KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Yep, Geezer and Bill. And a band virtually inventing a sound as opposed to any band (later Sabbath included) making their 20th album.

npgchris and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Uh, I beg to differ. Not one of my favorites.

3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I would very much like to give this post 250 "Like" 's!!

:tiphat: :cheers: :righton:

4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I know but I have learned to like you despite of that.:D

5. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

:cheers:

After reading all of the negative opinions on this one, I thought I was going to be the lone voice of support for this tune. (@BluesOvertookMe and @Curveboy gave it passing marks, but not enthusiastic ones). So I'm beyond delighted to read that my friend @SizzleVonSizzleton and I are simpatico on this one. Today happens to be my birthday, Mr. Sizzle, so that was a nice birthday present from you. ;)

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Damn brother, Happy Birthday!!!!:cheers:

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"It Never Goes Away", starts with almost promising Sabbath-esque riff. It just goes around and around, Paul doesn't do bad performance but I think his voice doesn't fully fit the mood that the song requires.
    This ain't really going anywhere and it just doesn't get going much. Not enough drama, excitement, mood and whatever ingredient you need for the song to fully open and click. One of the lesser songs, unfornately.
    Similar to what @Exile On My Street mentioned and said well, I feel that there's really so much AIC feeling in the songs that Im just wondering and thinking what could they have sounded if they featured more authentic and fitting voice ala Staley.
    Im getting kinda Morrissey (of The Smiths) feeling of the song title, it resembles me of The Smiths' "There's Light That Never Goes Out", which is masterpiece and one of my alltime favorites (but Im not gonna post the link here in case someone doesn't like them).

Anyways, I just have to post this song for you anyways:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Have a great Birthday man!

9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thanks a lot! I probably should have kept my mouth shut about that, but it kinda felt like I was getting a gift from you! :laugh:

10. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thank you, kind sir! We're actually gonna celebrate it on Friday. My wife's birthday is on Sunday, so our family is celebrating them both on the same night!

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

IT NEVER GOES AWAY

I understand why this song isn't garnering raves from our learned group, but I think this song is primarily about mood, and it features an incredible vocal performance from Paul, so it automatically gets recognition from me. But I get it; if you're looking for "feel good", or looking for melody, you're not getting it here. But as a piece of the overall COS puzzle, I like this one.

I think this is one of Paul's better vocal performances on the album, and he's definitely giving his all. I understand it if you're not buying Paul trying to sell you "gloom and doom", but he's definitely not mailing this in. And even if the song isn't the most compelling on here, just the sound of the guitars and bass is interesting. I think the production on this one is effective, and even if KISS can't do Sabbath anywhere near as good as Sabbath can, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate them giving it a try, especially in the context of the album overall. The guitar solo was a nice surprise, and varied from what I would have expected on a tune like this. "Outside, we search for something / Inside, we still have nothing" is a lyric that most of us can relate to, at one point or another, in our lives. In the end, the guitar sound, the production, and Paul's vocal elevate this beyond where you'd expect from just a cursory listen. 8.5/10

D.B., carlwm, Paulo Alm and 9 others like this.
  13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Hey man, may you and your wife have the greatest of birthdays this weekend. Relax and enjoy yourself, it's well deserved!

14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

IT NEVER GOES AWAY

Kind of like a jilted lover.

This isn't my cup of tea either...kind of drones along and the music doesn't exactly make me wanna do anything other than sleep.

15. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You'll be happy to know I'm with you and brother Siz! Watch me! I got it! Watch me! Heeyyyy I got something that makes me wanna shout! I got that thang that tells me what it's all about! I GOT SOUL AND I'M SUPER BAD! ......spinning that one for the birthday boy cause he's got soul and he's super..... God bless ya and many more to come. Iam

Well then HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the Mrs. I'll have to spin a little Marvin Gaye and Barry White :pineapple::bdance::goodie:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  16. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Out of the darkness of "It Never Goes Away" and into the light of "Super Bad", all in the same day. Only in the "KISS Songs" thread! :tiphat:

Thanks to you, @Exile On My Street, @SammyJoe and to all of the others that have sent me birthday wishes. It's much appreciated!

:cheers: to you all.

17. BluesOvertookMe

18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thanks, my friend! :cheers:

(Has Joey returned to performing yet? Or do you know? I haven't been following developments of late.)

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Happy birthday, brother! Seriously, good vibes sent your way for eternity!

I love all you guys. Thanks for making this thread what it is and so successful and enjoyable. My b-day is in 6 days which might coincide with the end of CoS but I'm not completely sure of the accuracy of that; doesn't matter! Have a great one!

20. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Of course it's the grooviest thread of all. We could even talk Frank (Z or S) and not be phased. So Fly Me To The Moon or I'm A Dancing Fool is equally valid. Gotta Luv it. Peace

Cheevyjames and npgchris like this.
  21. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Thank you, Jason!

If your birthday is on the 26th, it looks like we will be on track 2 of PSYCHO CIRCUS, which coincidentally, is a track that was leftover from COS ("Within"). Thank you for all of your brilliant work guiding this thread, the absolute BEST one here at S H Forums! :cheers:

22. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Ah...one of my favorite cheesy songs ever...
    "(my sign is) Cancer and my name is Larry, huh
    And I like a woman
    That loves everything and everybody
    Because I love everybody and everything
    And you know what, ladies,
    If you feel that this is you
    Then this is what I want you to do..."
    I'm with you on this - pure brilliance from Moz & Marr...

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree to disagree. Yes, Heaven & Hell (A grade) is better but it's about even with Mob Rules (both B grade).

24. BluesOvertookMe

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm pulling for him!

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

Mob Rules is an A+ for me (yes, I know that's an unpopular opinion), Heaven & Hell A, Dehumanizer B.