling." I bet Gene's kids give him so much crap for his '80s looks. :agree:

D.B., Curveboy, npgchris and 3 others like this.
  24. The Slug Man

I would agree that KISS is, overall, a better band than Nazareth. I like Nazareth well enough (I only own Hair of the Dog) but they're kind of a quintessential "second-tier" '70s band (like Foghat, Argent, Black Oak Arkansas, maybe Uriah Heep, etc.) Love 'em or hate 'em, KISS has been first-tier since Alive! Even in the "lean years" of the '80s, they still always headlined and still sold at least some tickets based on loyalty/nostalgia/name alone.

D.B., Sandinista, npgchris and 2 others like this.
  25. The Slug Man

Are these charts available online? Those would be cool to look at for nostalgia factor alone.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.